The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Lorax 2012 (spoilers)  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Ares the Ram

• Diamond in the rough
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 10 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online
    • Awards
The Lorax 2012 (spoilers)
« on: March 07, 2012, 01:09:54 AM »
Published by Illumination Entertainment (Dispicible Me) and Universal Studios, it retells the classic story of the Lorax and the Once-ler who chops down all the truffula trees.

The movie adds to this by starting after the book/old cartoon in the town of Thneedville. The smogulous smog had been lifted in the enclosed town by O'Hare and his air that he sells to the people, keeping him rich and the town supplied of clean air. The original story is told in 3 parts as Ted, the boy who goes to visit the Once-ler, visits him on 3 nights to learn what happened to all the trees to try and impress his friend and love interest. O'Hare tries to stop him but through a chase scene and breaking down the walls to reveal the wasteland outside of town, is defeated and it ends with the Once-ler watering truffula saplings as the Lorax returns.

I liked this movie, and the original story is the best part of it. The present scenes with Ted and Thneedville are fine but all the good comedy and emotion comes from the flash backs. Danny Devito is great as the Lorax, fitting the guardian of the forest and an ornery one at that very well. The 3d was good, Illumination studios being one of if not the best 3d movie makers out there. The best line  in the movie is by the Lorax when he's talking to the Once-ler after his company has grown. "Which way does a tree fall?" The Once-ler replies, "Down?" "The way it leans. Be careful which way you lean." I really liked that.

As for being better or worse than the one by Friz Freling, they both tell the story well. I liked the narration of the Once-ler in the original, the new one not having as many parts such as when the lorax lifted himself away. That part was silent in the new one, whereas the old one quoted the book, I think or at least spoke and was more powerful in my opinion anyway. Giving the Once-ler a face removed the possibility of anyone being the Once-ler, but I also having him more active in the story worked well, getting to see his face and expressions more often. While I will always like the original, I'd have to say I liked this one more.

I give this movie an 7.5/10  The orignial story was told superbly and it looks amazing, though the parts in the present with ThneedVille are just ho hum. A must watch.