The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Having problems with your post formatting?  (Read 7555 times)

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
Having problems with your post formatting?
« on: February 29, 2012, 03:10:17 AM »
It's been a somewhat frequent issue to see people who make posts that end up looking like a jumbled bunch of broken BB Code tags something like this:

[size=78%]example example example[/color]
[/size][size=78%]example example[/size][size=78%]example example example[/size][size=78%][/font][/size]

This happens because of the WYSIWYG ("What You See Is What You Get") text editor we have in place. For some people (possibly only in certain browsers), copying & pasting text from somewhere else into the post reply text box will result in a jumbled mess because the WYSIWYG editor tries to copy over the text formatting instead of just the text itself.

If you have this issue, there are two things you can do to fix it:

1. Click this little button before copying & pasting anything:
It switches the text box view from WYSIWYG to a standard text editor. Only plain text will be pasted into the box. You can also click it again to switch back after pasting if you want.

2. In the forum menu, go to Profile > Look and Layout. There is an option that says "Show WYSIWYG editor on post page by default." If you UNCHECK that option, you will always be directed to the standard text editor when posting a reply, so you never have to worry about copying & pasting. Even if you have it disabled, you can still click on the button to switch to it if you have a need for it.

Fixing this issue is outside of our control, so I hope this helps. If it's a big enough problem, we can disable the WYSIWYG editor for everyone, but we'd prefer not to have to do that.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Bibliophilic Philosopher
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • How can you expect to win if you don't play?
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Timber Wolf
  • Coloring: Grey and white.
  • Height: 6' 4''
  • Weight: 180 lbs
  • Build: Lithe and strong
  • Currently: No longer a member
Re: Having problems with your post formatting?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 03:24:04 AM »
Thanks WZ. That is fantastic!

I've personally suffered from that problem a lot...
  • Signature art by: Puncia and Grisli (using art from Winged Zephyr) respectively

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 09:23:14 AM »
I noticed that problem when I was using Google Chrome's Private Browsing (Incognito Mode)

When I switched to Mozilla Firefox the problem seemed to go away. That might just be for my computer though haha
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 10:12:46 AM »
I got the WYSIWYG editor disabled by default, yet I do switch to it occasionally, yet I haven't noticed any issues.

Since this was implemented I've been using Mozilla Firefox Auroras/Betas as my daily drivers and occasionally a stable version.
Proud to be a furry!

Offline legolyle

• Dancing Dragon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online This user has donated to the forum.
  • Always right? You're doing something wrong!
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Dark grey-blue, with a nice grey streak
  • Height: 5'10"
  • Currently: Aliens!
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 04:35:20 PM »
this doesn't happen with just copying and pasting text for me, it happens when just regularly typing stuff in as well. It might have to do with me using chrome (non-icognito).
it just happened a couple minutes ago, I typed everything up in the box, pasted nothing, and posted, and the random code appeared >.>

also, another issue I've run into is extra line spaces appearing.
it happened in the aforementioned recent post, I typed everything up in the box, posted, and everywhere I had put (single) line spaces there was two, maybe three extra line spaces present-after posting it. If I edit it I can remove the line spaces however, which is sorta weird.
"if your philosophy is not unsettled daily then you are blind to all the universe has to offer"
- Neil Tyson

"When I told my father I wanted to be a physicist, he said, ‘Hell no, you ain’t going to work in a drug store.’ I said no, not a pharmacist. I said, ‘Like Einstein.’ He poked me in the chest with a piece of plumbing pipe. ‘You ain’t going to be no engineer,’ he said. ‘You’re going to be Einstein.’"
-Leonard Susskind
:'D those sorts of things make me smile.

~negotiator~

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 06:22:34 PM »
this doesn't happen with just copying and pasting text for me, it happens when just regularly typing stuff in as well. It might have to do with me using chrome (non-icognito).
it just happened a couple minutes ago, I typed everything up in the box, pasted nothing, and posted, and the random code appeared >.>

also, another issue I've run into is extra line spaces appearing.
it happened in the aforementioned recent post, I typed everything up in the box, posted, and everywhere I had put (single) line spaces there was two, maybe three extra line spaces present-after posting it. If I edit it I can remove the line spaces however, which is sorta weird.

Just regular typing too? I wasn't aware of that.

Did you trying switching out of WYSIWYG to see if it fixes it for you?

Art stream:

Offline legolyle

• Dancing Dragon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online This user has donated to the forum.
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 08:46:19 PM »
Just regular typing too? I wasn't aware of that.

Did you trying switching out of WYSIWYG to see if it fixes it for you?

nah not yet, because I didn't know about that until you posted about it^^ xD Ill give it a try though, see if I notice it again.

if it persists, as well as the line spacing problem, would a ticket be the best course of action?
"if your philosophy is not unsettled daily then you are blind to all the universe has to offer"
- Neil Tyson

"When I told my father I wanted to be a physicist, he said, ‘Hell no, you ain’t going to work in a drug store.’ I said no, not a pharmacist. I said, ‘Like Einstein.’ He poked me in the chest with a piece of plumbing pipe. ‘You ain’t going to be no engineer,’ he said. ‘You’re going to be Einstein.’"
-Leonard Susskind

~negotiator~

Offline x

• Haven't You Heard?
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 08:49:50 PM »
Yes, a ticket is always the best option for a persistent problem.

Anyway, sucks that I didn't see this till now. This is extremely helpful for me because I always either get the wrong size or I try to change the size, get the right size but then there's a [/size] tag at the end of the word. So this should be really helpful, thank you so much.
x

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 08:53:38 PM »
if it persists, as well as the line spacing problem, would a ticket be the best course of action?

Yes, a ticket is always the best option for a persistent problem.

^ What she said. :P Although I doubt that you'll still have problems when not using WYSIWYG, if you do, I'd like to know about it.

And I'm glad people are finding this thread helpful. :)

Art stream:

Offline legolyle

• Dancing Dragon
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 09:03:18 PM »
cool, disabled it  B) We'll see out it works out.

You can see in my last post, all those extra line spaces >.>
no idea where those came from...
- Neil Tyson

-Leonard Susskind

~negotiator~

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 06:21:16 AM »
I dunno if this is what you mean, but the emoticons are too big for one line so they push the line up

hello
buddy...

hello
buddy :P...
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline legolyle

• Dancing Dragon
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 06:36:37 AM »
nah xD not what I meant.

Like I said, I could edit them out afterwards with "modify" :P
they were definitely line spaces, that I didn't put there :/
- Neil Tyson

-Leonard Susskind

~negotiator~