The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: How did you find you fursona's name?  (Read 7673 times)

Offline Dirtcopter77

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
How did you find you fursona's name?
« on: February 10, 2012, 12:50:08 AM »
What is your fursona's name and how did you find it?

I'd start, but mine is still nameless.
Furry Code: FDL3adrw A++++ H-- M- R+++ T++ W Sm RLCT* a- cn++++ d+++ e++ f-- h- i++ j--- p+++ sm-

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Bibliophilic Philosopher
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum.
  • How can you expect to win if you don't play?
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Timber Wolf
  • Coloring: Grey and white.
  • Height: 6' 4''
  • Weight: 180 lbs
  • Build: Lithe and strong
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: No longer a member
Re: How did you find you fursona's name?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 12:55:03 AM »
My Fursona's name is Otebon Albrecht.

Otebon originates from a name I tried to build for a story. Originally the character was to be French and I found a very interesting name that was to be his (the original escapes me, sorry) in the passenger log of a French trans-Atlantic ship that sailed in the 1800's. With a few modifications, the name became Germanic sounding and far too good for me to let go of.

Albrecht is a German last name meaning "Bright Noble". It's honestly a reminder to myself of how I wish to live my life: Chivalrously and for the betterment of those around me.
  • Signature art by: Puncia and Grisli (using art from Winged Zephyr) respectively

Offline Aoren Deringer

• Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • When god closes a door, I plant a breaching charge
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: African Painted Dog
  • Coloring: Black, red and white.
  • Height: Standing: short. Sitting: Slightly... taller?
  • Weight: 97.000000000000017 Kg
  • Build: Medium build, muscular.
  • Currently: Working on the sweetest sciences
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 01:48:49 AM »
Aoren and Rekner were two characters I modeled after myself in two wildly different stories that eventually converged. Deringer and Ilon were their respective patrionyms. When combined they sound great, the characters fit me and I felt no reason to let go of them. So now I'm ARID- Aoren Rekner Ilon Deringer. Unfortunately that's too long so I normally go by Aoren Deringer.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 01:56:58 AM by Aoren Deringer »
  • Avatar by: Myself, during an experiment with inversion.
"Science isn't about being conservative with your cash, it's about spending as much as you can as ridiculously as you can and hoping it doesn't explode."
- Sjin

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!
-Aoren Rekner Ilon Deringer, F.D.F. Mechanised Unit Commander, Four Stars.

Life is an adventure! Sure, you'll probably spend most of it weeping uncontrollably, and on fire, but hey!

Offline Dirtcopter77

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 01:56:22 AM »
Those are all good names! To be honest, I created this thread to maybe get ideas to find a name for mine. I won't steal anyone's, of course! :P
Furry Code: FDL3adrw A++++ H-- M- R+++ T++ W Sm RLCT* a- cn++++ d+++ e++ f-- h- i++ j--- p+++ sm-

Offline Talos

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 02:44:46 AM »
Well...I love my fursona's name (Talos) becuz of the fact that it's the name of someone important. And I didn't know it until I was 12. I was thinking of several names, and Talos just popped in my head. It said "Fierce". It said "Friendly". It said "Warrior". I never even heard of the name, I just came up with it. When I turned 12, I got curious and looked it up on google, only to find out Talos is the name of a giant guy in Greek myths who is made out of bronze and defended Europa! So...it wasn't exactly original. But no one else had it. The only person who had a username or fursona name closest to mine was "Talon". I love my fursona name still.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 02:53:35 AM by Talos »

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Bibliophilic Philosopher
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum.
  • How can you expect to win if you don't play?
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Timber Wolf
  • Coloring: Grey and white.
  • Height: 6' 4''
  • Weight: 180 lbs
  • Build: Lithe and strong
  • Currently: No longer a member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 03:01:02 AM »
I love taking names from Mythology Talos... It's such a fertile ground for epic names.

Those are all good names! To be honest, I created this thread to maybe get ideas to find a name for mine. I won't steal anyone's, of course! :P

If you want, I can give you a database that lists common names and gives their meanings. I use it for stories, but you can use it for inspiration if you desire...
  • Signature art by: Puncia and Grisli (using art from Winged Zephyr) respectively

Offline Talos

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 03:04:47 AM »

Name Suggestions: Blake, Carty, Jenksh, Shade, Neo, Neron, Plazmah, Synergy, Duran, Pudge, Fury, Sparx, Linon, Bukin, Kaiser. I just made these up off the spot XD sorta. If you use one you don't need to give credit

Offline Joe King

• Avid Aardvark
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Hooded Cat
  • Coloring: Orange
  • Height: 5' 10"
  • Weight: 175
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: What's this? JOEKING is Evolving!... JOEKING turned 22!
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 03:30:04 AM »
My "fursona" is just one of many characters in a cast I've been developing over the years, having in mind some sort of TV-PG type cartoon (slightly adult in content, but relatively kid-friendly).  All of the names of the characters I've come up with are cheesy puns, usually referring to some aspect of the character's personality.  That's my rule when I'm coming up with a character- the name has to be a terrible pun.

For example- my main character (or "fursona", the one who's most like me) is a prank-loving amateur comedian, so his name is Joe King (sounds like "joking").  Other great names include:

Pocha Cola
Paul N. Mulleg ("pullin' my leg")
Mike Raphoni
Otto Water
Spot DeBal
Phil Aemer ("flamer")
David Burn
Caesar Passing
Ed Eucater
April Shauer
Cole Shauer

Not that I imagine anyone gives a crap, but if you'd like to read a little about each character and why they fit their names, I have a thread in the Character Galleries section titled "My little band of misfits".
More to the point though, Dirtcopter if you'd like to give me a brief description of the character you had in mind, I'll throw you some pun names relating to your fursona's personality.  I love trying to come up with good ones.

Offline Luggz

• aka Radge
  • Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Just your local friendly macro pink fox.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: fox
  • Coloring: pink and white with black ears and paws
  • Height: No idea, I've never stood still long enough to be surveyed
  • Weight: Not sure, the truck scales broke before we could get a reading
  • Build: lean
  • Currently: Macro fagging it up
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 03:36:30 AM »
Since my fursona is effectively me as a fox my name is one of my many nicknames. Boring compared to other peoples names but it works for me.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 03:46:13 AM by luggz »
"Here for a good time, not a long time" Colin McRae

Offline Dirtcopter77

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 03:41:48 AM »
It's nice of you to offer, but I'd rather think of my own name. I hope you understand, anyway, back on-topic starting now.

EDIT: it wasn't entirely off-topic before, I just mean let's give up the subject.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 04:44:53 AM »
Oh wow this is a boring story.

The name I use on this website comes from the word anonymous, anonymous was taken on the website I tried to join before (not this one), so I tried anon and anony, which both were also taken. So I tried to use the name "anoni" because y and i are similar in sounds. Thus my name.

My real online name is "bleese" which origin I keep a secret in the clan. Mainly because it's fun, people seem really interested on how I chose the name, the two currently theories believed by all my friends and clan members are that "bleese" is a combination of the words "Blue cheese". Or that I got bleese from "bleese toast" which... well... look that up on the urban dictionary. XD
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Luggz

• aka Radge
  • Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Just your local friendly macro pink fox.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: fox
  • Coloring: pink and white with black ears and paws
  • Height: No idea, I've never stood still long enough to be surveyed
  • Weight: Not sure, the truck scales broke before we could get a reading
  • Build: lean
  • Currently: Macro fagging it up
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 04:49:22 AM »
Its the bleese toast one isn't it!?
"Here for a good time, not a long time" Colin McRae

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 04:52:57 AM »
I'll never tell XD

Also, if you look up "bleese" on the urban dictionary, you get something that two clan members made as a practical joke about me haha
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Houshou

• Avid Aardvark
  • La petit morde
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Flying Squirrel
  • Height: 68 inches
  • Weight: 175lbs
  • Build: Runner lean
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 04:57:14 AM »
Houshou Rattengod

Houshou was developed by me slamming my head into the keyboard in frustration. Then rearranging the letters to better fit my Japanese language classes. Later I found it is actually a name for one of the Budhist Gods.

Rattengod was created after I had discovered the link of the first name to the Budhist God. I readily forget what his full name is but I do know its one of the four kings and his name starts with "Rat". From there, there are a total of "ten" "god"'s. Rat-Ten-God.
DC: Universe Online PS3 Characters:
Houshou - Hero - Sorcery / Healer CR 64
Guild: PS3Reapers

League of Legends: Summoner 18
Favorite Champions: Teemo, Gangplank, Ashe

Offline Boone Zofox

• A Custom Title
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Avi from Kaprika
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Black Fox
  • Coloring: Grayish black
  • Height: 6 ft
  • Weight: 150 lbs
  • Build: Athletic
  • Currently: Sarcastic . . .
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 05:36:58 AM »
Boone Daughtridge

The 'Zofox' you see with my profile is a little play on words for something that only my friends would get. As for the actual name. Daughtridge comes from my great(however many) grandpa who I share a middle name with, Jasper Hayes Daughtridge. I used to always use Jasper as my alias, but my brother seemed adamant on always using it so I was looking up 18th century names I could use in an RP I was going to join and Boone just caught my attention. Not to mention I was in the middle of rewatching lost and Boone was one of my favorite characters.