The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Collection of Megaman/Benny crossover sprites  (Read 2811 times)

Offline Count of Cutesy

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Am I cute?
    • Awards
  • Species: A mythical creature called an Almiraj.
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: Not good with height.
  • Weight: Not good with weight, either.
  • Build: Since I made this guy in a program that didn't allow me to change the bulk or build of a furry, I would say about Average.
Collection of Megaman/Benny crossover sprites
« on: December 16, 2011, 12:22:01 AM »
I have always been fascinated with the hacking community, and right now I am thinking of trying my hand at a Megaman X sprite hack. I remember trying out a Megaman 3 hack called Megalion, and I was personally fascinated by the sprites. I was thinking "If he can do it with Megaman 3, how hard would it be to do with Megaman X, as I care to re-sprite Megaman X more than Megaman." The reason for this is, well... I'm kind of embarrassed to say this.

I have been a HUGE fan of the Megaman series. But I personally don't mind the idea of a robotic human with an animal buddy who fights other human robots, but there's always been something about the idea of a human robot with NO animal buddy who fights animal robots that is a MAJOR turn-off. I might be picky, but the whole idea has kept me from enjoying the game. I kind of wanted to re-sprite Megaman X into an animal so the game is more appealing to me.

But for some reason, I want it to be more than just a main character sprite hack. I also want to edit the levels a bit to make it more fun for those who have already played the game a million times. Plus, I'm making the game about Benny, so instead of fighting robot animals, you're fighting robot mythical monsters, AS a robot mythical monster. Launch Octopus is going to be something like Dive Forneus, and Boomer Kwaranger might be Swing Oni, as well as other things. ...But I haven't gotten that far yet. All I have is a lone sprite of "MegaBenny."

They say the first sprite is the hardest, but I can't make the rest of the sprites until I'm confident about the first sprite. Right away, my problem is the shading. I have a hard time grasping what the shading should look like. The only thing I actually WANT to edit are the feet and the head, but I also want to create a NEW head instead of editing the existing head. I'm also having trouble with the ears. They don't seem right to me. Some help and criticism would GREATLY be appreciated.

I'd ask elsewhere, but I'm not sure of anyone else who would take me seriously.

Spriters Resorce: Not even worth a mention.
Sprite Database: A dying site, might not get my help there.
Anywhere else: Never heard of them, but they're probably not Furry Friendly.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 02:08:11 AM by Count of Cutesy »

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
Re: Sprite Criticism Requested
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 07:39:13 AM »
The ears are too round and bulbous-looking; it took me a while to realize they were bunny ears. Thin them out or elongate them a bit more and they'd look more rabbit-ish. Upping the contrast between the inner and outer parts of the ear would also help. Right now it looks more like a subtle highlight.

If you're going to be changing the shape of the head, you definitely are going to want to make it smaller, particularly on the top and back. If it were a human head, that dome shape might be passable, but animal heads are more flat on the top. Try bringing the top edge a couple pixels down closer to where the bottom of the horn is.

The shading seems okay to me for the most part, but you might want to raise the contrast on that too. Looking at the Megaman sprite, there's a bigger difference between the darkest and lightest shades.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Count of Cutesy

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Am I cute?
    • Awards
  • Build: Since I made this guy in a program that didn't allow me to change the bulk or build of a furry, I would say about Average.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 06:41:20 PM »
I get a few of the things you're saying, but I'd have an easier time understanding shading criticism if you showed me instead of told me. ...But I did try to edit the shading and the shape a bit.

Offline Count of Cutesy

• Eager Elephant
  • Am I cute?
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 07:40:41 PM »
Okay, now I have a good idea of what the beginning story is going to be.

"Hi, I'm Benny. Recently, I got a cool job as a Pizza Delivery Bunny, and I was
sent to the Cryogenics lab to deliver my first Pizza to a Mr. Wee Willy Winky....I'm getting sued for this bit.As my misfortune would arise, I fell into an open Stasis unit and froze for athousand years. I awake to a world ruled by Roark, a human from Kin-Taro who wishes to exterminate all non-humans. He has killed all who stand in his way,even my friend Gene and his family. Now, most of my friends are dead. The only one left is Carbuncle, a cephalopod creature who has the power of immortality.And I... It's apparently my job to stop Roark. Roark has the help of 8 loyal subjects. ...None of which are human.So I fear that Roark is under a higher power. ...But who."

The first paragraph is, of coarse, a parody of Futurama, hense the "I'm getting sued" bit. Gene is one of Benny's best friends. He, like Roark, is ALSO a human from Kin-Taro island. Gene, himself, is based off the same guy the island is named after, The Golden Boy, Kintaro. ...NO! Not Kintaro from Mortal Kombat! Completely different Kintaro. Gene has no grudge against the other races like Roark does, but there is a reason for that that will be explained either at the end of the game if I complete it, or I give up trying. The 8 robot masters are of Roark's loyal followers, however! They technically are NOT his followers, but the followers of a higher power, which again will be explained after you beat the game, or.... you know what! Spoiler:

Spoiler for Hidden:
Long ago on a planet known as Earth, there was an age-old war between two different groups of humans. These humans lived under two rulers: Saint Nick and Old Nick. Saint Nick led the army of justice against Old Nick, who's army consisted of evil people. In the end, Old Nick's army prevailed over Saint Nick's army. And with the army of Old Nick in power, many terrible things happened: Wars, depression, slavery, and other things. Over the years, the remains of Saint Nick's army fought off some of these problems, but even to this day: Problems caused by Old Nick's humans continue to arise. Saint Nick's humans are doing their best to stand out, but will they ever prevail over Old Nick's army once and for all?

Saint Nick, unsure of this, sent out to another planet to start life over, so he recreated the humans on another planet. But in addition, he also created new races based off his favorite legends. Many of these races are there to test the human's loyalty and kindness, and so far, they have prevailed. ...Until the day Roark came to the scene. Roark had risen to power and raised an army of his own. All those who opposed died, including Gene. Eventually it became all to clear, Roark was NOT one of Saint Nick's humans, he was another attempt by Old Nick to make life miserable for all. The 8 robot masters are also among Satan's followers.

...I'm trying to be creative with story telling, sorry if it comes off as dumb. ...Also in Benny's world, Santa/Saint Nick and God are the same guy. ...Again, trying to be creative.

I have one sprite of three of the robot masters, Strength Torun, Frigid Rabia, and Wind Labolas.

Strength Torun
What is Torun: A Torun is basically an original race based of Hayato Miazaki's Totoro. Torun do have a few original details. When a Torun grows strong, it grows claws on its feet (as I tried to show in the sprite). Only Torun who grow incredibly strong naturally get them. Torun imbued with strength by Magic do not, and lose their power when the fact is exploited.
The Sprite: The face is supposed to look somewhat pathetic, and I also tried showing claws on its feet. I also got rid of the coils on the back and added antennas. ...I'm not sure this came out well.

Frigid Rabia
What is Rabia: Rabia, or Decarabia, is an avian shape-shifter. In other words, it has the power to shape shift into any bird it wants to. Decarabia is commonly portrayed as a Pentagram star. In Benny's world, Decarabia is portrayed as a relatively humanoid figure with 5 wings in the shape of a star, but the avian shapeshifting ability is intact.
The Sprite: A lot more drastically changed that Strength Torun. It basically looks like Chill Penguin if he shaved his head and hit the gym. I also tried to put a star on its back, but it's hard to do it while keeping in the sprite constraints.

Wind Labolas
What is Labolas: Like Rabia, Labolas is short for something. In this case, it's the second word in Glasya Labolas. Glasya Labolas takes the form of a winged dog, and is the author of Bloodshed and persuasion. Also like Decarabia, Glasya Labolas is one of the generals of Hades. In Benny's world, Glasya Labolas and Decarabia were originally races made by Old Nick that eventually converted into peaceful races of Benny's world.
The Sprite: One thing I try to do in ALL of these sprites is to keep with in the sprite constraints, but this time the sprite's actually SHORTER in width than the original sprite. The dog head's pretty cool, though.

The sprites are at the top because I have trouble pasting in this forum, and I pasted them in the best place I was allowed to. Also, I want to do this project, but I'm not sure it's possible. I want to edit the sprites, the text, and the levels. ...But I'd rather do it without having to fiddle with Hex Coding. I hate Hex Coding! It's impossible to learn! I couldn't learn it if my life depended on it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 02:49:47 AM by Benny Bunnycorn »

Offline Count of Cutesy

• Eager Elephant
  • Am I cute?
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 03:24:51 AM »

New sprites, not that anyone cares.

I tried to make Swing Oni look more like a classic Robot Master. I thought the Din shoes and the shoulder plates were tacky, so I removed them. I also tried to give him a goofy grin to make him look more like the Oni's in Benny's world. Also, added a new sprite for Strength Torun. Basically a pose I like to call "Strength Torun is Winning! Yay!" pose.

Edit: Added Burn Gobi. If you want an idea of what a Gobi is, look up Kusegarudo. He's a character from Samurai Shodown who happens to be a Gobi.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 12:18:52 AM by Benny Bunnycorn »

Offline Count of Cutesy

• Eager Elephant
  • Am I cute?
    • Awards
Re: Thee bestest sprites ever made.
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 02:07:36 AM »

Here's some sprites I whipped up for the currently on-hold project for MegaMiraj, the portable version, which is a hack of Megaman Xtreme. ...And to be honest, the reason I'm trying to hack the Megaman X games is something I've been more open about as of recently: It's because the whole "Humans VS Animals" motif of the series has ALWAYS been a huge turn-off for me. I don't mind games that "Portray SOME animals as evil but not all" or games that "Portray SOME humans as evil but not all," cause it's kind of a double-edged sword for me. Unfortunately, this is not the case for Megaman X, which contains a grand total of ZERO animal characters that are not evil. And as much as I hate to admit it, a setting like that tends to make games less enjoyable for me. ...Yeah, I know it's fictional and not to be taken seriously, but that doesn't make it any better for me. I'm trying to hack the game's sprites and story to make a game that's more enjoyable for myself. And while it may not happen, I also hope to hack the level design to make it more enjoyable for other people who do not have the same problem with Megaman X as I do.

Oh, one more thing. The creatures in the white boxes are the robot masters. The blue character between the first four boxes is the main goodguy, Benny the MegaMiraj. The red character is Carbuncle, who is the secondary goodguy character.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 02:18:38 AM by Count of Cutesy »