The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Repo! The Genetic Opera  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Moongaze

• The original fox hat
  • Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
    • My soundclick page
    • Awards
  • Species: Red Fox
  • Coloring: Red/brown fur
  • Height: 5' 8" in anthro form. 3' 5" in feral form.
  • Weight: 130 lbs in anthro, 20 lbs in feral
  • Build: Sleak, athletic build
Repo! The Genetic Opera
« on: November 27, 2011, 05:31:39 AM »
Has anyone seen this movie?  I saw about 1/4 of it a year and a half ago then I found it and watched it through.  It is a good movie  :o

Like...  I was blown away seeing it through.  If you haven't seen it... watch it.  It will blow your mind. 
YES!  It's a musical, but that only adds to it's greatness.  AND... If you've seen the movie Repo Men... The Genetic Opera is better by about 1000%.  Repo Men stole the idea from this and just twisted the plot a little to make it seem "original."  But Repo! The Genetic Opera is by far one of the most original films I've seen in a long time.  If you're not a fan of gore... that's understandable, I wouldn't recommend it.  But otherwise... go watch it!  XD

Offline Vine Tabris

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • [hisses]
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Demon
  • Currently: visiting graveyards
Re: Repo! The Genetic Opera
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 07:06:04 AM »
I watched it because I enjoy musical theater, but I found it highly overrated. To be honest, I thought it tried too hard to be a "cult" film, which is something that should only come naturally and shouldn't be forced.
The actors singing voices were also sub-par by musical standards, I think only Anthony Stewart Head scraped by due to his prior singing experience on Buffy, brief as it was. I can understand how it's a hit to a certain audience, but to everyone outside that circle, it's not all that great.
And Repo Men did not rip off Repo the Genetic Opera, Repo Men was based on a novel called Repossession Mambo by Eric Garcia.
To be honest, I enjoyed Repo Men much more than Repo the Genetic Opera. In the Genetic Opera I felt like the stereotyped goth/cyber punk style was just being forced down my throat and that the film tried too hard to be "edgy." Repo Men had a dark tone without having to use goth and white-out contact lenses, and the twist ending made it all the more tragic.
tl;dr: I'd watch Repo Men over Repo the Genetic Opera any day of the week.

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 01:56:11 PM »
I actually love both the Opera and Repo Men. I thought they both did a really nice job of creating an intriguing story around the one concept.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
  • I am funny and intelligent. And attractive.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Twilight Leopard
  • Height: 9 ft long (274 cm), 7 ft tall (213 cm); tail, 12 ft (365 cm)
  • Weight: 2315 lbs (1050 kg)
  • Build: Stocky
  • Currently: *flop* One-man furpile.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 04:16:16 PM »
Honestly, I heard so many good things about Repo before I saw it, and I was rather disappointed. The song lyrics were so empty and meaningless I dare compare them to the mindless junk you see on MTV. Baby One More Time was DEEPER than these songs. Seriously. And that bratty girl that was the protagonist really made me clench and spasm. Especially during her "riot" song where she pretends to be a rock star. I had flash backs from Lizzie McGuire, that's how low quality and anticlimactic it was.

The ending on stage was just a huge mess, and there are giant plot holes all the way. The only thing I did enjoy was watching Anthony Head sing, as he was the only one with an "okay" voice. And I'm a sucker for handsome smart men. But even his songs were boring, bland, empty... I wonder if they hired a gang of high school students to write the music?

Though I did chuckle when Paris Hilton lost her face. And her brother wore it.

Offline Tails

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • YAY I HAS A OWNER ^^
    • Fur Affinity
    • Youtube
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf / Dragonite (genes) and fox
  • Coloring: purple/ white and blue
  • Height: 175 CM
  • Weight: 100 KG
  • Build: slim
  • Currently: Is trying to continue on his story
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 12:25:53 PM »
i absolutly love this movie it is the best musical movie i have ever seen in my life :)

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!
=  Chief Corpsman = ★★★ =