The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Skyrim  (Read 6740 times)

Offline Alexei

• Crafty Canadian
  • Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • To the moon
  • Species: Cheetah Fox!
  • Height: 180 cm
  • Weight: 66 kg
  • Build: Relatively Lean
  • Currently: Collecting the pieces of my life and putting them back together.
Skyrim
« on: November 12, 2011, 07:16:46 PM »
I got this game today and I don't think I stopped playing for a second.
I am absolutely hooked.

Share your experiences, reviews, characters, and whatnot here!
  • Signature art by: The Black Keys

I must admit
I can't explain
Any of these thoughts racing
Through my brain

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
  • I am funny and intelligent. And attractive.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Twilight Leopard
  • Height: 9 ft long (274 cm), 7 ft tall (213 cm); tail, 12 ft (365 cm)
  • Weight: 2315 lbs (1050 kg)
  • Build: Stocky
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: *flop* One-man furpile.
Re: Skyrim
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 07:24:44 PM »
I haven't seen more than about 20-30 minutes of gameplay, and I really hope the story and mechanics are amazing because the graphics sure ARE NOT. The graphics and design really disappointed me. Not that I had high hopes to begin with from the previous games...

Offline Sigcutio

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Your friendly neighborhood sea otter!
    • Awards
  • Species: Sea Otter
  • Currently: Otternizing
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 09:40:13 PM »
Although I don't have the game, from what I've seen on youtube I've been pretty impressed. The setting had me on the fence at first, but it looks like Bethesda really nailed it with some really gorgeous scenery. Content wise the game also sounds huge so I'm eager to see for myself exactly how Bethesda has crafted this Elder Scrolls title.

@Puncia: Disappointed by the graphics and design? I can see what you mean being disappointed design wise, but the graphics (to me at least) look stellar. However, I hear the xbox version of the game has had problems with some textures failing to load or something of that sort, perhaps that is what is detracting you.
  • Avatar by: Courtesy Fuzzymutt! Thank you very much ^^
  • Signature art by: Grisly! Thanks again! :D

Offline Alexei

• Crafty Canadian
  • Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • To the moon
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 10:32:48 PM »

@Puncia: Disappointed by the graphics and design? I can see what you mean being disappointed design wise, but the graphics (to me at least) look stellar. However, I hear the xbox version of the game has had problems with some textures failing to load or something of that sort, perhaps that is what is detracting you.
That's why I got it for the PS3, I was hoping it would be able to support the game better.

As for the graphics, I think they're pretty well done, especially for a Bethesda game.

I must admit
I can't explain
Through my brain

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 10:49:47 PM »
With the design I particularly mean the character design. Compared to other new RPG's they could have done a better job with everything from animation to looks to texture. Surely they have improved some since Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, but they still all look like caricatures to me. Might just be a personal preference. Hair, for instance, looks completely crap. Still. Even though it wouldn't be hard to upgrade it considerably.

Same thing with graphics. You can literally see the blurry pixels on the inside of your shield, and tree branches are sprites! It's so very, very disappointing for a new game.

Oblivion -> Skyrim

Rage

My POV is also from a PC version of the game. Not sure if that's better or worse but there you go.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 10:53:01 PM by Puncia »

Offline Døvu

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • kik: Dovuu
    • Awards
  • Species: Lion
  • Coloring: dark brown, tan, white, gold
  • Height: Anthro: 6'0 Feral: 4'6
  • Weight: Anthro: 145 Feral: 470
  • Currently: in need of attention
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 10:55:26 PM »
got the game yesterday and so far no complaints, i love everything about it and cant stop playing >.>. the environment graphics are amazing, even though the character graphics havent improved from the previous game, but that doesnt bother me at all, graphics dont really determine wether or not a game is fun or not.
FA: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/dovu/

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Alexei

• Crafty Canadian
  • Lovable Lion
  • To the moon
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 11:18:10 PM »
With the design I particularly mean the character design. Compared to other new RPG's they could have done a better job with everything from animation to looks to texture. Surely they have improved some since Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, but they still all look like caricatures to me. Might just be a personal preference. Hair, for instance, looks completely crap. Still. Even though it wouldn't be hard to upgrade it considerably.

Same thing with graphics. You can literally see the blurry pixels on the inside of your shield, and tree branches are sprites! It's so very, very disappointing for a new game.

Oblivion -> Skyrim

Rage
My POV is also from a PC version of the game. Not sure if that's better or worse but there you go.

While you do pose a good point, Bethesda has never been known for mind-blowing graphics.
They excel at atmosphere, storytelling, and freedom of choice, the fact that the graphics don't live up to Rage does not make it a better game, in fact I rented Rage and I really didn't feel the need to continue playing, it just felt like Borderlands with better graphics. Also, that last picture is from Fallout: New Vegas, not Skyrim.

I understand where you're coming from though, not everyone can enjoy Fallout or Oblivion.

I must admit
I can't explain
Through my brain

Offline Sigcutio

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Your friendly neighborhood sea otter!
    • Awards
  • Species: Sea Otter
  • Currently: Otternizing
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 11:20:05 PM »
Ah! This puts things into perspective. You make a good point there Puncia. However, I don't share your disappointment. Perhaps the graphics and design could have been better, but I am still happy with what is. (Hair does look pretty bad though  XD )
  • Avatar by: Courtesy Fuzzymutt! Thank you very much ^^
  • Signature art by: Grisly! Thanks again! :D

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 11:51:10 PM »
I do have a special interest in graphics and looks so I suppose I'm especially sensitive to it. As I said: I sure hope the game itself is great to make up for it. And I know perfectly well that graphics doesn't make a game good, but it plays a big part in games such as these when things are supposed to look "realistic" and today's technology would make a considerable upgrade pretty easy.

I haven't seen enough to comment the story and such yet, though I expect those to be pretty good. It's just that it's a shame that they didn't follow the quality level all the way.

Offline Boone Zofox

• A Custom Title
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Avi from Kaprika
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Black Fox
  • Coloring: Grayish black
  • Height: 6 ft
  • Weight: 150 lbs
  • Build: Athletic
  • Currently: Sarcastic . . .
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 06:14:36 AM »
So I just love the fact that for every video I've watched of it, the person playing has to make a comment about only furries wanting to play as a Khajiit or Argoinian when doing character creation. So honestly, who do you usually pick as far as race goes. I will probably be a Khajiit, but I'll at least consider the other's abilities first.

Offline Buddywolf

• Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Poster
  • Otterly Delicious!
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Currently: I am going back to places I once visited frequently! For a short time :D
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 01:47:20 PM »
heres a little experience I had in skyrim.  You may find it amusing.

This was after like 14 hours of play and my xbox was getting glitchy (mainly because I haven't installed skyrim to it yet)  Water spots were not loading properly, waterfalls were in the sky with fish, dragon attacks every 10 minutes. I came across a giant. He smashed the ground near me once, I had like 15 health points left and I was flying through the air.  I ran into a dragon high in the sky and he ate me.

Yeeeah! flyin through space and time!

Offline x

• Haven't You Heard?
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 10:03:54 PM »
I'm one for fleshed out characters with a personality...though that might make me a little eccentric  D: I have a nord character named Katie, she's a cold hearted killer with an odd heroic streak, and a dark elf named Ninn, she's a goofball bandit and theif who wants people to like her.

From what I've seen, Skyrim looks incredible! I want it NOW! :D Just the opening part in the wagon (from watching videos), then choosing race, had me hooked on it and I don't even own it. The graphics are not Final Fantasy 13 by any means, but after being used to Oblivion, I'd say they're beautiful. That's really saying something when even a graphically modded New Vegas doesn't look as good as the Skyrim I've seen. Skyrim really looks impressive, especially what I've heard about the NPCs, story and dragons...

Is it really as great as it looks, to those who are playing right now? Were you enthralled when you first started? :D I'm so excited to get it I really hope I get it soon.  <.<

I agree that the hair looks bad, but that's nothing new. All I have to do if the character models are bad is wait for a few mods to come out that improve those things.

The wait is killing me....
x

Offline Alexei

• Crafty Canadian
  • Lovable Lion
  • To the moon
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 11:55:57 PM »
So I just love the fact that for every video I've watched of it, the person playing has to make a comment about only furries wanting to play as a Khajiit or Argoinian when doing character creation. So honestly, who do you usually pick as far as race goes. I will probably be a Khajiit, but I'll at least consider the other's abilities first.
My first character is a Redguard named Rasputin who specializes in heavy armor and dual-wielded weapons.
I'll likely make my first thief a Khajiit and then a high elf for my mage.

This was after like 14 hours of play and my xbox was getting glitchy (mainly because I haven't installed skyrim to it yet)  Water spots were not loading properly, waterfalls were in the sky with fish, dragon attacks every 10 minutes. I came across a giant. He smashed the ground near me once, I had like 15 health points left and I was flying through the air.  I ran into a dragon high in the sky and he ate me.

Wow, that's messed up XD
I have mine on the PS3 and I was surprised with the lack of glitches, I haven't seen a single one so far.

I must admit
I can't explain
Through my brain

Offline Buddywolf

• Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Poster
  • Otterly Delicious!
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Currently: I am going back to places I once visited frequently! For a short time :D
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 01:36:19 PM »

Wow, that's messed up XD
I have mine on the PS3 and I was surprised with the lack of glitches, I haven't seen a single one so far.

It will be glitchy for you if you do 4 days of non stop game play.  But now I have it installed.  Haven't had a glitch ever sense.  Then again, I have to do another 4 day streak to tell you if it worked or not.  I need to upgrade my xbox to that newer model.  Mine is wearing out.
Yeeeah! flyin through space and time!

Offline x

• Haven't You Heard?
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 08:28:40 PM »
I'm hoping it'll work fine on my computer...I really want this game.
x