The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: How do you guys feel about the new tail fashion trend?  (Read 11448 times)

Offline Ziaki

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: black and red - green eyes
  • Height: 5' 6"
  • Weight: 150lbs
  • Build: Stocky
  • Reference: [link]
How do you guys feel about the new tail fashion trend?
« on: October 19, 2011, 04:33:42 PM »
Now I don't get out much but what I'm hearing from co workers that are in college and other people that do get out is that apparently wearing a tail is becoming a fashion trend.

Now maybe I'm wrong but I highly doubt that all these people are furries. How did it happen that something usually restricted to conventions, something that we would get called freaks or weirdos for is becoming a fashion trend?

I can't exactly pinpoint why it bothers me but it does.

It kind of feels like "Hey freaks. We're gonna steal something that is a symbol of your fandom and turn it into a fashion trend. But hey your still a freak."

I even had one person try to tell me that wearing a tail was a "punk kid" thing. I was like "Ummm no. Don't think so. Pretty sure it's a furry thing that 'punk kids, scene kids, or whatever, stole from furries." But then you know people get really really uptight and defensive when you say things like that.

So what do you guys think about this whole thing? Have you noticed it becoming a fashion trend in your area? Do you think these people are actually furries that are no longer afraid to show who they are or just more sheeple following a fashion trend?

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • I am funny and intelligent. And attractive.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Twilight Leopard
  • Height: 9 ft long (274 cm), 7 ft tall (213 cm); tail, 12 ft (365 cm)
  • Weight: 2315 lbs (1050 kg)
  • Currently: *flop* One-man furpile.
Re: How do you guys feel about the new tail fashion trend?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 04:38:53 PM »
I think raccoon tails have been a fashion thing since the 70-80's or something, hasn't it? It's kind of a punk thing, however it's usually just an accessory on the side of your belt.

In my area it's not a thing at all. Then again, I have never been to America so I don't know about there.

Maybe if it becomes a trend, it won't be as freaky to do any more? People get used to seeing them.

Offline Ziaki

• Vibrating Furby
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: black and red - green eyes
  • Height: 5' 6"
  • Weight: 150lbs
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 04:41:23 PM »
I guess your right.

But it just kind of bothers me that if I were to wear my tail people will look at me and lump me in with the punk / scene kids. Not that I have a problem with them but that's just not who I am.
I am a furry.

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 04:44:43 PM »
So you'd rather it was purely a furry symbol? In that case, you'll have to look harder. Just about anything today has a root in something else.

I'm not saying that furry has anything to do with this clothing style, but right now I think what the furdom needs the most to relieve the tension and bad rep, is that people get used to aspects of it and see that as somewhat normal.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 04:46:57 PM by Puncia »

Offline icy wolf

• the lone wolf
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf dog
  • Coloring: white
  • Height: 5.11 ft
  • Weight: 165 pounds
  • Build: medium
  • Currently: beeing playfull
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 03:16:21 PM »
this kind of bothers me that there stealing our fashion statements. i don't where a tail out in public unless its a fur con or iam suitting on a walk or at a party or both. but seeing this become the new fashion trend kind of piss me off ,  people would call us freaks or weirdos for being a furry but now wherein a tail is "normal". i don't like it, it should just be a furry thing not a fashion trend. i don't think this trend will last long though its better if it goes a way faster so people don't start to join the fandom for the hell of it. i like the fandom how it is now, people join it because they have a resion to not because its popular.

besides when we do where tails in puplic people stop and look some of them ask questions about it, even with suitting. and through these questions we can tell them the truth about what we are. not what the mida says. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 03:19:16 PM by icy wolf »
shadow hide you   

my fall will be for you, my love will be for you, if you are the one to cut me so i will bleed for ever

[/size]

FCX[wolf dog=]m3acdrsw A C++ D++++ H+++ M? P++ R T++ W Z Sm RLS a cn+ e+ f++ h* i+~+ j+ p sm+

^ furry code

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 03:38:37 PM »
Thing is it CAN'T be a "furry thing" as furries didn't start with it in the first place. There are tons of other "styles" that have added tails as an accessory before it became a furry thing. If furries claim the tail as "theirs", others can claim it from them as well because they did it first. Furries have no right to think it's their thing. Also, claiming something for the symbolism is in my opinion stupid.

Now I stand for gay rights as much as any equalist, but I think it's a bit regretful that they have "claimed" rainbows and rainbow colours. Many times I hear people (that are for gay rights) that think it's annoying that they can't have a rainbow button or clothes without being associated with it.

These are reasons why I don't think furries have a right to feel invaded or robbed, or that they have copyrighted wearing a tail.

That said, I want to hope that the fashion will make it more common so that furries wearing a tail won't be looked as much down upon. It is unfair that furries are being treated differently but if a furry ONLY wears a tail but no ears and acts normal, what's the difference between them and someone wearing it for fashion? None. Not to a spectator that doesn't know WHY the tail is being worn. So unless the furry fan chooses to act out of the norm and stick out even more, I don't see the problem.

Offline icy wolf

• the lone wolf
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf dog
  • Coloring: white
  • Height: 5.11 ft
  • Weight: 165 pounds
  • Build: medium
  • Currently: beeing playfull
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 05:30:53 PM »
i do , you dont see many people whereing tails and not beening a furry.   with this you will have people saying yeah  iam a furry when they want nothing to do with the fandom,( just beacuse it thats what people use to say); makeing our image look even worse if they  do negative stuff. out of all the furrys i know here only two where tails in puplic, people ask them if them about it and they tell them that they are a furry. yes it would be nice to where  a tail in puplic but not with this trend. its better with out it.

Post Merge: October 26, 2011, 05:30:56 PM
i do , you dont see many people whereing tails and not beening a furry.   with this you will have people saying yeah  iam a furry when they want nothing to do with the fandom,( just beacuse it thats what people use to say); makeing our image look even worse if they  do negative stuff. out of all the furrys i know here only two where tails in puplic, people ask them if them about it and they tell them that they are a furry. yes it would be nice to where  a tail in puplic but not with this trend. its better with out it.

shadow hide you   

my fall will be for you, my love will be for you, if you are the one to cut me so i will bleed for ever

[/size]

FCX[wolf dog=]m3acdrsw A C++ D++++ H+++ M? P++ R T++ W Z Sm RLS a cn+ e+ f++ h* i+~+ j+ p sm+

^ furry code

Offline SoulFox

• Avid Aardvark
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: dark navy blue fur, with white marks on the upper arms
  • Height: 5'9''
  • Weight: 157lbs
  • Build: an athletic body
  • Currently: tired but finally kicked the bad moods ^_^
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 08:04:45 PM »

Thing is it CAN'T be a "furry thing" as furries didn't start with it in the first place. There are tons of other "styles" that have added tails as an accessory before it became a furry thing. If furries claim the tail as "theirs", others can claim it from them as well because they did it first. Furries have no right to think it's their thing. Also, claiming something for the symbolism is in my opinion stupid.

Now I stand for gay rights as much as any equalist, but I think it's a bit regretful that they have "claimed" rainbows and rainbow colours. Many times I hear people (that are for gay rights) that think it's annoying that they can't have a rainbow button or clothes without being associated with it.

These are reasons why I don't think furries have a right to feel invaded or robbed, or that they have copyrighted wearing a tail.

That said, I want to hope that the fashion will make it more common so that furries wearing a tail won't be looked as much down upon. It is unfair that furries are being treated differently but if a furry ONLY wears a tail but no ears and acts normal, what's the difference between them and someone wearing it for fashion? None. Not to a spectator that doesn't know WHY the tail is being worn. So unless the furry fan chooses to act out of the norm and stick out even more, I don't see the problem.

i completely agree with you, it didn't start as a furry thing. we just use it more than most other fashions because it fits into our style so well just as ears do.

although i have no problem with people wearing tails as a fashion simply because its happening in my area. im going to have to say a min. 30% of the people in my school are super obsessive with anime with there being 4000kids, thats alot of people. and in alot of anime's there are neki's and other human/cats or human/dog breeds, so anime lovers are known to wear tail n ears also
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 08:11:13 PM by SoulFox »

why does it seem as if no one wants to be with you until they want something?

Offline Runi_the_Neko

• Avid Aardvark
  • Break me a peice off of that kitty cat bar~
    • Awards
  • Species: Black/White House Cat
  • Coloring: Black and white short fur
  • Height: 6' 3"
  • Weight: 141
  • Build: Skrawny little bastard
  • Currently: Feeling talkative .^.
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 07:56:51 PM »
I don't get those anime and such types around here so I don't get much of that...this is a first that i've ever seen/heard of this fashion....

Although I do wholeheartedly agree that wearing a tail being more accepted would be amazing and allow us to fit in more rather then being seen as an outsider. I understand that some furries simply, "Don't give a damn," but there are some people, including myself, who find it uncomfortable to be seen that way and anxiety gets to ya. And hey, atleast you can deep down know you're wearing it for a better reason then riding the bandwagon!

Next up: Animal ears please.  :3
I tend to bring good luck when I cross your path...

Offline SoulFox

• Avid Aardvark
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 11:10:17 PM »
yep, i am the same way unless its people that have never met me or i dont ever plan to see again. but its a group of people i have grown up with, or an area i live in i dont wish to be known as weird or anything. so some good would come out of it, if it were to be a more trendy fashion

Offline Self-sain

• The Unlikely Love
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
  • black and white isn't to bad
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Foat (Bat/Fox)
  • Coloring: purpule
  • Height: 5'7
  • Weight: 112
  • Build: thin some tone
  • Currently: Done with everything
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 12:03:01 AM »
It aggravates me just because I like that fact that I was the only one who did it, pathetic, but my reason none the less.

Also I would assume the trend is because a popular store, aka hot topic, sells them. And popular artiest, Cris brown and some other people, have either worn a tail, not on the rear but the side, or a wolf hat.
if you ever want to see Lil Johny again...
YOU WILL LOOK D:<

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Poster
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Foxaroo!
  • Coloring: white and orange
  • Height: 5'11''
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: skinny with little fat and muscle
  • Currently: Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost!
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 02:45:39 AM »
I was able to wear  a tail to work today and nobody seemed to think it was out of the ordinary, so I give this trend two thumbs up
If you want beef then bring the ruckus

Offline SoulFox

• Avid Aardvark
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 04:27:37 AM »

I was able to wear  a tail to work today and nobody seemed to think it was out of the ordinary, so I give this trend two thumbs up
haha are you sure that has nothing to do with it also being 2days away from Halloween?  :P

It aggravates me just because I like that fact that I was the only one who did it, pathetic, but my reason none the less.

Also I would assume the trend is because a popular store, aka hot topic, sells them. And popular artiest, Cris brown and some other people, have either worn a tail, not on the rear but the side, or a wolf hat.

but i can understand where your coming from, i do enjoy being the only person who dresses the way i do, even if it isn't too much of a change. i love animal hats though! the ones with ears and sometimes a face, simply because their cute (alittle off topic >.>)

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Poster
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Foxaroo!
  • Coloring: white and orange
  • Height: 5'11''
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: skinny with little fat and muscle
  • Currently: Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost!
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 04:28:16 AM »

haha are you sure that has nothing to do with it also being 2days away from Halloween?  :P

but i can understand where your coming from, i do enjoy being the only person who dresses the way i do, even if it isn't too much of a change. i love animal hats though! the ones with ears and sometimes a face, simply because their cute (alittle off topic >.>)
well, no, because I told everyone it wasn't for Halloween XD
If you want beef then bring the ruckus

Offline SoulFox

• Avid Aardvark
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 04:33:37 AM »
alright thenn, it seems your clear for the rest of the year!  >.>  like my ryme? haha