The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Original voices or dubbed?  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Ares the Ram

• Diamond in the rough
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
Original voices or dubbed?
« on: September 04, 2011, 03:04:31 AM »
One of my favorite movies is Howl's moving castle, by Hayao Miyazaki. I like to listen to it in the original japanese voices with english subtitles and the same goes for games. Hearing the original voice is just cooler for me than hearing a dub. Not that the dubbing is bad or the voices are bad, I just like the original  ^_^

What are your opinions?

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
Re: Original voices or dubbed?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 03:31:22 AM »
Dubbed voices are hardly ever as good as the original voices. The voices can be poorly done, phrases and idioms don't transfer over well, the voices don't fit the characters, and/or the emotions just aren't there. Whenever I watch anime I always prefer the original Japanese with subtitles.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Alexei

• Crafty Canadian
  • Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • To the moon
  • Species: Cheetah Fox!
  • Height: 180 cm
  • Weight: 66 kg
  • Build: Relatively Lean
  • Currently: Collecting the pieces of my life and putting them back together.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 05:45:38 AM »
Some languages I find beautiful so sometimes dubbed voices can take away from that, in other cases like the movie "Hitler's downfall" I thought the original German voice actor was incredible, so I just watched the subbed version.
  • Signature art by: The Black Keys

I must admit
I can't explain
Any of these thoughts racing
Through my brain

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Poster
  • I am funny and intelligent. And attractive.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Twilight Leopard
  • Height: 9 ft long (274 cm), 7 ft tall (213 cm); tail, 12 ft (365 cm)
  • Weight: 2315 lbs (1050 kg)
  • Build: Stocky
  • Currently: *flop* One-man furpile.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 04:28:25 PM »
Always original voices, always subtitles. After all, nearly all movies I see are subtitled anyway because they aren't in Norwegian. So I grew up with it and read subtitles at the age of... 8 maybe?

Although seeing dubbed versions of video that I know already might be an interesting experience, just to see how it turned out.

Offline Self-sain

• The Unlikely Love
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
  • black and white isn't to bad
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Foat (Bat/Fox)
  • Coloring: purpule
  • Height: 5'7
  • Weight: 112
  • Build: thin some tone
  • Currently: Done with everything
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 04:37:23 PM »
I go against the norm, 98% of the time I want dubbed. I'll admit some shows (ex. naruto) I hate the English voice actors, other shows though (ex. flcl) I think they fit well and it adds more to the plot to be able to just watch and not have to read.
if you ever want to see Lil Johny again...
YOU WILL LOOK D:<

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 08:24:52 PM »
For movies I like original voices and subtitles, as Alexei stated, some languages are beautiful and therefore the original language is better. However I don't mind dubbed movies either if the dubbing is at least quite decent, Dubbed is usually better in the way that you understand what their saying more easily. Especially for Japanese anime I love watching with the original Japanese language.

For games I prefer the English dub if it's not the original language already, some games I make exceptions for, but generally I prefer English language in games because for games I just want to understand what they say and all.
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Philly Tanuki

• The Pantsless Raccoon
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Most Online
  • Avid Chipmunks Fan
    • Awards
  • Species: Tanuki
  • Coloring: Primary color: Cream, slightly tannish; Secondary color: Chocolate brown
  • Currently: Pinkie Keen!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 02:39:01 PM »
I'm in love with the Japanese language so I'll take original voice actors for anything Japanese anyday of the week. I haven't watched dubbed anime ever since I saw what 4kids did to One Piece. They literally destroyed it. Most animes are masterpieces when watched in its original language.

Offline ArcticSkyWolf

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • ArticSkyWolf is here to be awesome!
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Wolf
  • Coloring: Blue almost everywhere
  • Build: strong and awesome
  • Currently: Gaming some gamez
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 07:53:56 PM »
i think japanese voice actors are the best voice actors in the world, and dubbed as in fan dub sucks.

Offline Xash5621

• Avid Aardvark
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: "pup" (unknown really. probably a kangaroo)
  • Coloring: I redesign him a lot. I'm a perfectionist.
  • Height: Around 5'6" but he can sometimes be seen as a cub.
  • Weight: 61kgs
  • Build: fit/girly
  • Currently: Sleepy~
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 10:59:21 PM »
i dont actually have a problem with the dubbed voices but i just love a sexy Japanese accent <3

Offline Vine Tabris

• Chatty Cheetah
  • [hisses]
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Demon
  • Currently: visiting graveyards
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 11:37:26 PM »
I think people over-exaggerate when they say how bad dubbing is.
There's a lot of anime that have great dubs; FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, ect.
Personally if the dub is decent I'll just watch the dub.
Sure, with subbing you get to hear the original voices, but how do you know that it's good acting if you don't understand what they're saying? If you don't understand the language, you don't know what accent they're using, what kind of dialect, what words they're putting emphasis on, what sort of slang they're using. Really, the only way to really appreciate the original voice actors would be to be fluent in the language they're speaking.
Plus I'm the sort of person who appreciates animation over voice acting.
Kind of hard to appreciate animation when you're stuck reading the subs the whole time.
So, eh, I can swing either way, but if a decent dub is available I'll just listen to that. The only thing I've ever seen where the dubbing genuinely annoyed me to the point that I had to turn on the subs was with FFVII:AC.
Other than that, I haven't found anything bad enough to ruin an anime for me.
As for video games, nope nope nope, I simply don't care about it that much to turn on subs. Dubs in video games are almost always good anyway.

Offline x

• Haven't You Heard?
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 03:44:13 PM »
While original voices are generally better done, and almost always fit the mouths to a tee the way they were made to, I always watch dubbed.

I want to watch the movie, not watch subtitles. Maybe on the second time around, when I don't need to pay attention to the video, I'll watch with the original voices. But subtitles are too distracting the first time around.

^ @What Vine said: +1
x

Offline TailzWolf

• Boisterous Bear
  • Thanks goes to Joe Racoon for this nice Avi!
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 02:50:09 PM »
I don't mind the original voices most of the time,  but I prefer dub most of the time. I'd rather not have to direct most of my attention to the subtitles at the bottom of the screen  just to know what's going on while missing the action. Also, even though people tend to demonize dubbing (*cough*Naruto*cough*), I don't mind them. In fact, I like some of those voices. Don't get me wrong, I've seen a few dubs that seem off, but it generally isn't that bad. And on that point, not every original voice is so great to me. I guess it's just a matter of taste.

Feel fre to take the quiz here

Offline Ottersmash

• Avid Aardvark
  • Skeptical Squawker
  • Species: Short-billed black cockatoo
  • Currently: Studying
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 05:03:19 PM »
I also don't like having to divert attention to text in order to understand what's going on, so unless the dub is terrible I'll be an anime heathen and stick with dub. Just because it isn't the original, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. An alteration to the dialogue is fine by me unless it totally changes the meaning of something, or the scene making its point was dependent on very specific wording. Any quality anime will still have enough going for it that a missing idiom or two won't matter in the long run.

Not to mention, having a bunch of people chattering in a language I have zero understanding of (not a Japan freak, nope) makes it harder to really put myself in the show and empathize with what's going on. It's all gibberish to me, until someone starts shouting the same word over and over (I learned "mother" that way).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 05:08:59 PM by Ottersmash »