The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Are relationships even worth it?  (Read 287 times)

Offline Gelidus

• Kuddly Kitten
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'll freeze your soul
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf/Falcon
  • Coloring: blue, tan, brown, and white
  • Height: 6'1''
  • Weight: 190 lb
  • Build: Althetically slender
  • Currently: PONIES!
Are relationships even worth it?
« on: May 22, 2011, 07:01:41 AM »
*sigh*

So as some of you may know I broke up with my mate about 2 months ago. This was a GOOD thing for me, since I wasn't me in the relationship and I wasn't enjoying it anymore. It was a very serious relationship. I went to college where she was so we wouldn't split because of the distance, and we had major plans for the future. But as we spent more and more time together I realized that I just wasn't happy. I HATED having to see her and feeling obligated to her and doing what she asked. HATED!!! I was such a submissive person to her, even though thats not who I am. I loved her but I just couldn't do it anymore. And I'm like that around anyone I'm attracted to. As soon as I like someone I'll immediately go into submissive mode because I want them to be happy and I'm a nice guy.

So whats my point? honestly I don't know. I just feel like I'm never going to appreciate any relationship, because I'll never be my true self around someone that I'm attracted to in a non-sexual way. I don't see the value of a relationship anymore...I mean whats the point of it? to feel loved by someone? yeah I don't feel like going through all that effort just for that. It's just not worth it. Sex isn't all that great either

I just needed to rant. Does anyone have any advice? Any information that I'm not thinking about?
Love is only a feeling.
A feeling of security, a feeling of happiness, a feeling of lust, a feeling of belonging.
A feeling we need.
We may think we can live life without it, but a life without it would be boring, meaningless, and depressing.
Love controls us. Without love, we are nothing. With it, nothing else in the world matters
Love is only a feeling.
A feeling that makes life worth living or dying

Offline x

• Haven't You Heard?
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
Re: Are relationships even worth it?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 07:08:07 AM »
It takes a lot of mates to find the right one...usually. But when you find the right one you will understand why it's worth it, because they will make you feel amazing, incredible, say anything you feel to them without fear. The pride in having a mate is having someone else always there for you to be 'linked eternally' so to speak. It's really a great feeling and you won't get that feeling until you find the right one.

Of course, being single is great too. People can learn to really embrace being single and be very happy, and even be themselves single.

Depends on what you want for where you are. Don't take it too fast if you're young.
x

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 07:09:52 AM »
To be honest, relationships aren't for everyone. There are some people who feel better just being on their own. It happens, and that might be what you want to do. You can always change your mind later if you want to.

That being said, it might just be because you haven't met the person who will let you be yourself yet. I don't know how long your relationship lasted, but part of the problem might be that in the early stages of a relationship it's easy to get stuck into that feeling of "omg I have to do everything perfect or I'll lose them" kind of thing. Once more time passes you get sick of it, you fight over it, but then you talk with your partner and figure out how to find a balance so that neither of you will feel pushed around all the time. It's rough getting to that point, but if both of you are committed to communicating, compromising, and working out the problems, I think you can get to a state where you're not waiting around on your girlfriend all the time.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Gelidus

• Kuddly Kitten
  • I'll freeze your soul
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 07:22:17 AM »
I see what your saying guys, but the problem is that we DID love each other and we DID try and work things out. We did pretty well dealing with changes in each others personalities, me becoming a furry, and stuff like that. I could have sworn that we were the ones for each other and that we were soulmates. But I realized even with all those changes, I still wasn't happy. Maybe I got tired of doing stuff for her because I did it ALL the time. We tried to fix it, but it got to the point that I didn't want to be with her. I loved her, but I couldn't stand being with her. How does that even work?

IDK I feel like I would be one of those people that would just be happy being alone for my entire life. I'm a really independent guy, and I always have been. I never even wanted my parents love that bad (although they certainly gave me plenty of it). So yeah, maybe I am one of those guys that shouldn't be in a relationship, as I thought.

Thx for listening and responding guys!
Love is only a feeling.
A feeling of security, a feeling of happiness, a feeling of lust, a feeling of belonging.
A feeling we need.
We may think we can live life without it, but a life without it would be boring, meaningless, and depressing.
Love controls us. Without love, we are nothing. With it, nothing else in the world matters
Love is only a feeling.

Offline x

• Haven't You Heard?
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 07:25:49 AM »
If you can't stand your mate, then it isn't love.

When you get that special feeling I talked about, then you'll never feel that way, or you may, but you'll be able to resolve it. When you have the REAL feeling of being in love, it's very hard to get annoyed or angry or to that point because you're so lost in each other. I'm not trying to say what you had wasn't love, but in my opinion it wasn't.

But I digress. Yes, you may very well be a loner and there's nothing wrong with that if it makes you happy and you can be yourself.
x

Offline Gelidus

• Kuddly Kitten
  • I'll freeze your soul
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 07:41:30 AM »
I did love her. I wanted everything in the world for her. But I think the problem arose when she started asking me for more and more without giving anything in return and I just couldn't take it. Probly whats happening though, is I'm trying to make this simple when its SO much more complicated than can be explained in a forums thread...soooooo:

I'm single now, and I will be for a while. So thank you guys for making me feel like it was OK to decide something like that. It just seemed like everyone glorifies being in a relationship so much, that i felt weird saying I shouldn't be in one. (here I am 21 years old and still letting society affect my decisions -_-)
Love is only a feeling.
A feeling we need.
Love is only a feeling.