The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Griefed  (Read 336 times)

Offline LordFeline

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • "The empror never forgives, heretics!"
  • Species: Cat
  • Coloring: light grey, with streaks of metallic blue running down arms and back
  • Height: 6'1
  • Weight: 174 lbs.
  • Build: medium, leaning towards muscular
Griefed
« on: May 15, 2011, 12:02:46 AM »
this is half rant/half plea for help

For the past month, ive been hosting a minecraft server. me and around 20 kids from school play on it. ever since the server began, weve been working on a town. it got pretty big. a full blown player run economy. trash cans. courtrooms. we were happy. so I got on today, and died, and respawned. there were shattered building all about and I thought" hmm. mabey m in our pvp zone. then I see a massive lava filled crater. now I know somthings up. and there, floating where it was once connected to a building, sat a sign reading Guardiansnakes armoror and weaponsmith. so this crater was all that wa sleft of my town. then it all became clear. floating chests and half-blocks, glass, and pumpkins all show the remanents of my once grand city. all I could do was break down and cry.

Onwards to rant:
o that brings me to part II: about grefiers. this whole event obviously brings up the question of why greifers greif. I have two theorys. one, the most likely, they think destroying other peoples hard work is funny. two, they enjoy making other peoples lives misrable. either way, this is one of the worst things in minecraft. my first encounter with these terrible people was on a creative server. I had just finished a tower that took me two hours to build. guy walks up, congratulates me on tower. proceeds to rip down all of tower, trap me in a bedrock box, and ban me. really? why? it might be funny, but ive wittnessed creations it took over 24 hours of nonstop constuction to build reduced to smoking craters in under 10 minutes. its terrible.

HOW you can help:
the call is out at my school. the crater/server refitting crew is being assembled. our goal is to replant the burned forests, rebuild the destroyed city, and rehouse our now homeless players. if yer interested, PM me and ill give you the server IP.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 03:57:44 AM by WingedZephyr, Reason: Thread titles cannot be in all caps »
vibrating furby?! what the hell kind of title is that!?

.::WAAAGH 2011 VETRAN::.

Offline Gabag

• Replica Soldier Mk. VII
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online
    • Awards
  • Species: Human (Replica Clone)
Re: GREIFED
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 12:22:04 AM »
if you're being griefed maybe its a bad idea to give away the server IP. i mean take no chances right?

Offline Vosur Aekira

• Old Wolf of the Sprites.
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 10 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster
    • Awards
  • Currently: Exhausted
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 02:15:05 AM »
I have not played Minecraft, but I see similar behavior in SecondLife. Items can be destroyed or replicated easily (spam-type of attack), but the behavior works the same way. If it causes frustration to the targeted individual, it achieves the goal.

If the server can be passworded, then do so to limit the griefer activity. If there is a way to report this individual, or individuals if more than one.

Offline Sigah

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
  • Species: Siberian Tiger
  • Coloring: White w/ black stripes
  • Height: 6' 3"
  • Weight: 250lbs
  • Build: average
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 02:43:49 AM »
As I said in IRC, if I had a real copy of Minecraft, I would love to help because I too have been the victom of griefing. I spent quite a while building up a castle full of furnishings and everything a castle could need. I also spent the time to rig up four towers that shot flaming arrows. Anyhow, after I had finished and all of the server mods left my area (after marveling at my creation), some guy came along and said "wow, that must have took a long time to build," then he tore it all down and made it nothing but rubble in a crater. Then he drew inapropriate art, and shwasticas all over the place. I then got in trouble for it and ban from the server. So, I kind of understand where you are coming from.
  • Avatar by: Avatar was done by KaprikaAZ

Offline Ares the Ram

• Diamond in the rough
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 03:11:07 AM »
you need to impliment a White list to the server. Thats a guest list that means only people who are on the list can enter. if someone isnt on the list, they cant get on the server. Its in your server file. just change White list to true instead of false.  Id be happy to help you try and rebuild. Im not sure how good I am at large scale building but Im no noob, thats for sure.

Offline LordFeline

• Vibrating Furby
  • "The empror never forgives, heretics!"
  • Species: Cat
  • Coloring: light grey, with streaks of metallic blue running down arms and back
  • Height: 6'1
  • Weight: 174 lbs.
  • Build: medium, leaning towards muscular
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 03:46:43 AM »
you need to impliment a White list to the server. Thats a guest list that means only people who are on the list can enter. if someone isnt on the list, they cant get on the server. Its in your server file. just change White list to true instead of false.  Id be happy to help you try and rebuild. Im not sure how good I am at large scale building but Im no noob, thats for sure.

I had a whitelist. you know what that got me?
no sleep.
24/7 phone calls, facebook messages, emails, skype calls, all saying one thing:
"would you add <insert username here> to the whitelist? he not greifer he not noob"
saying no means getting jumped by all the dudes I refused whitelist at lunch.

but thanks for all your offers for aid. luckily, my kickass bro named Sunbeans pulled up the "stonton requir crew" who managed to clean up the lava and build over the ruins. id love to give yall the IP and play a bitt but the server lags like hell if anyone out of state connects.

Post Merge: May 16, 2011, 03:21:06 AM
OK NOW
we made an explosion of epic proportions as a final send-off before we reset the server.
then we found the greifer: ODSTMAN702
ban him now if your a host

we had an epic public execution on our server.
all ill say was that it involoved cactus and charged creepers.

PROBLEM SOLVED, GENTLEMEN
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 03:21:06 AM by LordFeline, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
vibrating furby?! what the hell kind of title is that!?

.::WAAAGH 2011 VETRAN::.