The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Keeping my laptop alive  (Read 1534 times)

Offline x

• Haven't You Heard?
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
    • Awards
Keeping my laptop alive
« on: May 16, 2011, 09:17:52 PM »
My laptop is now my world. I do everything on it...internet, games, homework, fun, soul searching, art.

I've downloaded so many programs to help me do what I need to do, and so many songs  and so many games and fixers/patches.

But already my little laptop is showing signs of problems and overuse. Glitches, LOTS of crashes (most of which I know exactly why they crash and find a way to work around), slooow internet, and general AUGH moments, especially when opening it with the wireless broadband card inserted after closing it and switching between multiple programs using my tablet.

My left ctrl button has already fallen off, and my space bar keeps getting stuck. My keys are sticky, bed warm from the overheated power cord box, legs burnt from holding the thing on my knees all night, neck crinked. I keep sitting on my pen for my tablet and wonder where it went "oh hey it's under my butt...how do I always loose you, dear pen"....I have to use my bed for a workspace since I have no workable desk in my room, but I might be able to use the desk in the other room eventually.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is I have a tendancy to ruin my technology, screw it up, loose important stuff, break stuff, etc. You should see how many headphones I go through in two months cause one of the earbuds always goes out, still can't figure out why.

What do you do to keep your things in working, pretty order, and what do you suggest I start doing to preserve my precious laptop so I don't break it or mess it up anymore? I don't want to loose it because of abuse or neglect, as it's my lifeline.
x

Offline Ares the Ram

• Diamond in the rough
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
Re: Keeping my laptop alive
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 09:21:24 PM »
how long have you had it? it sounds like its just coming apart due to normal wear and tear. Maybe you should get a new one? Having alot of stuff on your hard drives can slow your computer down too I think. Maybe delete some unneeded items or invest in an external hardrive to transfer them to?

Offline x

• Haven't You Heard?
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 09:23:48 PM »
Can't afford a new one, and the sad thing is I've only had it for about three months. :c I could look for extra programs to delete to free space, but I actually use the majority of them.
x

Offline Pea

• Pea is Me
  • Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • Everything is happening.
  • Species: Vine Snake
  • Coloring: Dark green scales with deep poisonous green eyes.
  • Build: Teeny
  • Currently: slithering hither
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 03:35:14 AM »
I have scheduled a lot of stuff on my computer, like virus scans every morning at 3AM, weekly defrags even though that's a bit excessive, monthly disc clean ups, and I lower a lot of CPU intensive options like a lot of the Aero settings for Windows 7.

I use a padded cushion with a hard flat surface to set my laptop down on. And to keep it running cool I clock down my processor so it doesn't use as much power. Keeping it at 70% max power keeps my laptop running pretty cool. About the keyboard, I have no clue  :S

Maybe don't hit the keys so hard?   o.O

I can post some tutorials for you to have all this set up, I could even include pictures to make it easier to follow. I'm not the best when it comes to computers but these things seem to be helping. Never once had a problem with this laptop and I've had it well over a year now.
  • Avatar by: Me, colored by Evnamishko

Offline x

• Haven't You Heard?
  • Optimistic Owl
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 01:18:43 PM »
I have nothing like that to put my laptop on, but when it comes down to it I could always move to the desk. And sure tutorials would be great...:3
x

Offline Pea

• Pea is Me
  • Foxy Fox
  • Everything is happening.
  • Species: Vine Snake
  • Coloring: Dark green scales with deep poisonous green eyes.
  • Build: Teeny
  • Currently: slithering hither
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 05:19:11 AM »
What operating system do you use? It would make making pictures much easier if I knew  X3
  • Avatar by: Me, colored by Evnamishko