The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Project Ocean BLue (Chapter One)  (Read 1264 times)

Offline chinook the orca

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Chinook's home page
    • Awards
  • Species: Chiinook: orca, Mako: blue shark, Darwin: dolphin
  • Coloring: Chinook: black and white, Mako: navy blue adn white, Darwin: light blue and white
  • Build: Chinook: medium, Mako: muscular, Darwin: slim
Project Ocean BLue (Chapter One)
« on: April 23, 2007, 10:07:49 PM »
Hi Furry-Forums, This is the first chapter of a story I've been working on for almost 4 months now.  I'll post it chapter by chapter here on the forums and please give your imput.
The story is set in a future earth where human scientists have created... well have a look:

PROJECT: OCEAN BLUE

Prologue: Genesis

ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“We hold life to be sacred, but is it so fragile that it can withstand no tampering?”
Chairman Yang, Sid Myers Alpha Centauri

November 28th, 2035

Life is a marvelous gift, but this gift can in theory.  Be turned into a terrible weapon.  This is the tale of just such an atrocity against life.

I awoke in a strange blue-green world, floating in a fluid of unknown consistency.  Where am I?  Was the first thought, but it was quickly followed by an even greater question.  Who am I?
   I could hear voices beyond my liquid prison.

ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Look at those vital signs”
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“They look strong, not like the others”
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Cross your fingers gents, this one could be it”

I reached forward, and my hand came into view.  Blue on top, white underneath.  Two didgets and an opposable thumb.  A voice sounded in the back of my mind.  This isn’t right, skin shouldn’t be blue, life shouldn’t start in a test tube, this is unnatural.
   More voices.

ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Oh no!”
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“What is it?”
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Its mind is racing!”
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Sedative, quickly, we can’t loose this one!”

Those voices, their outside this glass prison.  WHERE I MUST BE!
   I raised my hand, and clenched it into a fist.  I wound up and there, floating in the viscus liquid, let fly a punch at the walls of my glass world.
   The glass exploded into a palisade of cracks, and then burst out in long, crystalline shards.  Globs of the fluid streamed over the floor and I emerged.
   There were crys of surprise and shouts of horror as I crunched over broken glass and stood in the center of the sterile white room.  A man stepped forward hesitantly.  Pink skinned, scrawny, wearing a long, white coat and holding a clip board.
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“What is this place, where am I” I demanded in my most menacing voice.
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Calm down sir, all your questions will be answered in time.
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“But why am I here?  What is my purpose”
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“To serve your masters.” came another voice.  It was then that I heard a loud “phttt” sound, and felt a stinging pain in my side.  The world faded to black.

Chapter I: Experimentation

ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚What is genesis?  Put simply, it is life from lifelessness.”
Dr. Carol Marcus, Startrek II: The Wrath of Kahn

Antarctic Ocean
December 4th, 2041, 0800 hours
Course: due south

General  Charels Marchank sat in the passenger cabin of the UH-17 Sea Hawk hurtleing south towards the US Navy’s most secure facility.  The island of Kurgulen just off the coast of Antarctica.  Well technically, the base was not on the island.
   The Posiedon facility was a magnificent piece of engineering, the first true self sufficient, submerged structure built by man kind.  It was the Navy equivalent to the airforce's Area 51, housing experimental submarines and probably the most controversial project in the history of the US armed forces, that is, it would be controversial if anyone knew about it.
   The UH-17 landed on a helicopter platform that looked as though it had simply sprouted from the sea.  The UH-17 was a strange machine, it had the body of a large attack helicopter, attached to either side were stubby wings and at the ends of these were engine pods powering small rotors.  The engine pods could rotate giving the vehicle incredible mobility, and making it ideal for landing in such demanding conditions.  Marchank exited the vehicle, and was greeted by a lieutenant and two armed guards.
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Hello sir, welcome to the butt end of the planet!” the lieutenant shouted above the roar of rotors and the howling of wind.  ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Have a safe flight?”
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Bumpy as always Brodey.” Said Marchank unconcernedly.
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“I assume you haven’t stopped in for hot chocolate then sir.” Said Lieutenant Nathan Brodey.  ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Follow me.”
   Marchank followed into an elevator at the edge of the helicopter pad.  He stepped in along with the Brodey and the two guards and Brodey hit one of the buttons.  The doors closed with a soft hiss and all four felt the butterflies of rapid decent.
   The screen over the door began to flash titles as they passed level after level.

LEVEL 1: Bridge
LEVEL 2: Recreation
LEVEL 3: Habitat Complex
LEVEL 4: Health & Sickbay
LEVELS 5 – 15: Subpen

The elevator stopped at level ten, marked subpen.
   All four exited the elevator into a truly awe inspiring artificial cavern.  The elevator shaft was at the center of a massive ring which had to be at least six football fields across and at least six stories high.  It was dominated by four massive cylindrical hulls and numerous walkways, rails and gangplanks.
   Marchank smiled, “So this is where all the money is spent now.” He commented dryly.
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“You bet sir” answered Brodey.  ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Hey, Roberts” An ensign looked up from a complex looking control panel in an enclosed bunker.
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Bring over the Manti” shouted Brodey.
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“You got it boss” called the ensign.
   A sleek, blue and white, mini-sub was brought before the small group via a system of overhead rails.  It looked like a jet fighter crossed with a manta ray.
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“May I present the Manti Mark Two subfighter” exclaimed Lieutenant Brodey.  ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Fast, and lethal, she sports twin micro torpedo tubes, and a six barrel mini gun for surface combat.  Deadly to larger ships like those old Tridents.”  Brodey gestured over his shoulder to the two aging nuclear subs behind them.
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Impressive” remarked General Marchank.
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“You think that’s good, follow me” said Brodey leading the group around a walkway and pointing to a massive submarine parked in a shallow pool beneath them.  The thing looked at least four football fields long, it had a curved, and sleek design, obviously inspired by a shark.  Even the tower was shaped a little like a shark's dorsal fin.  It had a flattened deck on top with what were evidently two elevators for planes, like those on an aircraft carrier.
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“USS Neptune” said Brodey. “The latest and greatest, not to mention, the only aircraft carrying sub since World War II.”
   Marchank drew in a gasp of pure amazement.  ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Incredible” was the only word that escaped his lips.

After the tour of the other three subs, two old tridents rusting at anchor and a relatively new Russian Typhoon class.  The party of four returned to the elevator.
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Sir, you have obviously  come to check on the ocean blue project…” said Brodey slightly hesitant.
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Damn right lieutenant.”  Spat Marchank.  ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Navy command hasn’t heard an update in almost eight years!  What have you been up to?”
   Brodey shifted uncomfortably as the elevator doors closed.  ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Well… You see… we had to wait for the project to umm… to mature before you could make any kind of final judgment…”
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“What do you mean mature?  My predecessor conveniently forgot to tell me about the navy’s little science project.”  Said Marchank as his voice rose and the lieutenant hit the button.  ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“For the amounts of money we have been pouring into this facility, I’d better be impressed.”

LEVEL 16: Docking & Defense Control
LEVEL 17-19: Lab Complex

The elevator stopped and the doors opened onto a serial white corridor with bright florescent lights.
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Follow me sir” said lieutenant Brodey.  ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Not far sir.”
   Marchank grunted noncommittally.  ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“I should hope so mister.”
   They came into a large control room, also in the serial white colour.  Several scientists watched LCD screens intently while still others walked about taking notes on various display cases containing specimens.  But the most interesting feature was the large plate glass window which dominated one wall.  From its slight tint, Marchank could tell that it wasn’t true glass, but plexan.  And from the lack of light coming through it, the window was probably mirrored on the other side.  In short, they could look in, but whatever was inside couldn’t look out.
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Dr. Strom!”  Called Brodey, and a short, blonde man approached holding a clipboard.
   He spoke in a timid, slightly rapid manner.  ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Hello lieutenant, general.”  He shook their hands.  ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“You have come to see our progress with… them…”
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Yes, them.”  Hissed Marchank, becoming slightly annoyed.
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“This way gentlemen”  Strom gestured towards the large panel window.  They walked up to it and looked down onto a scene that took Marchak's breath away.
   They looked down on an enormous room, about twice the size of a standard gymnasium, but it was the rooms contense that shocked Marchank.  Mutants, at least sixty of them, human mixed with aquatic creatures.  Mainly sharks, but with a healthy scattering of dolphins and what appeared to be orcas.  They sat around a serial white environment of cheap furniture, and harsh, white light.  There appeared to be a few ajoining rooms, assumable bathrooms and other necessities.  However, the sleeping, eating and living areas were all in this one huge room, everything within easy view of the scientists.  ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“No privacy”  Thought Marchank,
   One mutant in particular caught Marchank's eye, a large, blue and white, anthropomorphic shark.  Sitting at a table in the dining area of the huge room, between a large orca and a medium built dolphin.  Then Marchank realized it wasn’t the impressive creature itself that drew his eyes.  It was the fact that the shark was staring right through the mirrored glass, right into marchank’s eyes.
   Marchank stared into the twin black marbles of the sharks eyes before he was forced to look away.  He turned to Dr. Strom.  ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“They can’t… see us can they?  I mean this is mirrored glass isn’t it?”
   Dr. Strom shrugged.  ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Define what you mean by they and what you mean by see”
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“What’s that supposed to mean?”
“Well… The dolphins and orcas can’t see us, but…”
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“But what?” Demanded Marchank.
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“You don’t know much about sharks do you General?  Well they have amazing senses: their eyesight is as good underwater as an eagles is in the air, their sense of smell can detect in the parts per billion, they can detect pressure changes with the lateral line all fish have, they can hear the sound of a struggling fish two miles away, and the one I am referring to, their sixth sense.”
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Their what?”  Said Marchank.
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Their sixth sense, sharks have the ability to detect the electricity generated by life itself.  To that guy down there, you are lit up like a Christmas tree.”
   Marchank took another look into the large room, several of the sharks were now staring up at them, and the few that weren’t were apparently describing what they saw to the orcas and dolphins.
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“What’s with the list of abilities?  You scared of’em or something Doc?”  Sneered Marchank.
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Permission to speak freely sir”  Asked Strom.
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Granted”
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“To be honest, yes they do scare me.  Especially the big blue one who was staring at you.  His name is Mako, and you could say he’s their leader.”
   Marchank smiled sardonically.  ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Don’t you think that’s a little dangerous?  I mean personifying these… things by giving them names?  Next thing you know, you’ll be campaigning for their rights.”
   Dr. Strom returned Marchank's stare.  ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“For your information, we didn’t name him, he gave it to himself.”
   Marchank looked back at the room, all the creatures had abandoned whatever they had been doing and were now gazing fixedly at the mirrored glass.
   Marchank turned to lieutenant Brodey.  ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Can I speak with this… Mako was it?”
   The lieutenant shuffled nervously.  ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“I’d advise against it sir, the last poor guy we sent in to the meeting chamber…  Well, came back with plexan shards embedded in him from the supposedly shatter proof window.”
   Marchank didn’t flinch.  ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“You’ve no doubt replaced the window?”
   Brodey nodded. “Yes sir, but…”
   ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“But nothing, take me there, I want to have a word with this Mako.”

More to come.
Always ready to offer a helping flipper.