The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Raising battery life on phone?  (Read 2918 times)

Offline Moofinz

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Species: Kitty =^.^=
  • Height: 5'1
  • Weight: 115
Raising battery life on phone?
« on: February 07, 2011, 04:03:07 AM »
I know usually smartphones are epic battery drainers for all the apps that running and such, but I was reading through some forums and a few people (that have the same type of phone as I do) are able to go the day without charging even when using the internet and such. Just wanted to know if any of you know how, thanks xD

Btw, my phone is T-Mobile G2 (Android FTW  B) )

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Healed up
Re: Raising battery life on phone?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 05:10:00 AM »
I looked up your phone, perhaps this will help you out? It is widely known to have issues with the battery lasting long. But with these tips, it should work for much longer ;)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=802166
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline Moofinz

• Chatty Cheetah
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 05:20:20 AM »
Thanks White Wolf  ^_^ I'm trying out those tips right now. I was wondering if the task killer worked for saving battery as well?

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 05:26:17 AM »
Personally I use a task killer app because it works for me and I found that article rather... confounding because it will not work for everyone, basically I found the evidence insufficient. I will continue to use a task killer app as it greatly saves battery life :P

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 10:16:50 AM »
Hmm, I guess White covered most of it but...

I'm a user of the Desire Z/Vision (HTC Branded G2 with Sense UI...) so I thought that I could tell you what I usually do...
I went from a HTC Desire to this, my old desire's battery had a 1400 mAh battery, vs my Z with a 1350 mAh battery and 'only' 800 MHz CPU clock.. But I must say, even though this, The performance is rather equal or higher while the same applies to also the battery time!

- Unless it's too bright outside, I always keep my screen brightness to 10%, sometimes 25% tho...
- I use a relatively dark background image, and I try staying away from live wallpapers..
- Wifi and bluetooth is off unless I use it
- I usually keep 3G and background/auto sync on, but disabling this could save you an hour if not more!
- I have however manually disabled auto sync for all stuff I don't use, twitter and facebook and similar stuff I do use is set to once an hour, gmail is the only one I have set for real time updates, other stuff I have set to wifi only or several hours between each update
- I frequently use a task killer every now and then, and make sure to kill as much as possible without killing too much so that the phone is left unstable.. usually helps save a few minutes to an hour or total battery time, I also make sure to kill the task killer so that it doesn't drain anyting as some task killers are know to do
- I have dried a few apps claiming to save some battery time, but I have never settled with any
- I keep a charger in my pocket in case I'd run low on battery and would get a chance to charge, but it isn't very often.. I'm just paranoid X3

- With all this.. I last atleast a average day of school (8:30 am to 2:30 pm) and have plenty of battery when I get home

- I have survived over 9 hours and still having 51% battery left once.. I only had the screen on for about one hour, atleast 3 hours of those I listened to music in the PowerAMP music player with a wireless bluetooth headset, equalizer enabled.. Auto sync enabled, so was 3G and obviously bluetooth.. The bluetooth headset died after a few hours of constantly listening to music, the battery on it wasn't full however, so I did plug the headphones into the 3.5mm jack for the last hour or so.. but I checked the battery settings and it was 51% after 9 hours and one minute since last time I plugged out the charger when it was fully charged!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 11:50:55 AM by Timmy the Foxy »
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Moofinz

• Chatty Cheetah
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 02:18:45 PM »
Yeah I usually keep my brightness at a low unless I'm outside XD and I also use to use task killer until they said it affected the phone :X but yeah does rooting your phone do anything to the battery?

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 04:12:13 PM »
Yeah I usually keep my brightness at a low unless I'm outside XD and I also use to use task killer until they said it affected the phone :X but yeah does rooting your phone do anything to the battery?
I still use one, but kinda rarely... do however only kill what I feel is safe to kill...

About rooting, I can't say for sure, but I can't think of any reason why it would...
Proud to be a furry!

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 04:19:40 PM »
Actually if you root your phone and underclock it, you could make it last longer. I used to do that myself, but meh the less apps you have installed you can do the same thing, so I just install only what I use and uninstall everything else. However if you don't know what you're doing, it is best not to root your phone because there is a risk of bricking if you choose the incorrect software to do it on the firmware you have or have a low battery life while doing it.

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 04:38:39 PM »
Actually if you root your phone and underclock it, you could make it last longer.
Apart from that then...

And to add to the security tips about rooting: it's also pretty easy to hack a rooted droid since rooting disables all the locks and such and can grant unwanted users permisson to do what they want with your device, just as with an jailbroken iphone...
But as White said, don't do it if you don't know what your doing!
Proud to be a furry!

Offline Moofinz

• Chatty Cheetah
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 04:47:36 PM »
Yeah definitely won't try the rooting then XD. I don't really have a lot of apps, its just the ones that came with my phone and I can't get rid of them :(

Offline Egan

• Chatty Cheetah
  • lmoa im not here
    • Awards
  • Species: Air Dragon
  • Coloring: Dragon fursona, White with black underbelly and purple inner ears
  • Height: 5 '9
  • Weight: 179 Pounds
  • Build: Muscular
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 12:12:13 AM »
Andriod FTW, plus you should try turing off  Wifi bluetooth, and any non used things while outside of the house, turn auto brightness down and auto brightness off, and (if your using one) consider toning down the activity of your live background (I.E less particles that arent as bright with less frequency.) Plus consider installing ADW launcher (Wont delete anything, but might require restart) to have further options.
By doing this im able to get around 1-2 days of non use (small use to check time and pass time with apps and music) without charging, or 20 HOURS of music.
This is with my Nexus one (Forerunnner of the S) and im happy with it.

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster
  • It's all fire and brimstone, baby.
    • Awards
  • Species: Bull Were-ier
  • Build: Thick
  • Currently: apprehensive.
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 01:55:41 PM »
Please do not necro old threads.