The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Please Critique My First Furry Art  (Read 1345 times)

Offline KBoyer

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Lagomorph (Rabbit)
  • Coloring: Cream outer and White Inner
  • Height: 5ft 3in
  • Weight: 113
  • Build: Slim, Petite
Please Critique My First Furry Art
« on: February 10, 2011, 09:49:09 AM »
Hi my name is Kristen Boyer. I've been a furry pretty much ever since Second Life came about in 2005.

I can draw scenes and environment very well with charcoal but as for the furry shape and dimensions I've always been at a block

I drew my fursona that I have modified and adapted in Second Life. The thing is furries in second life are three dimensional and not in a single frame as furry art is. So I took a few ideas from other art and tried to tie it in to my own.

I wish to eventually draw in color and shades similar to how wolfy-nail shades and colors his creations. And eventually I would like to progress to even yiffy art X3

So if you would please critique my first drawing and give ideas about what I should do. I seem to find the breasts, nose, and mouth the most difficult.

And maybe someone can re-edit it for me? Cause that would be wonderful  :*

Anyhow first picture is the sources I used and the second is my "artwork" (I tried to make her look a bit appalled) and the third is my avatar's face in second life.

Any help would be great, thanks :D

Post Merge: February 10, 2011, 12:55:17 PM
Oh and this is after I inked it a bit

One other problem I have is that I can draw one eye but I can never get the other eye to look exact hence the "lazy eye" on the right lol

think I make her mouth open too wide too xD
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 07:28:00 AM by KBoyer »

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
Re: Please Critique My First Furry Art
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 03:17:54 AM »
It's not a bad start really. The head is pretty large in general. Realistically, a person's head is about half the width of the shoulders. Also, I'd agree with what you said about the lazy eye and the mouth being open too wide. The hair looks pretty good, and the proportions on the rest of the body aren't too bad though the arms are a bit thin.

Hope that helps.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline KBoyer

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Lagomorph (Rabbit)
  • Coloring: Cream outer and White Inner
  • Height: 5ft 3in
  • Weight: 113
  • Build: Slim, Petite
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 07:24:38 AM »
Thanks for the input  :3 im slowly fixing it in GIMP and soon painter 11. this is what I did so far. (Inking the eyes and nose and shrunk the mouth and head also elongated the neck - Didn't ink the left eye though yet. I also cloned the left eye to the right to make them more similar )

Also are there any other programs like GIMP or painter 11 or even PaintTool  Sai that are easy to use for inking coloring and modifying? Thanks  :*

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 08:21:28 AM »
Sai and Photoshop are the most common art programs I know of. I use Photoshop myself. GIMP works well enough as well, it's a good free option. The drawing is looking better with the adjustments you made.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.