Author Topic: So many canids!  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Aristocrap

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Striped Hyena
  • Coloring: Grey, black and brown fur
  • Build: Slim-Average
So many canids!
« on: April 06, 2011, 09:19:11 PM »
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything with the search bar.
Why are there so many canid furries? (wolves, foxes, dogs, and canines mixed with every other animal under the sun, etc.)
I don't know if that's the case here, but it sure is in other communities I've seen. Where's the originality?

Offline Alexei

• Crafty Canadian
  • Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • To the moon
  • Species: Cheetah Fox!
  • Height: 180 cm
  • Weight: 66 kg
  • Build: Relatively Lean
  • Currently: Collecting the pieces of my life and putting them back together.
Re: So many canids!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 09:54:06 PM »
I'm not really sure, canids have a lot to be admire, I guess.

It's a popular family I suppose
  • Signature art by: The Black Keys

I must admit
I can't explain
Any of these thoughts racing
Through my brain

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Healed up
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 09:55:34 PM »
I have wings attached to my back, does that count :P? I think people choose animals based upon what they are more familiar with and find interests in.
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline Alexei

• Crafty Canadian
  • Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • To the moon
  • Species: Cheetah Fox!
  • Height: 180 cm
  • Weight: 66 kg
  • Build: Relatively Lean
  • Currently: Collecting the pieces of my life and putting them back together.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 09:57:40 PM »
I've really considered Alexei to be more feline, but I'm really not sure.
  • Signature art by: The Black Keys

I must admit
I can't explain
Any of these thoughts racing
Through my brain

Offline Aristocrap

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 10:16:06 PM »
It's just there are so many canids! I'd estimate roughly 40-50% of the fandom as having canid or canid-hybrid fursonas. Is that because canines are more familiar to us than other animals? (pets, folklore, etc.)

I've heard people try to back up their choice of - let's say a fox - by assosiating themselves with traits foxes are thought to have: inteligence, cunning, wariness, slyness, etc. But why a fox? Why not be original and pick a raven or crow? They're among the most intellegent birds, believe it or not. There are tons of other, spectacular animals out in our world other than dogs and cat is people would only look.

Offline Kin Kitsune

• Avid Aardvark
  • >:3
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 10:46:24 PM »
I should be a dung beetle for a week.

Offline Vee Katame: His Wolfy

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Werepyre
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Werepyre
  • Coloring: Light blue and white fur & hair, deep blue eyes, black claws, and a dark red tongue.
  • Height: 5'5".
  • Weight: Around 130 lbs.
  • Build: Skinny, a little bit of curve at the hips, and a little muscular.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 10:54:52 PM »
Maybe some people who identify with the traits that both ravens and foxes have, but they like the looks of foxes better.

I personally love and admire all animals and think each one is special, but I can't help but have my actual fursona be a wolf (actually a werepyre, to be exactly right) because I identify with canines (particularly wolves and dogs) the most out of all animals.
But I also have other side characters and only one of them is canine in some way (and it's only half).
EDIT: Oops, there's actually one other canine along with the one who is half.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:43:14 AM by VeeSmith: His Wolfy »

Mini badge/banner art by WingedZephyr

"True love doesn't have a happy ending because true love doesn't end." - Unknown

Offline Octavia

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • Octavia, at your service.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • xShadowx
    • Awards
  • Species: Suricata vulpes
  • Height: 5'6
  • Weight: 130lbs
  • Build: lean
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 11:10:41 PM »
i'm a hybrid....half fox half meerkat.

Fox was my oiginal fursona for thelongest time but as I chagned..so did my fursona (naturally)

ithink though that they're most commonis that it's themore known species family of animals....liek especially up here in Canada....we have foxes and wolves and coyotes all over the place. Canada is partly known for it's wide varietyof animals and such...even though canids come up more often...I have wolf shirts from when I was a little kid...

Offline Aristocrap

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 12:20:58 AM »
Hm, I suppose it does depend on one's circumstances and I'm sure there are people who can honestly say they indentify best with canids. Hats off to them, but it just irks me when people (typically newbies) adon a canid fursona just because it's a fad or seems cool.

Though you canids who've posted here seem to be the more honest of the bunch and I respect that.

Offline .: ♥ Kiniia ♥ :.

• Pony and Coffee Lover
  • Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • yes yes i would like a coffee pls.
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: White fur and blonde hair with very light cyan
  • Height: 5'8"
  • Weight: 110
  • Build: Slight and weak
  • Currently: thingken of goign fast... ;~;
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 01:00:15 AM »
To be honest. Why does it even matter what other people choose as their fursona? It's their choice.

But in regards to the actual discussion I agree with a lot of the points here, There is usually a lot of characteristics about Canids that people wish they had. Sociable, Strong, quick. there is also ideals that are associated with them, like the alpha male, or the lone wolf etc. In other parts of the fandom dragons are quite popular too, mostly from the exposure and Ideals they bring, very similar to the Canid species.

Another Reason why is maybe they just choose that as a starting point and perhaps move-on to a more developed fursona later on. I know I started as a fox, then a snow leopard, then a Wolf, then a lynx, then a maine coon, then a raccoon, then a skunk, then a squirrel, then a maned wolf, and then I created my own species.

To be honest. Why should we judge on other people's fursonas at all? Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's bad. The fandom isn't a contest to see who has the most original fursona. It's a place to be the animal who you identify as being similar to, or maybe just acting like your favourite one.

I think the moral of the story is, don't judge a book by its cover. Just because they are a fox or wolf or dragon does not mean they should be thought less of. I know lots of foxes and wolves and they are all really cool furs, and all very different from one another. :)

I hope you will remember me, At least say so to comfort me, You say goodbye so easily, Its now or never, It may seem really pitiful, But life became too beautiful, The pain of love unbearable, It's now or never, Gone Forever.