The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Voices for masks?  (Read 2083 times)

Offline KE6WNH

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
Voices for masks?
« on: November 12, 2010, 03:20:26 PM »
This morning after a furry told me she doesn't talk in her masks, I remembered a small amplifier I built as a high school shop project over 20 years ago. Well I still have the design and the parts are still available (and cheap!)... this little gizmo can be shrunk down to the size of a cigarette lighter and is powered by a 9-volt battery, so it could easily fit in the snouts of many masks. The audio is a little tinny but this can be fixed by placing a piece of flannel over the mike... so it really comes down to the problem of what part of the inside of a mask to locate the mike and the speaker. Sounds kind of Darth Vader-ish, but I think it would really work, at least for those whose fursonas are the same as IRL.

What say you crew?  B)
You'll never do anything right if you listen to all the wrong people. ---my friend Ed

Offline iKero-chu™

• Ferrachulicious
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum. Top 10 Topic Starter
  • Chu~ :'3
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Hot Dumpster (Ferret/Pikachu/Corgi)
  • Build: Thicc
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: god left me unfinished
Re: Voices for masks?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 03:31:06 PM »
This morning after a furry told me she doesn't talk in her masks, I remembered a small amplifier I built as a high school shop project over 20 years ago. Well I still have the design and the parts are still available (and cheap!)... this little gizmo can be shrunk down to the size of a cigarette lighter and is powered by a 9-volt battery, so it could easily fit in the snouts of many masks. The audio is a little tinny but this can be fixed by placing a piece of flannel over the mike... so it really comes down to the problem of what part of the inside of a mask to locate the mike and the speaker. Sounds kind of Darth Vader-ish, but I think it would really work, at least for those whose fursonas are the same as IRL.

What say you crew?  B)

Thats actually pretty interesting.
(/\       /\)
(`o・ ω ・o´)
Chuuu~
Comission Info
Furcode

Offline KE6WNH

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 10:45:43 PM »
About the worst thing I can say about it is that it will probably freak a few people out, unless a lot of these amps start finding their way into circulation... not that many people expect to hear a suited character speak clear as a bell.  :D

While hiking this morning, I told a techie buddy about it and he says it would be economically feasible if at least a dozen people wanted to buy it for their fursuit masks, but he says my estimate of the size of the amp and speaker were way too big---he says they each need be no larger than a quarter! (He has never heard of furries before and was quite amused by a few vids he watched of them.)

Of course if your fursona is the opposite sex from your real self or if your voice sounds pretty raspy, you may have a bit of a problem...  :o
You'll never do anything right if you listen to all the wrong people. ---my friend Ed

Offline iKero-chu™

• Ferrachulicious
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum. Top 10 Topic Starter
  • Chu~ :'3
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Hot Dumpster (Ferret/Pikachu/Corgi)
  • Build: Thicc
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: god left me unfinished
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 11:40:35 PM »
About the worst thing I can say about it is that it will probably freak a few people out, unless a lot of these amps start finding their way into circulation... not that many people expect to hear a suited character speak clear as a bell.  :D

While hiking this morning, I told a techie buddy about it and he says it would be economically feasible if at least a dozen people wanted to buy it for their fursuit masks, but he says my estimate of the size of the amp and speaker were way too big---he says they each need be no larger than a quarter! (He has never heard of furries before and was quite amused by a few vids he watched of them.)

Of course if your fursona is the opposite sex from your real self or if your voice sounds pretty raspy, you may have a bit of a problem...  :o

Mmm I suppose.
But if you could get it to work than I'm pretty positive a many fursuiters would purchase this.
(/\       /\)
(`o・ ω ・o´)
Chuuu~
Comission Info
Furcode

Offline serpington

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Most Online
  • I'm not a bad man.....I just do things bad men do.
    • Awards
  • Species: Spider
  • Coloring: Black with red patterning
  • Height: 10 foot
  • Currently: silently watching
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 10:25:18 PM »
"how small did you say you could make those amps? cos they could be used by more than just furrys that wear fursuits.
“I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
"If ever you should need my life, come and take it. If I die, I forgive you, if I recover, we shall see."

Offline ZombiezuRFER

• Dancing Dragon
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Spinosaurus aegyptiacus
  • Coloring: Grey, red, rust red, light blue, yellow eyes, black claws
  • Height: 9 ft 9 in
  • Weight: 360 lbs
  • Build: Tall, strong, and lean
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 10:40:21 PM »
I'd like something a little louder... for mah rar...  Must find the proper sound effect now though, if I'm ever going to get to use such a thing

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!
= Special Operations =

Et tu, Human?
De oculo mentis, servire se optimum est.

Offline Aoren Deringer

• Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • When god closes a door, I plant a breaching charge
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: African Painted Dog
  • Coloring: Black, red and white.
  • Height: Standing: short. Sitting: Slightly... taller?
  • Weight: 97.000000000000017 Kg
  • Build: Medium build, muscular.
  • Currently: Working on the sweetest sciences
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 01:22:01 AM »
I used to have something like this, it was made out of an old speaker and a cp mic  :o

Anyhow, marketing that would be a great idea, maybe you could even make a camera and monitor in it so all our suited-up buddies can have a good 20/20 view. Maybe even with zoom....
Hmm... I'm going to go dissasemble a camera now... See if I can't make that myself....  :D
  • Avatar by: Myself, during an experiment with inversion.
"Science isn't about being conservative with your cash, it's about spending as much as you can as ridiculously as you can and hoping it doesn't explode."
- Sjin

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!
-Aoren Rekner Ilon Deringer, F.D.F. Mechanised Unit Commander, Four Stars.

Life is an adventure! Sure, you'll probably spend most of it weeping uncontrollably, and on fire, but hey!

Offline armagre

• Boisterous Bear
  • I R Armagare!
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: normal fox colors really at the moment
  • Height: 5' 5"
  • Weight: 125 bls
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 01:35:42 PM »
if you could make something like that i know i would buy it! Im sure many people will and not even furs

Offline Narke

• Avid Aardvark
  • There is no I in team, but there is an I in pie.
    • Awards
  • Species: Draccoon (Dragon/Raccoon)
  • Coloring: Various shades of Grey, with blue eyes
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: 120 lbs
  • Build: Average
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 10:15:10 PM »
That actually sound like a good idea! I have one question though: Will the voice sound slightly mechanical? Because honestly that would go well once i begin construction.
ALWAYS BET ON DUKE