The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Getting me interested again?  (Read 474 times)

Monster Mash

Getting me interested again?
« on: October 18, 2010, 07:01:12 AM »
Yeah, not sure if i'll have much luck posting here but I might as well try. I fear that lately i've been losing my interest in the fandom (but we all know my history for not being able to stay away so quitting the fandom is not an option, neither is taking a break) so i'm wondering if anyone has some tips/advice on things I can do to get me interested again? I thought about maybe trying to roleplay here but for that i'd need a fursona and I still can't seem to come up with something I like well enough to stick with. I also thought about going to conventions, fursuiting, and the like but that wont be available anytime soon due to financial and living conditions. I've even tried joining other furry forums/sites and looking up people to hang out with in the area but that hasn't gone well so far.

Offline Armalite_

• Shoots to Thrill
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
  • For the phony tough and the crazy brave.
    • Fur Affinity
    • My FA
    • Awards
  • Species: Spotted Hyena
  • Coloring: White, brown, charcoal, and green
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 200 lbs.
  • Build: Toned
  • Reference: [link]
Re: Getting me interested again?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 03:17:29 PM »
Nox, it sounds like you're just frustrated. You're not losing interest but I think you just need to come to terms that the fandom is limited to whatever you see on your computer screen at home. It sucks, I know. You don't have to quit on the forum, fandom, and the roleplaying, but there's only so much available when given the time and resources.

Yeah, you could try drawing the art for people, or slowly making your own suit or saving up for one. If you like furry art, you can check out furry art sites, talk with artists, talk with writers and get tips on how to create something of your own if you don't know already. The fandom is definitely something that requires creativity and the will to like creating. Fursona picking and creating can be difficult but it's not impossible. If there's someone you like in RL or a fictional character you know of that you're a fan of, base your character off him or her until one day you decide that you might like something better. For example, my fursona's based off of me.

<--------------Look at him! Those are my clothes he's wearing! >:(

If you don't think you can keep up with the conventions or fursuiting, then accept the fact that it's not going to happen any time soon. To me, the fandom is nothing more than an online passtime where I can look at art and talk to the people I love when I have the time. I have different hobbies I can't live without. I like dirtbiking, racing, videogames, and playing guitar. The fandom's up there on top with those things but it's not something I"ve dedicated my life to because I know it's such a hard hobby to make happen in RL (I can't afford a suit or plane tickets to fly to every convention, nor do I care enough about it to spend that kind of money on it). If you absolutely want to stay interested in the fandom, you WILL find a way. There's got to be something about the fandom you love if you don't want to give it up and keep doing whatever that is.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 03:21:10 PM by Spike »

Offline iKero-chu™

• Ferrachulicious
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 10 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • Chu~ :'3
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Hot Dumpster (Ferret/Pikachu/Corgi)
  • Build: Thicc
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: god left me unfinished
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 03:27:44 PM »
Yeah, not sure if i'll have much luck posting here but I might as well try. I fear that lately i've been losing my interest in the fandom (but we all know my history for not being able to stay away so quitting the fandom is not an option, neither is taking a break) so i'm wondering if anyone has some tips/advice on things I can do to get me interested again? I thought about maybe trying to roleplay here but for that i'd need a fursona and I still can't seem to come up with something I like well enough to stick with. I also thought about going to conventions, fursuiting, and the like but that wont be available anytime soon due to financial and living conditions. I've even tried joining other furry forums/sites and looking up people to hang out with in the area but that hasn't gone well so far.

Well, to be interested in something you kinda have to BE interested.
I mean, you could try drawing or doing whatever you use to do when you had your interests in the furry fandom.
But if that doesn't work it just means you've moved on and changed, which is okay.
Our interests and likes change over time obviously.
(/\       /\)
(`o・ ω ・o´)
Chuuu~
Comission Info
Furcode

Offline Ares the Ram

• Diamond in the rough
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. Top 10 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 04:12:50 PM »
Pretty much what Spike said. Picking a fursona tho is easier than you may think. You can have more than one if you want. Just pick an animal you like, lets say cat for example, and blammo! instant fursona.

Offline josh_down

• Dancing Dragon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Herbivorous Lion
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 09:00:41 AM »
choosing a fursona isn't like choosing a boyfriend... fursonas aren't people (... well... not real people) and so they're disposable if you ever decide... "man i hate polecats! why did i ever decide to become a polecat? i don't even know what they look like" ... then it's perfectly fine. i think pretty much every furry went through a few phases before hitting on their species(s), i'd imagine that some never decide too.

i went through phases of being a wolf for a long time, but then i discovered that everyone else was a wolf too, so the drive to be stubbornly different from everyone else made me become a raccoon for a while... then i re-discovered my fascination with lions. and here i am, probably about 4 years later with my lion character.

i would say start experimenting with fursonas and friends who'll role-play with your fursona. perhaps more on a 1-1 basis than on forums, though that's just my personal preference maybe. you could also try some of the art-forms that happen, because the furry fandom rises and falls on it's art. (not just pictures... stories, music & poetry is somewhat vibrant around the furry world too). have a bash at doing a bit of drawing, maybe write some stories involving your newly discovered fursona! stories that you'll look back on in a couple of years and scream "ahhh god!!! what the hell?"

but anyway... all in the life of a fur. i wish you luck, and hope that you keep hanging around
The further on I go, all the less i know.
I can't find...
only us, breathing;
only us, sleeping;
only us, dreaming;
only us

Offline ___

• Origami Guru
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 11:29:24 PM »
Now, coming from a furry of 3 years (Its been that long?) if you're not intrested, you're not intrested. Tastes change, so don't fight it if you find yourself drifting from the fandom. I've done it, and now I'm back here, why? Cuz I was irritated, not unintrested. Just gotta find the right furry crowd.

Monster Mash

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 12:43:07 AM »
I do still have some interest, or I wouldn't be here. I think it's more of me not being able to let go of the past and get a fresh start. I do have a bit of history on here and as i've said before I miss the way things used to be so that would explain my un-interest in the forum. As for my drifting interest in the fandom I think a big part of it is instead of just creating what I want I worry about making a fursona others will like.

And I know the fandom is just a hobby, i've told others that myself, but one of these days if all goes well I would like to get into making my own suits, doing artwork commissions and the like. And the experimenting with fursonas thing and roleplaying with others sounds like a good idea but first I have to make some friends! *coughs* The 'older members' unfortunately know how I can be so it isn't easy.

Offline FireFox

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Drive fast waste gas!
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Red back with a tanish stomach, paws are the oranges and furry
  • Height: 5'11''
  • Weight: 180
  • Build: muscle
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 01:27:27 AM »
Hey, I had the same problem. But what I did is i came back here to read some posts and that helped a lot. I guess so did the Halloween costume idea did too. Hope i could help if you wanna talk my aims in my profile
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\n\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\nIMVU:Furrybro\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\n\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\n\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\n\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\n