The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: New to all things Furry  (Read 1748 times)

Offline 1funn

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Irish Pygmy Goat
  • Height: 5'5"
New to all things Furry
« on: September 19, 2010, 10:11:20 PM »
Hi guys, I'm Vea. I'm a 20 year old college student, an artist, and a customer service representative. I've done a lot of art commissions in the past, but just recently I was commissioned by someone asking for their "Fursona". I ended up having fun drawing anthro characters, and I delved into the world of furries. I'm still a little unclear on the whole matter, but I'm really interested in the community and think this might be something I'd like to be a part of. Just a few questions, what do "Furries" generally do? What do they need to know? How to I find out what my "fursona" is, and what is a fursona used for?

Thanks, I look forward to making some friends here. :)

- Vea  ;)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 10:37:14 PM by Vea »

Offline Somebody

• Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
Re: New to all things Furry
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 11:45:39 PM »
The only thing you need to know about the furry fandom is that at its base, its the love or appreciation of Anthropomorphic things. That being anything, such as animals, with human characteristics. Some furries like to delve more into it by wearing fursuits of their fursonas. Others like to roleplay and others still take it to a more adult level.(Adult things prohibited on this site) To be a furry you simply need to appreciate Anthropomorphic things, most commonly art. Everything else is just a choice of the particular person.

As for "Fursona" its typically just a character you use to represent yourself. For example my "Scalesona" is a dragon raptor. They can be used for anything you like from a representation of yourself to a roleplay character. They can simply just be something you like to draw and have no more meaning then that. Choosing on of your own is merely choosing something you would like to be your character be it an animal or even an object with human features.

Best thing I can advise is to not become a furry thinking its some kind of cult with restrictions or laws. Its merely just a community based around Anthro creatures, nothing more and nothing less
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 11:50:57 PM by Tezztor Aslir Ne'taku »

Offline 1funn

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 11:51:04 PM »
The only thing you need to know about the furry fandom is that at its base, its the love or appreciation of Anthropomorphic things. That being anything, such and animals, with human characteristics. Some furries like to delve more into it by wearing fursuits of their fursonas. Others like to roleplay and others still take it to a more adult level. To be a furry you simply need to appreciate Anthropomorphic things, most commonly art. Everything else is just a choie of the particular person

As for "Fursona" its typically just a character you use to represent yourself. For example my "Scalesona" is a dragon raptor. They can be used for anything you like from a representation of yourself to a roleplay character. They can simply just be something you like to draw and have no more meaning then that.

Best thing I can advise is to not become a furry thinking its some kind of cult with restrictions or laws. Its merely just a community based around Anthro creatures, nothing more and nothing less

Oh, thank you. That clears a lot of things up. :D This seems like a lot of fun, I'm starting to really enjoy furry artwork. At least the bit of it I've already seen. I love your avatar, but the way. =)

Offline Somebody

• Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 11:53:09 PM »
Its pretty easy to get into once you figure it out.

Thank you, I drew it myself

Offline 1funn

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 11:54:35 PM »
That's really impressive! Is there a full image of it, or is it just an avatar?

Offline Somebody

• Racious Racoon
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 12:01:23 AM »
It was mainly just a bust, the full picture is just a bit wider and taller but what you see is pretty much the most of it minus the ends of his spikes and the end of the guitar

Offline 1funn

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 12:03:51 AM »
The shading is exquisite, you have a wonderful sense of lighting. I'm envious!

Offline Somebody

• Racious Racoon
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 12:08:42 AM »
If only I were as good at drawing the characters as coloring and shading. We have an art section, if your art is clean you should thinking about linking them. I'm sure we'd love to see them.

Art is not a measure of skill but feeling. Even a stick figure can portray emotion if the feeling is there

Offline 1funn

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 12:14:05 AM »
Yep, I might post some of my art one day, probably soon. I'm a huge art appreciator, I'm currently finishing my AA so I can transfer to an art school.

Offline Somebody

• Racious Racoon
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 12:55:22 AM »
I've never taken an art class in my life. I so badly wanted to go to college for arts but sadly it never worked out.

Best of luck to you on that

Offline 1funn

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 12:57:22 AM »
I'm not a fan of most art classes, it's hard to find a class without a nutty teacher.

Thank you!  ^_^

Offline Takarah Luna

• Dorky Therian Chick
  • Chatty Cheetah
  • Just me... Plain and simple...
    • Awards
  • Species: plain 'ol wolf
  • Coloring: black and silver with a rainbow striped tail
  • Height: Five feet, ten inches
  • Weight: 130lbs
  • Build: Medium to skinny-ish and tall
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 01:11:45 AM »
Hello vea, welcome to the forums... I'm takarah Luna ravei... But for simplicities sake, call me Luna...
Proud wolf therian and furry!!!
My DA= http://pistolvaunwulf.deviantart.com/

"IMMA FIRIN MY LAZAR!!! BLAAAAAARRGH!!!"
-the lazer collection (best youtube video(s) ever!)

Offline 1funn

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 01:13:28 AM »
Very nice to meet you. =)

Offline Takarah Luna

• Dorky Therian Chick
  • Chatty Cheetah
  • Just me... Plain and simple...
    • Awards
  • Species: plain 'ol wolf
  • Coloring: black and silver with a rainbow striped tail
  • Height: Five feet, ten inches
  • Weight: 130lbs
  • Build: Medium to skinny-ish and tall
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 01:15:06 AM »
Nice to meet you too... We need more squirrels on the forum; squirrels are awsome!
Proud wolf therian and furry!!!
My DA= http://pistolvaunwulf.deviantart.com/

"IMMA FIRIN MY LAZAR!!! BLAAAAAARRGH!!!"
-the lazer collection (best youtube video(s) ever!)

Offline 1funn

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 01:17:31 AM »
It took me a little while to decide, though I'm not 100% certain a squirrel is the right choice for me...I basically thought "What's an animal I see a lot of?" and then, the obvious: All the bloody squirrels in my yard that eat from my bird feeders!! Haha. They're cute, though. I like bushy tails...and I can relate to rodents. Being at the bottom of the food chain, woo hoo!