The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Stressing over school...  (Read 501 times)

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
Stressing over school...
« on: September 11, 2010, 10:04:02 PM »
I don't normally bother taking the time to rant about stuff here, but this has been such a pain in my tail that I just need to have a good long vent about it... And by "long" I mean very, very long. >.> Sorry.

So first things first. There's this project I've been working on for school. My class is working on producing a short animated film, and I'm the lead rigger for the film. For anyone who doesn't know what rigging is, it's basically setting up the joints, skeleton, and animation controls of characters/objects. It's much more complicated than that sounds, and most people don't enjoy doing it. I kinda like it though, so I volunteered for the job. I wanted to learn more about it and see if it would be something I'd want to do as a job once I'm out of school. So as the lead rigger for our film, I've been assigned to rig both of the main characters in our story.

Now, I'm still very new to rigging, and still relatively new to the 3D program we use even (Maya, for anyone who's curious). I did one simple rig last year, and that's the total of my experience with rigging. The rigging I'm doing now is about 5 times as complex as the one I did before.

I was assigned this project back in April. At that time, my professor handed me a 3-inch thick, 8.5"x11" book, told me all the instructions I'd need would be in there, and that she'd be willing to give me extra help along the way if I needed it. She wanted me to work on it over summer vacation so that it would be done when classes started in the fall. Unfortunately, I couldn't start rigging until after the summer break started because the person who was modeling the characters didn't finish until then. But I figured, the books seemed to give pretty thorough instructions, and my professor's always been really good about helping me out before, so I could get it done over the summer.

Fast forward a bit; I hadn't forgotten about my rigging duties over the summer, and I set aside the entire month of July to work on it. Rigging was supposed to take maybe 1-2 weeks per character, so I figured four weeks plus whatever other time I could squeeze in afterward would be plenty. Plus, the deadline wasn't very "solid" at the time, so I knew I would have even more wiggle room than that. So I started rigging... and shortly ran into a problem. Something wasn't working right, even though I was following the directions. I messaged my professor, and waited for a response. She replies the next day, asking me to email her the file I was working on. I emailed it, and got no response. Waited another week, figuring maybe she was just busy. (You know, despite the fact that she spends a few hours every day playing facebook games.) Still no fix to my problem, so I messaged her again. And again, she tells me to email her the file. >_> So I say "I already did, but I can send it again... Let me know if you get it or not." I emailed it, and never got a reply. After another week (now having thrown two weeks' worth of time to the wind), I figure out that I'm not going to get an answer from her. So I email one of my classmates who knows Maya better than I do, and luckily he was able to help me. Without him I wouldn't have gotten anything done at all. He also helped me with a couple other problems I ran into as I continued to work.

My professor ended up giving me an answer to my original problem - an entire month later. By then I was already way past that point. However, because I lost two weeks waiting for her answer earlier, I ended up not finishing the rigging before I got super busy in August. I had family visiting, my job gave me a lot of hours, and by the end of it I didn't have a spare moment to do anything. I told my professor I wasn't done, and she told me not to worry, that I'd have four weeks or so at the beginning of school to work on it.

So school starts, I bring in my project files and such so that I can work on it during school. I spend just about all my time working on it, every day, for the first week of school. Then I run into more problems, and I got to sit down with my professor to see if we could get the issues worked out. At this point, the rig was about half done for one character... except half of those things that I'd done, weren't working properly. And after we talked it over, we decided I'd have to just redo those parts - which would mean an extra few days of time. I'm also thoroughly frustrated with it by this point because the project has been hanging over my head for almost four months, and I feel like I've had nothing but problems with it.

Not only that, but when I spoke to my professor about the issues, she asked me: "Well have you been following the check lists I gave you?" And I was like, "....What check lists?" And she said, "The check lists I gave you. There are errors in the book, you're supposed to be following the instructions on the check lists, because they have the corrections."

...... ARRRRRRRRRRGH!

She never mentioned any check lists before. She specifically told me "all you have to do is follow the book." That's what I did. But apparently there were check lists she had given me grouped in together with a bunch of other files she had given me for the project. She never pointed out the check lists, never said I was supposed to follow them instead, and even if I had opened the check lists on my own, there's nothing on there that indicates I was supposed to follow those instead. I had no clue.

Eventually I decided that I was better off just scrapping what I'd done and starting over. The parts I had to redo were the more difficult and time-consuming parts of it anyway. So all the time I spent on it over the summer and that first week of school, essentially went down the tubes. I now had three weeks left to rig two characters, and I still didn't know what I was doing half the time.

Still determined to finish though... I restarted the rigging. Things went quite a bit faster the second time around at least, because I mostly knew what I was doing this time and had learned from previous mistakes. So far so good. But this is where I am today. Still rigging the first character, and I only have a week left now. I'm hoping there will be some kind of miracle and that the second character will be a breeze, but it's not looking hopeful. It's driving me crazy because I have to read each line of the instructions 5 times to make sure I'm getting it right, because even the smallest things can totally screw it up. Even capitalizing the wrong thing can cause all sorts of malfunctions. There's a lot of programming involved as well, so syntax counts. I have to worry about so many things all at once and make sure everything's the way it's supposed to be.

And the thing is... I still think I would like rigging. I'm just so incredibly frustrated with the lack of help I've received, the learning curve I'm struggling against, my time constraints, and feeling just alone in general on this that it's driving me crazy. I'm only one of two people in my class who's doing this kind of character rigging, so nobody really understands it or can help me out. (The other person who's rigging is the guy who was able to help me out before, but I hate to bother him too much, you know?) I'm just so frustrated and stressed out. And the worst part is, I think my professor is interpreting my frustration to mean that I don't like rigging, so when it comes time to pick something we want to focus on doing as a career, she's probably going to suggest I do something else. It wouldn't be so bad if I could just learn more of the basics before being thrust into this kind of project. I just don't know what to do. ._.

*sigh*

So that's been my life for the past four months. Kudos to anyone who bothered to read all that. I need to get back to work...

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Vosur Aekira

• Old Wolf of the Sprites.
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 10 Most Online Top 10 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Currently: Exhausted
Re: Stressing over school...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 10:53:06 PM »
Do give yourself time to recover from all of this when you are through. Seems like things have gotten so rough the past few months for everyone.

Offline Ares the Ram

• Diamond in the rough
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 05:40:32 AM »
Gah! wall of text! no seriously, teacher failed on not pointing out the checklist. keep on truckin' and just hope next time wont be so bad. fingers crossed for miracle  0:)

Offline Self-sain

• The Unlikely Love
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
  • black and white isn't to bad
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Foat (Bat/Fox)
  • Coloring: purpule
  • Height: 5'7
  • Weight: 112
  • Build: thin some tone
  • Currently: Done with everything
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 11:00:04 PM »
Ok well the first thing i can do is give you credit, I would be more then fuming if someone took all summer to do something that you needed. Another thing I hate is when teachers expect you to understand what your suppose too do with out them telling, or when they don't answer your questions.

Another thing to do, is take a brake, small one, but a brake. If all you do is the project, it will be so over done, and so boring, your "statistically" more prone to accidents, and high stress level.  

Best of luck
if you ever want to see Lil Johny again...
YOU WILL LOOK D:<

Offline Takarah Luna

• Dorky Therian Chick
  • Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Just me... Plain and simple...
    • Awards
  • Species: plain 'ol wolf
  • Coloring: black and silver with a rainbow striped tail
  • Height: Five feet, ten inches
  • Weight: 130lbs
  • Build: Medium to skinny-ish and tall
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 11:54:39 PM »
AHH! Wall of ZypherText!! All inunderstood was 3d rigging class... Good luck Zyph!
Proud wolf therian and furry!!!
My DA= http://pistolvaunwulf.deviantart.com/

"IMMA FIRIN MY LAZAR!!! BLAAAAAARRGH!!!"
-the lazer collection (best youtube video(s) ever!)

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 12:01:31 AM »
Thanks, guys.

Do give yourself time to recover from all of this when you are through. Seems like things have gotten so rough the past few months for everyone.

I can only hope things settle down when this is over so I can relax a bit. Probably won't though. :/

Ok well the first thing i can do is give you credit, I would be more then fuming if someone took all summer to do something that you needed. Another thing I hate is when teachers expect you to understand what your suppose too do with out them telling, or when they don't answer your questions.

Another thing to do, is take a brake, small one, but a brake. If all you do is the project, it will be so over done, and so boring, your "statistically" more prone to accidents, and high stress level. 

Best of luck

It's taken a lot of effort to keep from getting too angry sometimes. I don't have much of a chance to vent, and of course keeping the frustration to myself only makes me feel more like crap.

I try to take breaks, but they never make me feel better because then I just feel worse about putting the work off. I just don't have enough time. ._.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Self-sain

• The Unlikely Love
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
  • black and white isn't to bad
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Foat (Bat/Fox)
  • Coloring: purpule
  • Height: 5'7
  • Weight: 112
  • Build: thin some tone
  • Currently: Done with everything
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 12:16:54 AM »
I hate when that happens in life, but it does, so the only thing you can do is move along.
if you ever want to see Lil Johny again...
YOU WILL LOOK D:<

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Received through special limited time events This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Currently: Healed up
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 03:57:19 AM »
I'm sorry Zeph, and yes I read the whole thing! It's just not fun when you're forced to try to do something you've never really done before or not that well at least. I wish there was some way I could help D:
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline Vee Katame: His Wolfy

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Werepyre
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Werepyre
  • Coloring: Light blue and white fur & hair, deep blue eyes, black claws, and a dark red tongue.
  • Height: 5'5".
  • Weight: Around 130 lbs.
  • Build: Skinny, a little bit of curve at the hips, and a little muscular.
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 03:54:06 PM »
I read the whole thing...
I'm so sorry that you've had to deal with all that crap. I hope you can get a chance to relax after all of that is done with. You need it.

Mini badge/banner art by WingedZephyr

"True love doesn't have a happy ending because true love doesn't end." - Unknown

Offline KittKat chunky~

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • 100% chocolate-wafer feline!
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lynx / Wildcat
  • Coloring: Dappled brown-grey and white
  • Height: 5' 7" ish
  • Build: Chunkeh
  • Currently: Nom!
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 04:15:47 PM »
I read the entire thing as well, and I hope our favourite Cagon gets some time to rest her busy paws after all this...

Good luck with finishing it, and its good to hear you still like the idea of rigging after you leave school, despite what happened this time... Modern animation is awesome with what they can do... Just a shame I dont know a thing about it  :/

Keep on truckin'!    :)
  • Avatar by: Avatar art drawn by me
100% chocolate-wafer feline!

"The Slovak optimist is learning English, the Slovak pesimist is learning Russian and the Slovak realist is learning to shoot an AK-47"

Offline Raphial

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Founder of iRaph Designs & Studios.
    • Active Assaults Online
    • Awards
  • Species: White fox/wolf
  • Height: 6' 3"
  • Weight: 185 lbs
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 04:38:42 PM »
I remember the old Maya haha. I have Maya 2010 right now, and it's pretty cool, but a very complicated program. I can see some parts of your frustration because I've spent days and days and days just modeling a simple car, then a friend coincidently screwed up my computer, and I had to start all over after spending two weeks on the darn thing. But I know it can be frustrating. Have you tried looking up tutorials online? Or on Google? They helped me a lot. I'm not sure what else to tell you other than you may need to just sit back and relax for a day, then get back to the project. That always helps me. Another thing is listen to music...mellow music though. That always helps me when I'm frustrated...and making video games isn't a frustration-free project. One thing that you have to realize is this: It's going to frustrate you. Nothing you can do about that. Just hang in there with your head high and keep on "Truckin" as a member already said. The worst thing you can do is give up, so don't. : p Good luck~