The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Favorite Linux Distros  (Read 4238 times)

Offline Garth

• Teh awesome! n.n
  • Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: German Shepherd
  • Height: 7 foot
Re: Favorite Linux Distros
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2010, 08:49:19 PM »
mmmm.  I guess the next thing then, is what are people's views on GNOME / KDE / other one's that i can't remember off the cuff... ?

Offline flames

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online
  • $ cat /dev/urandom | hd
    • Fur Affinity
    • Hokaze's Place
    • Awards
  • Currently: Alive...
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2010, 09:15:17 PM »
mmmm.  I guess the next thing then, is what are people's views on GNOME / KDE / other one's that i can't remember off the cuff... ?
So Desktop Environments and Window Managers? So let's see...for the DE's we have GNOME, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, E16, and E17. And for the WM's there are far more than I could possibly list but let's just list some of the better known standalone managers: Openbox, Fluxbox, Blackbox, Icewm, Window Maker, flwm, pekwm, Afterstep, jwm, dwm and awesome. Plenty of choice, considering I listed only a fraction.
As for me, I prefer GNOME to KDE generally speaking although I started off with KDE and these days I'd say that I dislike the direction both of them are going in. I prefer "classic" GNOME to the new Gnome Shell and social stuff and KDE 4 is shiny but oddly enough feels like it needs a lot more polish. XFCE's a bit meh and often ruined on Ubuntu-based distros by bringing in too much Gnome stuff while LXDE is still a bit too young, but a nice, very lightweight solution. E16 was definitely good for it's time but these days Enlightenment lovers will be more prone to using E17 in all it's in-development glory. E17 was always too unstable for me and I had lots of problems with it but when it did work for me and I got to customise it a bit...definitely a beautiful setup unlike any other I've used with a very unique taste to how it handles things.
These days I go for a simple, minimal setup using Openbox as my window manager + tint2 to act as my panel, without any loss of functionality thanks to a lot of programs from Gnome, a few light-weight alternatives from XFCE and LXDE and a few QT/KDE apps (like the old 1.4x series of Amarok). My setup has gradually become less and less "user-friendly" but it's not supposed to be friendly to other users as I'm the only one who should be using my account and this setup so as long as I'm happy with it then it's all I need.
The farewell was premature. My definite stay is not definite. The constants are variable. The greeting was too late.

Offline Garth

• Teh awesome! n.n
  • Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 09:09:21 AM »
mmmmm, sounds again like another thing that i'll just have to investigate, and see how it all goes.  In many ways i can see that i'll end up just finding one and then just sticking with it for a bit unless it really grinds.  I'll probably end up looking for a more complete package, like the main distros offer, and then see about tweaking things and customising it all.

Offline Garth

• Teh awesome! n.n
  • Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2010, 06:39:43 PM »
Having said that, i've just found this:  http://lifehacker.com/5619064/  which may make people a little more favourable to Linux if it looks like something familiar, ie. Windows

Also, for those of you already using Linux, here's a list of fun things you can do in the Terminal, and how to do useful tasks with it too, instead of relying on more bloaty programs:  http://lifehacker.com/5622340/who-needs-a-mouse-learn-to-use-the-command-line-for-almost-anything