The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Looking for a laptop  (Read 1767 times)

Offline AirRaiser

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • It's AR for short
    • Peanutbutter & Sandwhich
    • Awards
  • Species: Feline Gargoyle
  • Coloring: Black with white streaks
  • Height: 5'8
  • Weight: 175lbs
  • Build: Femine
Looking for a laptop
« on: September 08, 2010, 04:13:40 PM »
Okay so I've been thinking of getting one of those small laptops, it's cheaper and would be easy to take with me to cons and such. Down side is I'd like to use photoshop on it. My question is would it be possible to get one install photoshop on an external HD and still be able to use it properly? Or should I just go with another normal laptop?

I still use my old Dell, No Monitor (uses my desktop one as an external) has one working USB port, CD drive is choppy, has no battery (buying a new one is out of the question, review for a replacement were horrid. And it's way over priced.) and if the plug moves a bit it turns off. Still works through!
Currently using an HP, it hasn't been a year, battery lasts 30seconds unplugged, over heats like crazy, CD drive is iffy at best, and the touch pad is overly sensitive while the buttons are stupid I cram those things down and still they do nothing. I use an external mouse to fix that issue.

Anyone have any suggestion? I have looked at Tablet laptops but reviews on them have been iffy. Some say they are great, but can break easily. I'm not a hard core gamer, and I'd be paying for this out of my own pocket. If all else fails I may go with dell again since that thing is still going, even if it has massive issues and is a giant paper weight.

::::
Commissions are OPEN
::::

"I do not conform to popular stupidity"
"TURBO FAT" - Shoebox

Offline Crevan Fox

• Kuddly Kitten
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • The Neon Arctic Foxy
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Fox
  • Coloring: Neon Green (On feet, paws, both ears, tip of tail and stomach), White (Everywhere else). All green parts are togglable bioluminescent
  • Height: Anthro: 1.85 m; Feral: 25 cm
  • Weight: Anthro: 82 kg; Feral: 3.5 kg
  • Build: Fluffy
  • Reference: [link]
Re: Looking for a laptop
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 08:49:37 PM »
WHATEVER YOU DO DONT BUY A HP

Offline Tweak

• Technical Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards Received through special limited time events This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug
  • Rawr and such like.
    • Discord
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Black, gold and purple
  • Height: Varies
  • Weight: Varies
  • Build: Dragon-y
  • Currently: Bleh.
Re: Looking for a laptop
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 09:06:07 PM »
Amazing advice there. HP are perfectly decent, although I prefer Dell myself.

Okay so I've been thinking of getting one of those small laptops, it's cheaper and would be easy to take with me to cons and such. Down side is I'd like to use photoshop on it. My question is would it be possible to get one install photoshop on an external HD and still be able to use it properly? Or should I just go with another normal laptop?

Photoshop will run fine from an external hard drive. There may be some files on the internal drive plus the registry entries will exist but you can run most things from an external drive (I have for games, programs, etc).

I still use my old Dell, No Monitor (uses my desktop one as an external) has one working USB port, CD drive is choppy, has no battery (buying a new one is out of the question, review for a replacement were horrid. And it's way over priced.) and if the plug moves a bit it turns off. Still works through!
Currently using an HP, it hasn't been a year, battery lasts 30seconds unplugged, over heats like crazy, CD drive is iffy at best, and the touch pad is overly sensitive while the buttons are stupid I cram those things down and still they do nothing. I use an external mouse to fix that issue.

Batteries are generally very expensive from Dell, you can get them cheaper if you know where to look though. HP are generally pretty good but they are primarily hardware manufacturers, if you want the price of a HP it's worth going with Compaq, they are owned by HP but have better reliability and customer support.

Anyone have any suggestion? I have looked at Tablet laptops but reviews on them have been iffy. Some say they are great, but can break easily. I'm not a hard core gamer, and I'd be paying for this out of my own pocket. If all else fails I may go with dell again since that thing is still going, even if it has massive issues and is a giant paper weight.

Tablet computers are still a little iffy as they are still under development and the good ones (such as the iPad) are hugely expensive. Going with a netbook as you said would be fine for what you are doing, the Asus ones are meant to be good and they are usually a good enough spec to handle Photoshop. Main issue is the keyboard but that's most likely my big, clumsy fingers!