The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Daylight Saving Time  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Crevan Fox

• Kuddly Kitten
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • The Neon Arctic Foxy
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Fox
  • Coloring: Neon Green (On feet, paws, both ears, tip of tail and stomach), White (Everywhere else). All green parts are togglable bioluminescent
  • Height: Anthro: 1.85 m; Feral: 25 cm
  • Weight: Anthro: 82 kg; Feral: 3.5 kg
  • Build: Fluffy
  • Reference: [link]
Daylight Saving Time
« on: August 15, 2010, 06:56:59 PM »
So what are your views, I personally think that the UK should just stop doing what the EU does and be there own country so i think we should keep it.

Offline flames

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online
  • $ cat /dev/urandom | hd
    • Fur Affinity
    • Hokaze's Place
    • Awards
  • Currently: Alive...
Re: Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 07:11:47 PM »
Agreed. Just because we're a part of the EU doesn't mean we should adopt all their policies ourselves. The problem with the EU is that when you've trying to regulate such a massive variety of countries with very different ways of life, average incomes, fluctuations in the economy, etc it doesn't make sense to apply the same policies everywhere as each individual country functions differently and a slight change for positive effect in France or Germany may end up crippling say, Italy.
That and we're the UK. We're British, we used to own a good chunk of the globe and once upon a time we were a force to be reckoned with. These days we may just be a collection of islands (a big one, a smaller one and lots of tiny ones) to the rest of the world and little good comes from us any more but heck if we're going to surrender or independence after our long history.

Plus, getting rid of Daylight Savings is just...well, it doesn't make much sense. Regardless of any supposed benefits that come from standardising EU countries like this, the fact of that matter is that (in its modern incarnation) it's been around for just over a century, it's something generations have grown up with and the UK still has a lot of people who benefit from it. It increases the daylight hours most of us receive, making it pleasant for some and near-essential for some workers in order to get the same output.
The farewell was premature. My definite stay is not definite. The constants are variable. The greeting was too late.

Offline Crevan Fox

• Kuddly Kitten
  • The Neon Arctic Foxy
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Neon Green (On feet, paws, both ears, tip of tail and stomach), White (Everywhere else). All green parts are togglable bioluminescent
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 07:14:45 PM »
Exactly, well put flames

They used to say the sun never set on the British empire, Another the EU wants to do is remove the British Pounds and replace it with the Euro

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster This user has donated to the forum more than once.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 08:49:46 PM »
Frankly I think all this "We are British, Ra Ra Ra" patriotism is useless and silly. Yes there used to be a british empire, yes it was very big, yes it used to be a very powerful force.
hey used to say the sun never set on the British empire
They also used to say "GET THE HELL OUT OF MY COUNTRY!"

But then, what on earth has that got to do with today? Nothing. What has it got to do with daylight savings time? Nothing. What has it got to do with taking on EU policies? Nothing. The only thing that matters about daylight savings time is how it affects those whose lives are affected by the sun in the sky.

How I see it, is that this affects farmers, and schoolchildren. Farmers work by the sun, schoolchildren shouldn't be out when it's dark. That's plenty of reason to keep daylight savings time.

Another the EU wants to do is remove the British Pounds and replace it with the Euro
Oh heaven forbid, they get rid of a massively more expensive currency that makes it unattractive for anyone wanting to buy stuff made in britain. Heaven forbid, we take on a currency that is well on its way to becoming the dominant currency of trade in the world. Granted, the pound allows us to buy things from other countries relatively cheaply... maybe that's why we barely export anything, and import everything.

But there's one thing annoying me (the previous paragraphs were me being animated about politics.)... The one thing annoying me is that... out of all the contraversial decisions made by this most atrocious of governments... why are you singling out this one?

Why not single out the decision to remove the cap from University Student fees, making sure that our one good commodity (intelligent and skilled workers) is cut in half. Do we really want universities to go back to being the realm of the super rich, landed gentry? leaving the poorer classes to be stuck in a dead end?
What about the decision whereby if anyone is caught illegally downloading more than 3 times, then they lose their internet, despite such a system being very hard to police, leading to miscarrages of justice.
and hey, what about that budget, saving the rich and damning the poor.
not to mention the games industry tax breaks or lack thereof.

Daylight savings is a small fry issue
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline Crevan Fox

• Kuddly Kitten
  • The Neon Arctic Foxy
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 08:53:54 PM »
Frankly I think all this "We are British, Ra Ra Ra" patriotism is useless and silly. Yes there used to be a british empire, yes it was very big, yes it used to be a very powerful force.
hey used to say the sun never set on the British empire
They also used to say "GET THE HELL OUT OF MY COUNTRY!"

But then, what on earth has that got to do with today? Nothing. What has it got to do with daylight savings time? Nothing. What has it got to do with taking on EU policies? Nothing. The only thing that matters about daylight savings time is how it affects those whose lives are affected by the sun in the sky.

How I see it, is that this affects farmers, and schoolchildren. Farmers work by the sun, schoolchildren shouldn't be out when it's dark. That's plenty of reason to keep daylight savings time.

Another the EU wants to do is remove the British Pounds and replace it with the Euro
Oh heaven forbid, they get rid of a massively more expensive currency that makes it unattractive for anyone wanting to buy stuff made in britain. Heaven forbid, we take on a currency that is well on its way to becoming the dominant currency of trade in the world. Granted, the pound allows us to buy things from other countries relatively cheaply... maybe that's why we barely export anything, and import everything.

But there's one thing annoying me (the previous paragraphs were me being animated about politics.)... The one thing annoying me is that... out of all the contraversial decisions made by this most atrocious of governments... why are you singling out this one?

Why not single out the decision to remove the cap from University Student fees, making sure that our one good commodity (intelligent and skilled workers) is cut in half. Do we really want universities to go back to being the realm of the super rich, landed gentry? leaving the poorer classes to be stuck in a dead end?
What about the decision whereby if anyone is caught illegally downloading more than 3 times, then they lose their internet, despite such a system being very hard to police, leading to miscarrages of justice.
and hey, what about that budget, saving the rich and damning the poor.
not to mention the games industry tax breaks or lack thereof.

Daylight savings is a small fry issue

I was only singling out that one cause there is so much to say, Ever since Tony Blair left this country has crashed and burned

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Received through special limited time events This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Currently: Healed up
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 09:24:10 PM »
Another reason to stay put in the US, the whole idea of removing this seems to be ridiculous.
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline Crevan Fox

• Kuddly Kitten
  • The Neon Arctic Foxy
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 09:32:56 PM »
Yes, very white. That is also another reanson for me to visit Oman more

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster This user has donated to the forum more than once.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 09:35:54 PM »
It was hardly that great during the Tony Blair years, and it was actually those years where the great recession that we are in the middle of, was being constructed.
Plus, getting the country into two wars, one of which was stepped into with false evidence. Wars that show little sign of definitive victory for the forseeable future. Wars that got a million people marching in london in protest, which was then summarily ignored, which did nothing for the feeling that this was no longer a democratic country where public opinion mattered, leading more and more people to feel that the government simply will not listen. And I'm pretty sure that radicalised a good few university students.
Not to mention the government supporting and aiding in the act of rendition and extreme torture
Throwing money at the NHS when what it really needs is proper organisation,
Putting in place the Speed camera scheme which is now being dismantled because of how little it helps road safety.
Putting in place more security cameras than ever before.
Using the BBC to lie to the populace through altered translations of speeches by foreign figures, as well as insults and attacks on foreign figures, some of whom had died not minutes before.

Plus there were and still are the most horrendous anti-terrorism laws that allow for phone tapping without evidence, arrests without evidence, holding a suspect for 42 days with no evidence and no charge.

Granted, the labour government did some good things. The Education sector did get a lot more support for one. They were a lot better than this government we have now (who are a nightmare in my opinion). But it wasn't good. There's a reason the amount of people voting has been dropping for decades now, going lower than even Weimar Germany ever did. People thought "Tony Blair? David Cameron? What's the difference? There's no party for me, that has a chance of winning." But then everyone saw the lib dems and thought "Hey, those guys are slightly different, we'll try them." And then it turned out that we ended up with a Tory government anyway. A terrible Tory government at that.

Flippin' heck this is depressing :P

Again, my ranting isn't aimed at anyone, it's just ranting. I've hated these past governments.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Offline Vosur Aekira

• Old Wolf of the Sprites.
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 10 Most Online Top 10 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Currently: Exhausted
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 09:42:34 PM »
Keep the topic civil. It is on whether we should keep Daylights Savings Time or get rid of it.

• Unique Unicorn
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 09:50:09 PM »
Fair enough, I say it's a bad idea, but also that there are good reasons why it would be a good idea.

Offline Crevan Fox

• Kuddly Kitten
  • The Neon Arctic Foxy
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 09:53:12 PM »
I agree Asia, i don't want to be part of the EU though

Offline Harlequin_Felis

• Avid Aardvark
  • Token "delusions of comedy" kitty
    • Black Cat Media
    • Awards
  • Species: Domestic Feline
  • Height: 5'7
  • Weight: 148
  • Build: Slim
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 01:52:43 AM »
Too bad. You're already a citizen of the State of Europe, you just haven't been asked enough times to cave in and agree to it yet :P

That said... If there was a sensible reason to get rid of DST, I wouldn't mind so much - sure it'd take some getting used to, but if it's just because some idjit in Brussels says to toe the line with the rest of the continent, then why the hell should we?

What is the official line on why, anyway?

Resident voice acting cat.

Offline Buddywolf

• Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Most Online
  • Otterly Delicious!
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Currently: I am going back to places I once visited frequently! For a short time :D
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 01:59:46 AM »
I am unsure.  If we got rid of it, it would either create confusion or get rid of confusion.  If we keep it how it is, the current confusion would not change and organization will stay in order.
Yeeeah! flyin through space and time!

Offline Takarah Luna

• Dorky Therian Chick
  • Chatty Cheetah
  • Just me... Plain and simple...
    • Awards
  • Species: plain 'ol wolf
  • Coloring: black and silver with a rainbow striped tail
  • Height: Five feet, ten inches
  • Weight: 130lbs
  • Build: Medium to skinny-ish and tall
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 03:00:03 AM »
I could honesly care less... But I happen to detest poising an hour of sleep for a week every six months...

Post Merge: August 16, 2010, 03:01:15 AM
 Epic typo... I meant losing an hour of sleep...
Proud wolf therian and furry!!!
My DA= http://pistolvaunwulf.deviantart.com/

"IMMA FIRIN MY LAZAR!!! BLAAAAAARRGH!!!"
-the lazer collection (best youtube video(s) ever!)

Offline iKero-chu™

• Ferrachulicious
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 10 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • Chu~ :'3
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Hot Dumpster (Ferret/Pikachu/Corgi)
  • Build: Thicc
  • Currently: god left me unfinished
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 02:51:24 PM »
Seems like a bad idea.

|:
(/\       /\)
(`o・ ω ・o´)
Chuuu~
Comission Info
Furcode