The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Real Tails? Faux Tails?  (Read 3443 times)

Offline ___

• Origami Guru
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
Real Tails? Faux Tails?
« on: July 08, 2010, 09:38:43 PM »
So in the Tails topic, people have been talking about buying taxidermed fox tails, and so I wanna know what you think (And keep the other thread on topic)

Well, I think it all depends on how its done. I'm very against hunting, and killing animals for fashion puropses, but some people find animals killed on the road and taxidarm that. My kudos go to those people because I don't think their death should go to waste, and left alone, they'd just decompose (And it must be hard to work with them squished like that).

As for me, I wouldn't buy a real animal tail either way because I wouldn't know whether they did it in a way that I approved of (They could say anything about how they got it)

Nothing at all wrong with faux fur (Pronounced "fou" not "fox")

Offline Righteousbro

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Ekuamahtava
  • Species: Tiger/kitteh
  • Coloring: White and black
  • Height: 6 ft
  • Weight: 150 lbs
Re: Real Tails? Faux Tails?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 09:52:46 PM »
I'd definitely have faux. Like you, I wouldn't want to think that most likely it was killed in a slaughterhouse.
And anyway, I don't see what the big difference is other than the fact that the real tail would be expensive and slightly more fashionable, and I don't really care how fashionable something is as long as I like it  ^_^

Offline Ares the Ram

• Diamond in the rough
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 03:38:10 PM »
i say, s'long as they go out and hunt/kill/skin/taxiderm it themselves, its fine. buying real from a store, not fine.  :(

FoXTAlL

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 04:15:39 AM »
(I know I`'m late but I really wanted to get in on this discussion)

Well it seems that I stick out like an unbroken arm in a Steaven Seagal movie here, I do own and wear a real fox tail. However, I do understand the point all of you are making, which is why I asked the vendor they said that they get their tails from coat factories that were getting rid of them (as in land-fill) so I figured that it was ok. I wouldn't buy a tail if the animal had been killed for the sole reason of someone wanting a tail. So am I ok?

Offline juut

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 02:02:19 PM »
I do have fox tails here, bought before I realized they probably came form cage bred foxes but I won't buy any more. These will stay though, throwing them out would make their deaths even more pointless.

Aside from that, I don't have problems with using real fur when it's from animals slaughtered for their meat. Like it or not, they will be killed, unless the whole world follows my example and goes veggie, and we'd better use every last part of them if we are so damn sure we have a right to kill them.

I myself skin and tan any roadkill I find, everyone I know collects dead animals for me  :P, the best way to get fur if you ask me. The compost heap here if full of hares and birds that found their end on the road.

Offline Morticia

• Vibrating Furby
  • COLLECT AND SUBMIT.
    • Morticia's FurAffinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Virginia Opossum
  • Coloring: Black/Gray/White
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 185lbs
  • Build: Chubby
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 04:38:11 PM »
I bought two tails from a dealer at Anime Punch '09. I do believe they might be dyed fox fur-- s'what it feels like to me though I can't say. All I know is that they're real fur and I love wearing them.

I've always been a HUGE fan of taxidermy and fur coats, hats, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love animals with all my heart but I also love the art form. Death brings about a beautiful piece of art-- though I suppose this is how one views it. Being from an area where hunting is commonplace and living in the woods surrounded by animals my whole life, I've collected bits of roadkill and the like and made little trinkets out of them.

Just my opinion. :)
--Quoth The Opossum

Offline Birlioz

• Vibrating Furby
  • Craft Keeper
    • Awards
  • Species: Silver Fox
  • Coloring: Black, deep grey, and light grey/sometimes I am slightly teal
  • Height: Quad, so around 1.5 feet
  • Build: Fluffy, yet satisfying
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 05:09:36 PM »
I feel the same way.

I am not against fur or leather or any type of animal-made thing, but I cannot buy fur without feeling guilty that this animal was /possibly/ cruelly treated. Even if it was found on the side of the road, there in no way is a surefire way to tell if it was cruelly treated or humanely euthanized, or found.

So I stick to fake stuff now, but that doesn't entirely stop me from buying leather. Most leathers come from deer and other animals that are normally just shot, so I have less of a guilt trip. And my boyfriend works in a leather shop, I'm at the Renaissance Faire all day long... leather becomes a sort of necessity/common sight. Yes, I own a fox pelt, but it's for art studies. Yes, I used to buy tails, but I gave them all away and started making my own out of yarn, so that I can get the realistic look of tails but still be eco friendly.
I be new, here.
Ask me about realistic yarn tails. : 3

Offline ZergDaeva

• Avid Aardvark
  • I steal your shiny!!!!
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Leptailurus Serval (Serval)
  • Coloring: White coat, pink nose, blue eyes, black tipped ears and tail
  • Height: 5' 4"
  • Weight: 115 lbs.
  • Build: Athletic
  • Currently: Video Blogging!
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 10:30:07 PM »
I would go for faux.  I think if you told most people you were wearing a real tail, they might be like "ugh... what?"  If you love to be your character, than don't support harm to your fellow foxes.  I'm a PETA person, and you don't want to know where a lot of fur comes from...
  • Signature art by: Avatar by:Dakarai

Offline Morticia

• Vibrating Furby
  • COLLECT AND SUBMIT.
    • Morticia's FurAffinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Virginia Opossum
  • Coloring: Black/Gray/White
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 185lbs
  • Build: Chubby
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 02:37:45 AM »
I would go for faux.  I think if you told most people you were wearing a real tail, they might be like "ugh... what?"  If you love to be your character, than don't support harm to your fellow foxes.  I'm a PETA person, and you don't want to know where a lot of fur comes from...

LOL PETA.

As if they're any better. They're a crazy lobbyist party that harms animals for their own profit. :C
--Quoth The Opossum

Offline ZergDaeva

• Avid Aardvark
  • I steal your shiny!!!!
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Leptailurus Serval (Serval)
  • Coloring: White coat, pink nose, blue eyes, black tipped ears and tail
  • Height: 5' 4"
  • Weight: 115 lbs.
  • Build: Athletic
  • Currently: Video Blogging!
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 11:27:34 PM »

LOL PETA.

As if they're any better. They're a crazy lobbyist party that harms animals for their own profit. :C

Really?  Wow... I had no idea they were so messed up.  Not to bad a resource for Vegan info though.
  • Signature art by: Avatar by:Dakarai