The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Tail?  (Read 6864 times)

Offline Switch

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Half-wolf, half-raccoon
  • Coloring: Gray, w. violet accents
  • Height: 6'4"
  • Build: Slender
Tail?
« on: July 03, 2010, 01:08:35 AM »
Anybody know of a good place to get a tail? if there is a walk-in store in the NW that would be AWESOME but online is cool.

Also, on a side note, any tips for creating a fursona?? :3
Woof Woof Baby

"Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everyone I've ever known."
— Chuck Palahniuk

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Healed up
Re: Tail?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 01:19:43 AM »
Personally I just chose what sounded good to me for my fursona, wolf + dragon = wolgon = *flap flap woof woof*
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline Tyla

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 10 Poster Top 50 Most Online
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 02:00:06 AM »
The best advice I can give is: Get in contact with a commissioner of some sort, or if you know someone who deals with crafts, ask them for advice and give the whole making stuff a shot yourself. Cost though? You're on your own there I think - from what I remember of following my friends around Manchesters' craft shops, it's not necesarily the most cheap stuff, and that's even for the fun fur - discounting things like thread, sewing machine and stuffing that you may use. So yeah, just have a look around at crafts shops, the basic uh... "template" for a tail is pretty much a tube of fur stuffed and sewn from the end to the base (where it will hook onto a belt), where you should have two straps (Yup, sewn on), one for either side of the back belt loop. I'd suggest ribbon for that though, much cheaper, much easier to come by. If you have access to supplies at school, for example however, I suggest talking to them, try to get some stuff - I'm sure there will be some elasticated nylon hanging around, but I wouldn't use anything with a width more than 15cm.

Now, that's all for a furry tail though (Or, if you're looking at scaley, felt would look a bit better in that area), and a basic shape and possibly a single colour - I'd say, if you've got the supplies handy, or if you've got the spare cash, experiment and have fun with it, keep messing around with it and perhaps even make a hobby of it!

With fursona... go with whatever - it all depends on you. What do you think resembles you? What do you feel close to? What do you think is cool, majestic, cute, inspiring? I could put a ton of descriptive words in there, and I could go on about looking at yourself and thinking, "What do I see myself closer to?" and all that, but again - it all depends on you. You should set your own reasons for finding fursona, or your fursonas.

Offline Switch

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 03:35:57 AM »
Interesting. I hadn't thought of crafting one myself. It certainly would be more fun, albeit ghetto-fabulous, but totally worth a shot. Thanks for the tip! Hopefully that will keep my hands busy this summer.

As for my fursona, thank you. I'm just tired of people trying to tell me what they think I am vs. what I feel I relate to. Cool beans :3
Woof Woof Baby

"Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everyone I've ever known."
— Chuck Palahniuk

Offline Self-sain

• The Unlikely Love
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
  • black and white isn't to bad
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Foat (Bat/Fox)
  • Coloring: purpule
  • Height: 5'7
  • Weight: 112
  • Build: thin some tone
  • Currently: Done with everything
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 05:59:41 PM »
Pawstar.com would be a good place, I got a hat from them but it was at a convention so you would just have to check what conventions they go to or go online
if you ever want to see Lil Johny again...
YOU WILL LOOK D:<

Offline Vosur Aekira

• Old Wolf of the Sprites.
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Top 10 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Currently: Exhausted
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 07:10:29 PM »
Other than who has been listed so far, I know of someone who could use someone to commission her since she makes tails, ears, ect.

http://www.furaffinity.net/journal/1523069/ is where to go for her if you want to see what she's up to.

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 11:14:11 PM »
Hmm, I made my tail myself, not really too hard if you got a good sewing machine and know of somewhere where u can buy some fake fur :3
Otherwise, your best option would be to look online, i any sites but sain mentioned pawstar, and im sure there are plenty of other good sites too.

For the fursona, first decide your species, myself, a fox was by some reason a obvious choice, dunno why but it just felt right for me. Then when you've chosen your species, just take some time to side teh coloring, age, how big/small it is and personality etc... easiest way, for me atleast, was to think of what i would look like and be if i was a fox. Then you only need a name for your sona, this is probably the easiest to decide, common names are the furs own name, something that can refer to the species or the fursona or just the name of the species mixed with something fancy or something that explains something about the fursona. Many people also use the first good name that comes to their mind.
Well, you are free to choose whatever name you like.
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Switch

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 01:14:10 AM »
Updated! it's an improvement until my means increase :D

I just found a sweet jacket at goodwill which would look AWESOME with some sewn-on ears and a tail!
Woof Woof Baby

— Chuck Palahniuk

Offline TrinityWolfess

• Chatty Cheetah
  • Trinity
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic White Wolf
  • Coloring: All white with light green eyes
  • Height: average
  • Weight: 115lbs
  • Build: thin
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 02:00:41 AM »
there was this online store... I think StarPaws.com or something like that and they had some tails... I didnt really like them but it was more of a raver furry store
Aaaarrooooooo!!!!!

Offline Ookami Kokoro

• Avid Aardvark
  • Avi edited by ShadoWolf800
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Black and gray with white underside and various white markings on face
  • Weight: 180
  • Build: Average
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 07:04:15 AM »
i got mine off ebay.

It's an actual taxidermied silver fox tail.

Offline Seko

• Boisterous Bear
  • (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
    • Awards
  • Species: Red Panda
  • Coloring: Blue eyes, default red panda colours
  • Height: 5'11
  • Weight: 70kg
  • Build: Average with massive hands
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 09:36:15 AM »
 :'( as in a real deceased fox tail?

nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! damn the russian fur trade!

Offline ___

• Origami Guru
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 06:25:47 PM »
Some people actually take foxes or other animals killed by cars and use their fur. I support this, because at least part of them dosn't go to waste.

Offline Self-sain

• The Unlikely Love
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
  • black and white isn't to bad
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Foat (Bat/Fox)
  • Coloring: purpule
  • Weight: 112
  • Build: thin some tone
  • Currently: Done with everything
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 07:06:36 PM »
I'm half way for this because is there is a big demand for it some people might "accidentally" kill one, but I'm for the natural death anduse of the fur thing
if you ever want to see Lil Johny again...
YOU WILL LOOK D:<

Offline ___

• Origami Guru
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 07:13:12 PM »
Yea, there's that possibility too.
I'm against fur for the most part, but if you get the tails from a person that's garenteed legit for not killing them, then I don't want the little thing's death to be for nothing.

Offline Tyla

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 10 Poster Top 50 Most Online
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 10:09:26 PM »
*Puts paws up for the "Usage"*

I feel that it's more... disrespectful when a body is left to rot as opposed to using as much as it as possible.