The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Furry musicians?  (Read 6027 times)

Offline Switch

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Half-wolf, half-raccoon
  • Coloring: Gray, w. violet accents
  • Height: 6'4"
  • Build: Slender
Re: Furry musicians?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 01:10:39 AM »
That's right. A quick google search shows it as a way to hold two mallets in one hand (so four in all) while playing vibes/marimba.
Woof Woof Baby

"Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everyone I've ever known."
— Chuck Palahniuk

Offline josh_down

• Dancing Dragon
    • Awards
  • Species: Herbivorous Lion
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 01:32:00 AM »
was gary burton really the first person to do that? i could swear i've watched vids of milt jackson in the 40s and 50s doing it. i'd have thought it'd date back centuries.
The further on I go, all the less i know.
I can't find...
only us, breathing;
only us, sleeping;
only us, dreaming;
only us

Offline FelixFox

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Fox
  • Coloring: White
  • Height: 6' 2"
  • Weight: 150 lbs
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 02:29:26 AM »
There are multiple ways to old 2 mallets in each hand, the most common is the Stevens grip, the one I use mostly. A bit more advanced, but much easier to control once each mallet. The Burton grip is good for vibes because you can get a lot of power out of each stroke, It was made for cords. They both have pros and cons.

Offline josh_down

• Dancing Dragon
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 10:18:52 AM »
i have been told! man i wish there were specific names for different styles of saxophone embouchure. i don't think it's possible to directly copy someone because everyone's mouth is set out differently... plus you can't actually see what they're doing on the inside
I can't find...
only us, breathing;
only us, sleeping;
only us, dreaming;
only us

Offline flames

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online
  • $ cat /dev/urandom | hd
    • Fur Affinity
    • Hokaze's Place
    • Awards
  • Currently: Alive...
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 10:48:56 AM »
and flames... i'l check your FA one day. learning an instrument will help with remixes and stuff, even if you never play the instrument live. if you still have your viola, give it a go again! just learn to play some simple-as melodies... you'll be amazed how much it helps.
Thanks. Unfortunately I never owned my viola so to speak, as it was one from school and I had to give it up when I moved from from my primary school to my secondary school just under 5 years ago. During the weekly music lessons we all took during the first few years of secondary school I did occasionally bring in some simplified video game music sheets and I'd try playing a few tunes if the lesson involved keyboards and whatever task we were doing allowed me to make use of the music I had.
I do occasionally use my laptop as a primitive keyboard, using my keys to replicate those of a piano and try playing randomly in real time but I don't do this very often.
The farewell was premature. My definite stay is not definite. The constants are variable. The greeting was too late.

Offline josh_down

• Dancing Dragon
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 02:32:13 PM »
and flames... i'l check your FA one day. learning an instrument will help with remixes and stuff, even if you never play the instrument live. if you still have your viola, give it a go again! just learn to play some simple-as melodies... you'll be amazed how much it helps.
Thanks. Unfortunately I never owned my viola so to speak, as it was one from school and I had to give it up when I moved from from my primary school to my secondary school just under 5 years ago. During the weekly music lessons we all took during the first few years of secondary school I did occasionally bring in some simplified video game music sheets and I'd try playing a few tunes if the lesson involved keyboards and whatever task we were doing allowed me to make use of the music I had.
I do occasionally use my laptop as a primitive keyboard, using my keys to replicate those of a piano and try playing randomly in real time but I don't do this very often.

playing the laptop keys was how i started out as a musician! only having one octave irritates me now, but at uni i have several grand pianos to choose from to compose on. if you still go to school now you could sneak into the music rooms when you've not got anything better to do and just muddle your way through stuff. of course, only if you haven't got anything better to do XD
I can't find...
only us, breathing;
only us, sleeping;
only us, dreaming;
only us

Offline flames

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online
    • Fur Affinity
    • Hokaze's Place
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 10:08:05 PM »
playing the laptop keys was how i started out as a musician! only having one octave irritates me now, but at uni i have several grand pianos to choose from to compose on. if you still go to school now you could sneak into the music rooms when you've not got anything better to do and just muddle your way through stuff. of course, only if you haven't got anything better to do XD
Eh, I've actually got two octaves as far as I can tell with the software I use and default keybindings. I'm not in school at the moment and as when I go back I'll be in 6th form/college I probably won't have much free time, plus I can't exactly just go into the music rooms >.<
Thanks anyway though.
The farewell was premature. My definite stay is not definite. The constants are variable. The greeting was too late.

Offline josh_down

• Dancing Dragon
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2010, 10:29:23 PM »
how does two octaves work? ... hmmm... i suppose you have 4 rows including the numbers... am i right in that respect? the software i use only supports one row
I can't find...
only us, breathing;
only us, sleeping;
only us, dreaming;
only us

Offline flames

• Melodious Mouse
    • Fur Affinity
    • Hokaze's Place
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
how does two octaves work? ... hmmm... i suppose you have 4 rows including the numbers... am i right in that respect? the software i use only supports one row
Yup, all the letters plus the number keys. I don't really play the laptop like that in real time though, especially as it's not one of the reasons why I use the software I do, seeing as I mostly use it to remix and compose using various editors rather than in real-time. I use LMMS by the way, the Linux MultiMedia Studio, which is open-source and free for Windows, OS X (may require more steps to install) and Linux.

Offline josh_down

• Dancing Dragon
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2010, 11:20:18 PM »
i've really gone off using DAW software to do my electronic stuff... i'm dead into aleatoric and algorithmic stuff, and so i use supercollider... freeware programming software with an in-build synth. when i do recording sessions and tings though, you can't code that kinda thing, so i use the university's pro-tools suits. i love pro-tools, i would buy it if i thought i'd ever actually use it. i use audacity to record my playing when i do so at home.
I can't find...
only us, breathing;
only us, sleeping;
only us, dreaming;
only us

Offline Switch

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: Half-wolf, half-raccoon
  • Coloring: Gray, w. violet accents
  • Height: 6'4"
  • Build: Slender
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2010, 11:30:38 PM »
Audacity is a really nice program, though I wish the interface had real-time DSP.

Can't even begin to think about Pro-tools/Logic yet. No point in getting top-notch software when my only mic is my laptop  :(  One day...
Woof Woof Baby

"Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everyone I've ever known."
— Chuck Palahniuk

Offline josh_down

• Dancing Dragon
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2010, 11:54:07 PM »
i love audacity... it's nowhere near what i'd call "decent software" but it's free and does it's job... plus it reads 32 bit float which my music software records in (for some stupid reason, logic can only ready up to 24 bit audio).
I can't find...
only us, breathing;
only us, sleeping;
only us, dreaming;
only us

Offline Cody Allen

• Avid Aardvark
  • Lone Wolf
    • My FA music
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Grey and white
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 180 lbs.
  • Build: Average build. Nothing special.
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010, 11:04:23 AM »
I've been known to dabble on the electronic side of things.

Couple samples of my work:
http://www.tunerooms.com/musician/LoneWolf

I have quite a few open projects. Writer's block stinks. :P

Offline Kodachi Devil

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Bunbun! Bunbun! Yes I am!
    • Awards
  • Species: Squirrel
  • Coloring: Brown Fur, BBrown Hair.
  • Height: 5'11&quot;
  • Weight: 119 lbs.
  • Build: Medium
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2010, 12:28:30 AM »
I play a few instruments.
Bass Clarinet, Clarinet, Keyboard/Piano (nearly the same, am I right?), I can play one song on bells (Koi No Mikuru Densetsu), and I'm looking into playing Trumpet. Or Bassoon.
I compose some music, but I can never get it just right.
I'm a devil, but I'm not bad most of the time. Okay I'm only bad some of the time. Okay maybe I'm bad all of the time. ;D

I heart Girls Generation! <3

Offline Laicey

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: Husky/Lab Puppy
  • Coloring: Red-Husky coloring. Red with white grey and some black.
  • Height: 5'8&quot;
  • Weight: Idk?
  • Build: Pudgy-Rolly Puppy like
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2010, 02:43:03 PM »
I'm a music junkie...

Not necessarily a musician though.

I played piano for years when I was younger, and I really miss it.  I just moved, so once I get settled into my new place I'm thinking of finding a cheap studio piano and putting it in my living room. (Though I'd rather have a real good electric piano, money is a problem lol!)  I dabbled in guitar and drums. I want to learn bass.  I am really into electronic music, though, and am currently working on projects in FLStudio.  I'm not great by any means, but I'm getting better with time and practice.  It's kind of one of my favorite things ever to do!   Before I moved, I had a recording studio at my house because my friend is a producer and rented out my upstairs, so I've been lucky enough to learn from him.  Sadly, now, I am all on my own.  Sounds like self-teaching from here on in. I LOVE running Traktor, though, and mixing other peoples music.  Especially at huge parties.  DJ Laicey, at your service. :P