The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Guitar-  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Aoren Deringer

• Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • When god closes a door, I plant a breaching charge
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: African Painted Dog
  • Coloring: Black, red and white.
  • Height: Standing: short. Sitting: Slightly... taller?
  • Weight: 97.000000000000017 Kg
  • Build: Medium build, muscular.
  • Currently: Working on the sweetest sciences
Guitar-
« on: November 27, 2010, 07:16:05 AM »
Well, I'm in the process of (hopefully) buying a used guitar, which will officially tap out all of my funds meaning I will need to take internet lessons, and use that dude who has those guitar lesson shows... But anyhow, this is my first time learning an instrument outside of a piano, and I wondered that, since I've heard a bit about a few of the people on here being players, if I could get any pointers..? :o
  • Avatar by: Myself, during an experiment with inversion.
"Science isn't about being conservative with your cash, it's about spending as much as you can as ridiculously as you can and hoping it doesn't explode."
- Sjin

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!
-Aoren Rekner Ilon Deringer, F.D.F. Mechanised Unit Commander, Four Stars.

Life is an adventure! Sure, you'll probably spend most of it weeping uncontrollably, and on fire, but hey!

Offline RedWolf "lucifer" Guevara

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • id laugh if u just... spontaiusly combusted
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf / hyena hybrid
  • Coloring: Red / grey
  • Build: skinney but adgaile
Re: Guitar-
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 10:04:33 AM »
this is what i was told when i bought my 1st guitar

1. only buy fender, squeir, cort (i got a cort) , gibson. all ther brands are poorly made
2. spend everything on the guitar itself, worry about cables, straps, amps later
3. get a chronomatic tuner with a moving needle, its the easyest to use
4. when trying to learn a song NEVER lose your temper if u cant get it right.

um...thats it i suppose, rock on my frend
"i do not care if i fall so long as someone picks up my gun and keeps shooting" -Ernesto "che" Guevara

Offline Self-sain

• The Unlikely Love
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
  • black and white isn't to bad
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Foat (Bat/Fox)
  • Coloring: purpule
  • Height: 5'7
  • Weight: 112
  • Build: thin some tone
  • Currently: Done with everything
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 03:53:38 PM »
Ibenz are good to .. just saying
if you ever want to see Lil Johny again...
YOU WILL LOOK D:<

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 03:59:10 PM »
ah yes and Ibenz
"i do not care if i fall so long as someone picks up my gun and keeps shooting" -Ernesto "che" Guevara

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 04:06:48 PM »
Gibson and Dean are a bit more expencive, but their good guitars too from my experience...
Proud to be a furry!

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 04:08:59 PM »
heres my cort (on the right)

Offline Aoren Deringer

• Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 09:55:52 PM »
this is what i was told when i bought my 1st guitar

1. only buy fender, squeir, cort (i got a cort) , gibson. all ther brands are poorly made
2. spend everything on the guitar itself, worry about cables, straps, amps later
3. get a chronomatic tuner with a moving needle, its the easyest to use
4. when trying to learn a song NEVER lose your temper if u cant get it right.

um...thats it i suppose, rock on my frend

Well, thanks man, looks like good info to me. Oh and your guitars are sick, btw.
"Science isn't about being conservative with your cash, it's about spending as much as you can as ridiculously as you can and hoping it doesn't explode."
- Sjin

Life is an adventure! Sure, you'll probably spend most of it weeping uncontrollably, and on fire, but hey!

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 10:19:59 PM »
good to be of service

Offline Moongaze

• The original fox hat
  • Eager Elephant
    • My soundclick page
    • Awards
  • Species: Red Fox
  • Coloring: Red/brown fur
  • Height: 5' 8" in anthro form. 3' 5" in feral form.
  • Weight: 130 lbs in anthro, 20 lbs in feral
  • Build: Sleak, athletic build
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 02:21:50 AM »
Ok, when learning guitar...

1. Don't worry so much about tone, yet.  Get the best value you can out of an extended dollar.  You can always trade/sell in used gear later.

2. Play... EVERYTHING.  You play the guitar, the guitar doesn't play you.  You should want to play an instrument that feels great in your hands.  If anything is too uncomfortable, don't buy it.  I had a very bad experience with a Schecter guitar.  It sounded incredible... but the neck was too thick, and I dumped near $900 on it.

3. Patience, patience, patience!  I cannot stress that enough.  Take everything slow, get the feel of fretting notes with each finger, become very familiar with chord shapes before moving on to chord transition.  The best advice I can give, buy a metronome.  Not only will it help you develop time and accuracy, but it allows you to progress at YOUR pace.

4. Under any circumstances, do not buy ANY effect pedals until you feel you are ready.  My first effect was overdrive, then I moved onto distortion.  I was a quick learner, however.  You may not find the same success.  So keep a steady pace.

5. It is fantastic, and I can't stress that enough, that you are buying a used guitar.  It is a very wise move.  You're getting a great 2nd hand guitar in great condition, and probably isn't half bad either.  When you are ready to upgrade, I suggest these brand/model series on a budget:

Fender: Made in Mexico Stratocaster's/Tele's - My take on MIM... great guitars for the price tag.  You get a lot for what you'd pay.
Schecter Guitars: C-1 Standard or C-1 Classic - My critique... Amazing guitars.  Solid body, great neck joint, fantastic pickups, nothing bad to say about Schecter.
Ibanez Guitars: RG series, SA Series.  RG series have some pretty solid guitars, but if you get really serious, I'd suggest getting a pickup swap.  As for the SA series, I have nothing bad to say about them.  Like Schecter, they are crafted in South Korea.  You'd think they're crap, but they aren't.  But don't take my word for it.  Play around for yourself.

If you haven't already, get an amp.  A cheap Fender 15G, or a Roland Cube should do.  I highly recommend the Roland Cube.  It gives you a very good idea of what different effects sound like without blowing hundreds of dollars on 10 different pedals.  But most importantly, it's small, gets the job done, and doesn't sound half bad for the cost.

Here is some crucial advice...  Depending on how far you get in a few months, or years...  The amp plays the biggest role in electric guitar tone.  You can have a $3200 PRS Custom 24, but a guitar is only going to sound as good as the amp it's played out of.  So... when you are ready to upgrade, test every amp that is available to you.  When you come across the winner, you'll know it.  And take YOUR guitar to test amps with, because if you play a random guitar, you won't get the same tone when you bring it home.  And you can either A: compensate, or B: be dissatisfied, and end up returning the amp; placing you back at square one.  So always use YOUR guitar, and trust me.  You'll know what amp to get, because it will just sound like home.

My closing thought...  Always keep an open mind.  Always discover things for yourself.  Me and others can give our thoughts and analysis on many things, but it all comes down to you in the end.

Offline Aoren Deringer

• Lovable Lion
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 02:34:23 AM »
Now that is what I call advice! Thanks, moon, and I suppose your right, amps are important. Bought a cheap-o one unfortunately  :/ But oh well. At the moment I'm just trying to avoid spending a grand on something that will fall apart.
- Sjin

Offline Moongaze

• The original fox hat
  • Eager Elephant
    • My soundclick page
    • Awards
  • Species: Red Fox
  • Coloring: Red/brown fur
  • Height: 5' 8" in anthro form. 3' 5" in feral form.
  • Weight: 130 lbs in anthro, 20 lbs in feral
  • Build: Sleak, athletic build
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 02:38:33 AM »
Yeah.  Right now it doesn't really matter.  Anything that can turn the guitar signal into sound will cut it.