The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: "schools"  (Read 3199 times)

Offline Timewilltell

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
"schools"
« on: May 15, 2010, 01:47:50 AM »
Before I start, this is my point of view on schools. Most of this is the way I see it through my eyes.

I feel that school is another distraction in the sea of life that we call "stability" for life. It basicly teaches you not to ask out side specific gidelines or go past them. They never want you to think "why are thses people asking me what the capital of ancient Rome?", they want you to think "what is the capital of ancient Rome?". They basicly make you mimic back an answer to a question. They don't ever say why they're asking you these stupid question, that have nothing to do with anything. Most thing tought in school are never used again. Take algebra for example. When is that ever going to be useful in life? I asked my dad, and he said that he has never used it.

Every morning, I struggle to get up. I do not want to wake up. This was largly my falt, because I always stay up very late, but the reason I don't want to go bed is because I knew, the second I woke up, I would be in a place I don't want to be, for the whole day. I find weekends as a sort of grace period between tourchers. I never want them to end. I always fear the end of Fridays, because after thwe next 2 days, I would be back in this hellhold.

So every day, I would be woke against me will by one of my perant, and be nagged to get out of bed. I role over and protend not to hear them. They then use "scare tactics" and say like "you're never going to get a job" and "no one will like you" and the usal crap like that. In my head, I would make conflict about "should I be the person everyone wants me to be or should I be who i am?", and almost always, I had to choose being what everyone wanted me to be. You see I, I only wanted to stay at home and screw around on the computer, learning what I wanted to learn.

So every day I drag my [removed] to school and by that time, I didn't give [removed] about anything anymore. I just sat there and lissen to the teachers yammer on about ethier things I don't give a [removed] about, or already knew. A little side story here. Once in year 8, I signed up for a class named "computers". I thought we were going to so fun stiff like programming and video making. Nope, instead we had to go all the way back to year 2 and learn how to type. Complite [removed].thanks to all the ignorent little [removed], we now have to learn how to type because of you. You've [removed] it up for people who want to learn.

I'm not sure if it's worth another year for a deploma. That's all there really is at the end of the rainbow. A tiny peace of pater saying your a little more worthful. If I pull out, I won't get this peace of paper. But just because I might not have it dosen't mean I'm worthless.

So... Yeah. I just did this because I want to hear your point of view on school nowadays. By the way, I'm typing this at about 2:45AM, so I'm sorry if anythings spelt wrong or anything dosen't make sence :3

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 02:41:44 AM by WingedZephyr, Reason: Foul language »

Offline Packedsnack

• Pigment Weaver
  • Avid Aardvark
  • I shape the way the cookie crumbles.
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Light grey with white underbelly
  • Weight: 55kg
  • Build: Lean
Re: "schools"
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 02:09:53 AM »
That's so familiar.

I agree with you on all counts. While I was going through my depression I was exactly the same. And probably still would be, had I not discovered myself. I'm not sure how exactly it happened, but even though school is still there I feel totally at peace.

So now I'm dedicated to helping people sort out their problems. I'll take it to PMs if you like.
I'm guessing the mystery girl is some kind of root vegetable.

Offline Timewilltell

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 02:14:21 AM »
I think I sorted out some problems, but i've been feeling this way since I was 9 about school :/

Offline AirRaiser

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • It's AR for short
    • Peanutbutter & Sandwhich
    • Awards
  • Species: Feline Gargoyle
  • Coloring: Black with white streaks
  • Height: 5'8
  • Weight: 175lbs
  • Build: Femine
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 03:34:28 AM »
SOMEthings taught in school are useful, but I swear most of the stuff they teach you or tell you 'YOU NEED TO KNOW THIS' is really just a waste of time. Sadly to get in to college, which does teach you useful things (depending on where you go) you need to have decent grades and scores to get in. So it's a necessary evil I guess, if you want to go to further education.

::::
Commissions are OPEN
::::

"I do not conform to popular stupidity"
"TURBO FAT" - Shoebox

Offline Timewilltell

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 03:49:28 AM »
I get good grades, and i guess it only for another half year. I just wanted to know what everyone elses point of view was :)

Offline Tyla

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 10 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 09:57:37 AM »
Passage into my life. GCSE = General Certificate of Secondary Education, just to say in advance...

Most of my schooling is useless. I have my English, my Maths, the two "must get" qualifications. I also have my ALAN, or Adult Literacy and Numeracy, which is more or less a second monument to English/Maths. Now I'm waiting for results, from both my Skill Force (Two GCSE's) and ICT (One), which'll equate to 6 GCSE's at level C and above, including ones that are very, very useful for the future. I have 11 exams over May and June, and I'll be honest, I'm going to fail most of them. Why I anticipate this? I never revise, I barely pay attention, and I simply don't care. As I said, I'm at what I need and I haven't started my finals properly - the only ones I intend to give my all, are science which'll get me to 8 GCSE's assuming everything goes to plan.

Now, on the anticipation again... two years. Two years. I have wasted most of my lessons that were set in stone. Why? I don't enjoy these lessons, I can't be motivated to learn, because I do not like to work academically, and it doesn't help that all of this "how do you learn best" and "we want to support learning" stuff isn't ideal to some of these teachers either. I have recently found that using my laptop to type out information is incredibly ideal - I get my work done faster, more efficiently, more understandable because my handwriting is junk, and overall? It's so much better for me! But no, some teachers disagree. Even if I offer to sit within their sight so they KNOW I'm not on games, it's a no. No matter how much I argue that it's my preferred way of learning, no. I know it's a bit of a jump forward, and I admire the attempts that these teachers make, but really - most of them can't do their job. Again on motivation, I'm commonly bullied and talked down in my school, despite the fact I tower over a lot of people, and I generally get negatively emotional easily. I tell a teacher, it's either "just ignore them", "do you know who they are?" or some other stupid excuse... well sorry, but if you can't keep a student motivated, their learning efficiency is decreased, and chances are that student will also suffer in the future based on it. I'd like to point out that ignoring a problem does not solve it - maybe if you done your job and undertaken a duty that you have been charged with, I'll be more motivated around you, I'll be glad to thank you, I'll respect you more... and for the other? I'm not going to ask them their names, take out a notepad and write them down for you, and I'm sure they won't be willing to tell me either.

Now, with some things, I understand why they're in school. I'm kind of intrigued by the look on life, "Ruled by numbers - every step you take, how many times your heart beats per minute, how many years old you are..." and I think you get the picture there. There's numbers involved in everything, and mathematics can serve you well, in general. With language skills? They can, too. Looking back, I'm actually a little disappointed that I didn't choose French as an option over History, as that would be greatly more useful to me than knowing who killed Archduke Franz Ferdinand in 1914.

More or less emphasising my view on the teachers I have, though... I had times where I would just say "I give up." on subjects. My History teacher was telling me that I couldn't do such a thing and REFUSED to take me off the course. 6 months later? She asks me why I'm so demotivated in class, and eventually says "Do you even care about History?". I say "no", I'm not going to lie - but then? She rants to me how I've wasted two years of my life studying it then, and she's going to talk to the achievement manager of the school to get me removed. Oh, and it'll cost me money to do so. Refuse to bring me out except for when I'm already in, and then have a go at me, even insisting on removing me and THEN telling me about the price of being withdrawn? Nice going, congratulations, you now have negative respect from me.

I have also had arguments. With the headteacher. About school rules. "You can't eat outside"... why? I've been doing it for 3 years in the exact same spot. "You were lucky"... For 3 years? Are you honestly that far from the knowledge I eat outside then? You're a bit of a joker of a headteacher, I don't know who I should criticise, the person above you or you yourself. "Can I see some paperwork or written evidence?"... I didn't recieve any, just a "Just follow the rule" - I am not following an inexistant rule, that you can't back up and you have the head teacher AND a deputy head to put me down with. Well you know what? It's not working. There's also me getting refused food, for wearing my hat indoors. I didn't take it off at all, because... it was stupid. I was going back outside the minute I had picked up a sausage roll. Great, deny a student food hmm? Perhaps I should starve myself for sinning against the school, oh no, a hat! I have also had it from other teachers... "You can't wear a leather jacket"... there were two people just walk past wear the exact same type of clothing. Yeah, thanks for your ignorance. That happened twice, second time with a denim jacket.

To finish, mum's opinion is "Just do it" now, and she is just plain irritated with my school to the point that, as opposed to my "viva la revolution" attitude, she gives in.

TL;DR? Teachers are incapable of doing their job, the way things are set out is stupid, how they deal with things is incomprehensable idiocy, and I am prepared to not back down because they make rules up against me. I feel sorry for the other students, then again, a lot of them get away with their laughs, but it's usually those ones that are the problem to me.

Offline Timewilltell

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 10:34:45 AM »
Schools never been perfect. There's alway one problem. I can't explane how much of my life has been pissed up the wall thanks to this crap. I learn more stuff screwing around on the computer for one day than I do at school for 1 week.

Just my perspective on the flawed school system that we currently force people to go to.

*** you, life.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 10:43:59 AM by Tweak, Reason: Please watch your language »

Offline Armalite_

• Shoots to Thrill
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
  • For the phony tough and the crazy brave.
    • Fur Affinity
    • My FA
    • Awards
  • Species: Spotted Hyena
  • Coloring: White, brown, charcoal, and green
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 200 lbs.
  • Build: Toned
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 05:24:51 AM »
Well...as you get older and get further into school, it turns from being very generalized (English, Math, Art) to more specific things (Graphic design, Studies in Literature, and Calculus/data management/advanced functions, etc.). The things you learn currently may seem useless in life but will not be useless during the rest of your time in school especially university/college. No, you probably won't need EVERYTHING but, dude, your only 14. Do you honestly know exactly what you're going to do for the rest of your life? For all you know, you'll end up as an architect. THEN here's where angles, algebra, and all the little "useless" things come in handy. The reason they teach you this stuff is because, unless you already planned your entire life out by the time your 13, you really have no idea what you need and what you won't.

I'm sorry but this is the way life is. If you can't do the work because "you're not motivated" or "you don't feel like it's important" then you will be surpassed by others in life and you will not succeed because Joe Blow and Charlie Chan have better grades and experience than you. I, personally, don't have an opinion on work. I don't care if I have to do it or not I just do as I am told/asked without any second thoughts...and it's done. I get my grade and I'm happy. I used to be lazy. I used to not wake up and go to bed at 2 in the morning on school nights and go to class while I was high. Didn't work. It shuts your body down. You become tired and mentally lazy affecting your attitude towards work ethic and learning. You get a bad attitude and that has mainly to do with your lack of confidence and the way you take care of yourself.

I'll say from my experience that I lost my ability to think "Oh this is too much work, I'm going to fail, and there isn't anything I can do about it so I'll give up." However, I never gained the ability to be excited or be motivated to work. I just...did it. You ask me how much work I have to do and I'll tell you. You ask me how I feel about doing it and I come up blank. I'm a man of no emotion. It's kind of sad I guess. I feel like I've lost my touch since the beginning of high school. Being in my last year, It's something I have to do but I just don't care about doing it. I want to go to university and leave this place forever. You give up now and your stuck there for as long as you like.

You kids get bullied, eh? Sorry, never had that happen to me. I guess I was too sketchy of an individual to approach and demand for my cash or attempt to hurt. I was a junkie with a history of violence...but one with good grades.

PS: Timewilltell, watch your language. This is a PG-13 forum with rules that you need to read and abide by. Failure to do so could result in consequences from the Admins.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 03:27:54 PM by Spike V. »

Offline Crazking

• Avid Aardvark
  • Kind but a little crazy.
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolgon
  • Coloring: White fur with black hair, paws, claws, inner-wings and tip of tail
  • Height: 184cm
  • Weight: 66kgs
  • Build: Not too muscular but not too weak XD
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 02:32:21 PM »
You just pretty much summed up my whole life thanks B)
Therian and otherkin I am of both
do as you will I do not care

90% of teens today would have a mental breakdown if Myspace crashed.  If you are in the 10% that would be laughing, copy this and paste it into your signature.

Offline Ninjalion

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: Lion
  • Coloring: Brown Mane not fully grown,Blue eyes that turn Yellow for an unknown reason, Sand Brown Fur
  • Height: 6"1
  • Weight: 180
  • Build: Athletic
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 09:05:50 PM »
I really looked forward to going to school, as much as I hated to wake up and thought of many schemes not to go that day. I thought it was pretty fun. When I became a sixth grader, I grew up with a verbally abusive step dad that would practically kill my self esteem. I went to school I didn't wanna deal with that guy, he was holding me from who I really was. Yeah I had a bully at the time, but I didn't mind him. Even if the teachers did nothing about it. I got jumped by allot of people, and I took quite a bit of whoopings that year. I got all C's that first semester and told myself I wasn't even trying, but my mom and step dad picked on me telling me how much of a failure I was. Now I was broken, I'm a self motivator. I didn't want to hear that.

7th grade I started out in Specal ED, for behavioral problems. Math was the only regular class I could do with the "Normal People" I got back to a regular schedule. Was great, I made honor roll twice. Then I slipped at the end of 7th grade, eighth grade I was a total trouble maker, even got a run in with the law. And got kicked out and had to finish it in a alternative school.

I came back in high school just to get expelled at the end of the year. Sophomore-junior years was in a Alternative ed school. I remember doing well my sophomore year, and kinda treated my Junior like I was going to dropout. Senior year I remember I was gonna take this year and graduate, no matter how far behind I really was. I even got arrested, and kicked outta the school. I managed to find an adult ed that let me take the G.E.D. Pretest, and I had a high score that I could take that test. Class of 09 I became.

Allot of those detentions, suspensions, and Expulsions where dumb on my part, but some of them where bad calls on the authorities part. That Diploma your going to get, get it. Because it signifies a chapter of your life is complete from my eyes. Yeah I got a G.E.D. but I'm class of 09, I can move on now. I don't have to mess with high school boys or girls (Never did since freshmen year btw.) And most importantly I can go to collage and invest my time in learning the passions I truly want to learn. Useless information? I could of learned how to play the piano in high school, or Marimba. Not useless information in my book.

Even though the teacher might suck, just show them that your a good student. Even if he or she complains about you, or gives you a hard time. Just remember "I'm gonna ace this test." Or "I'm gonna do great in this class." Maybe you'll find that the subject wasn't a waste at all. Maybe you'll think that its absolute rubbish. But it starts with you, and where you'll be.

Offline Righteousbro

• Eager Elephant
  • Ekuamahtava
  • Species: Tiger/kitteh
  • Coloring: White and black
  • Height: 6 ft
  • Weight: 150 lbs
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 01:58:48 AM »
What I want to understand is why grade school/high school teach you useless tidbits and want you to be programmed like everyone else and colleges want you to learn useful stuff and express your creativity.

Offline Moongaze

• The original fox hat
  • Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
    • My soundclick page
    • Awards
  • Species: Red Fox
  • Coloring: Red/brown fur
  • Height: 5' 8" in anthro form. 3' 5" in feral form.
  • Weight: 130 lbs in anthro, 20 lbs in feral
  • Build: Sleak, athletic build
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 04:52:18 PM »
I interpret this as...  Schools are trying to brainwash you.  No they're not.  Teachers are underpaid, and they are tasked with possibly the most important job in the world.  That is... teaching the youth to be successful.  Teachers are anything but politicians.  When you get into classes like sociology, or political sciences, you'll run into left and right conflict.

Anywho...  My point is, what you are being taught is to help you become well rounded.  History is taught for one basic reason...  So it doesn't repeat itself.  Geography is taught so you can find things on a map.  Math is taught so you can excel in things like arithmetic, sciences, and higher level mathematics.  English is taught so when you write a paper your grammar and spelling doesn't look like a mutilated cow on paper, and it helps proper speech to boot.

Lessons may seem useless, but hey... suck it up and push through it with the bet damn performance.  If you're sick of school now, what are going to be like a couple years from now?  Are you going to give up and drop out?  Or are you going to see it to the finish and that's the end of it?  You need to look at the world around you.  People are at each other throats (metaphorically) because everyone is competing for jobs because we all want the same things: money, success, a good place to live, material things to reflect how good we have it.  If you don't have a good education... you just wavered opportunity to everyone else, and that note alone, people will live the life you want.  You'll be stuck somewhere you don't want be.  Now is the time to take a stand and strive for the best, and be the best.  Don't drag your heels and dread.  Stand above everything.  You may not be the brightest amongst the other students, but that doesn't mean you're helpless to succeed.  Just do your best.  
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 05:09:38 PM by Moongaze »

Offline Righteousbro

• Eager Elephant
  • Ekuamahtava
  • Species: Tiger/kitteh
  • Coloring: White and black
  • Height: 6 ft
  • Weight: 150 lbs
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 07:56:13 PM »
You're right that history class is so it doesn't repeat itself but things like "The capital of ancient Rome" isn't going to help much. Learning mythology is fun but less useful. You're not going to need to know who Euclid was even though you need to know his geometry. The point is yes a lot of its useful but they butter it up with some useless stuff to make it seem much more important, but they fail because if you notice they do this but not fully like the original poster then you think school is fairly useless.

Offline Crazking

• Avid Aardvark
  • Kind but a little crazy.
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolgon
  • Coloring: White fur with black hair, paws, claws, inner-wings and tip of tail
  • Height: 184cm
  • Weight: 66kgs
  • Build: Not too muscular but not too weak XD
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 09:24:55 PM »
People think I'm a nerd but I actually hate the teachers I put up with it because I know that when you present yourself as an interesting student the teachers try to spend time on you and that means you are more inclined towards good grades and that makes it a whole lot less of an uphill struggle but it dosen't help when the rest of the class is just being soo crazy the teacher blows her cap and puts us all in for an half hour detention after school.
Therian and otherkin I am of both
do as you will I do not care

90% of teens today would have a mental breakdown if Myspace crashed.  If you are in the 10% that would be laughing, copy this and paste it into your signature.

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • It's all fire and brimstone, baby.
    • Awards
  • Species: Bull Were-ier
  • Build: Thick
  • Currently: apprehensive.
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 01:59:19 PM »
You know, school is actually not that bad. They teach you a lot of things, and maybe it's because I'm a nerd or something, but I enjoy it other than a few math classes. Youth today just don't care. You'd be amazed at how many college students cannot write a college english paper in English 101. Teachers aren't bad; in fact, I respect them for having to deal with kids like they do without slapping them. My point is, if you're so depressed and have such a bad life, school should be your outlet. It was mine, maybe that's why I liked it so much.