The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Karate Kid Remake  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
  • Reference: [link]
Karate Kid Remake
« on: March 13, 2010, 09:27:21 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3m7od2IUr0

Now there's been some noise about this for a little while and I thought it's about time that there was a thread on here.
Jackie Chan plays Mr. Han (aka Mr. Miyagi) He's chinese and does Kung Fu instead of the japanese Karate of the original

Jaden Smith plays Dre Parker (The Karate Kid) As the video shows, the kid can move. Apparently Jackie Chan has properly been training him. "He took the training very seriously. I was very impressed with him," Chan said of his young charge. "Jaden had a lot of respect for me as his teacher, even off the set. He is as professional as many adult actors who have been in the business for years."

Jaden's dad, Will Smith is producing the film.

So what does everyone think?
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline Jackie Lizard

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
Re: Karate Kid Remake
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 02:13:54 AM »
Hollywood repackaging another classic that will end up not nearly as good as the original...

They couldn't find another actor to play as Mr. Han? Jackie Chan seems like too much of a generic choice...

Offline Alice The Necrofox

• The Necromantic Mechanist
  • Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Back in black! Or rather a putrid shade of green
    • Awards
  • Species: Undead Fox/Demon Hybrid
  • Coloring: Green fur
  • Height: 5' 8"
  • Build: Tall, well built, young ish
  • Currently: Re-integrating with TFF. SO EXCITE
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 02:17:43 AM »
The name is KARATE kid, not KUNG FU kid.
sheesh, get it right

:/
  • Avatar by: Kazna (Waiting for him to give me his FA again)
  • Signature art by: None

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 11:59:48 AM »
Hollywood repackaging another classic that will end up not nearly as good as the original...

They couldn't find another actor to play as Mr. Han? Jackie Chan seems like too much of a generic choice...
sometimes a good remake or reboot can be great and I certainly think the Karate Kid is an old enough film. Often remakes are a bit duff compared to the originals, but considering the people involved, it could turn out really good... plus, it's Jackie Chan! Yeah he's been in a lot of movies, but that's because he's a martial arts legend (and a workaholic). If you want someone to be an old master, Jackie Chan's the man. That said, I am a fan of the man called Chan, especially his chinese movies, both old and new.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Offline Jackie Lizard

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 07:39:20 PM »
It will probably be a good movie on its own but it will have to deal with all recent reboots/remakes/sequels go through, and thats being under the original's shadow. I would like to see more original movies for my generation. Too much repackaging and not enough originality these days.

Personally I would've liked to have seen something like a Karate Kid but with more creative liberties taken with the plot so it could stand on its own and probably pass with another name entirely.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 07:41:39 PM by Jackie Lizard »

• Unique Unicorn
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 11:42:25 PM »
yeah if something more original was made, I think it would have to have a different name. (Italian Job remake was not The Italian Job, I am Legend was not I am Legend) but in terms of remakes, I would say that Karate kid is a great one to choose. As for more originality in Hollywood, there are still new things to watch, and if none appeal to you, it never hurts to branch out into independant or foreign films.

Offline Shinzuu Katame: Her Tolfy

• Blade of Fury
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • Derkah Derkah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf-Tiger
  • Coloring: Black and Silver
  • Height: 6'11
  • Weight: 182 lbs.
  • Build: Fit and muscular.
  • Currently: Sore back. Sore feet. Sore everything.
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 09:21:10 PM »
Sorry, but I just can't get over there being a black kid in this movie set. It already took me 3 movies to get over there being white kids in the movies. But then again, I guess that makes me just like those mean kids in the preview. Screw it. I'm traditional, and friggin' proud of it.