The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Somebody help, please!  (Read 2087 times)

Offline Count of Cutesy

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Am I cute?
    • Awards
  • Species: A mythical creature called an Almiraj.
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: Not good with height.
  • Weight: Not good with weight, either.
  • Build: Since I made this guy in a program that didn't allow me to change the bulk or build of a furry, I would say about Average.
Somebody help, please!
« on: June 21, 2011, 01:07:36 AM »
Yep, it's me, owner of Benny Jack Bunnycorn. I've been drawing for quite a wile, but despite the fact I'm hitting 20 soon, I haven't improved much since I first started. But sometimes I ask myself, do I really need drawing skills? I draw for fun, not for fame. I draw characters that I find cool, and I sometimes draw things for other people too. I'm pretty good at taking criticism as well.

Here's the latest thing I drew, it's a remake of a Salivor Raider, a character I made during my "Battle Monsters" project (Not to be confused with this really crappy game for the Sega Saturn, Battle Monsters is something I made up containing sixteen different monster races.) Personally, if you looked at the first version, there's no denying that this is a HUGE step up from the first one. Infact, it might just be one of the best things I have ever drawn, if not, the character I spent the longest ammount of time to draw.

My other work is right here on my DeviantArt page. Although it might not be worth your time.
http://mugourth.deviantart.com/
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 08:27:34 PM by Benny Bunnycorn »

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline ^Geist^

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
Re: Novice Drawers Artwork
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 02:28:26 AM »
+1 Props to you man this is sick.

Offline Count of Cutesy

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Am I cute?
    • Awards
  • Build: Since I made this guy in a program that didn't allow me to change the bulk or build of a furry, I would say about Average.
Re: Novice Drawers Artwork (Now with Gila Monsters)
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 02:58:56 AM »

I made a drawing based on the current state of the road I live on. ...In other words, I have to keep going out and cleaning it, cause people keep throwing their trash onto the street. I didn't even finish today cause my dad got worried about me and came to get me when I was on the return trip.

Offline Count of Cutesy

• Eager Elephant
  • Am I cute?
    • Awards
Re: Novice Drawers Artwork (A little help, please)
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 05:57:30 PM »
I know I'm not supposed to Double Post, but I want some help finishing this drawing, and if I deleat my last post, it will become a bump too big to be allowed.

So anyway, this is a scene from one of my scripts for the cartoon I'm working on. This is when Benny first confronts Salobal Aysalg. "A dark shadowy figure as tall as a tower. The symbol on his chest as black as his grimy claws. His power is second only too my own. - September Amirun"

What I'm trying to figure out is how to make the scene more climactic. I have clouds and lightning bolts, but I feel like I'm missing something. I know I could add some dead trees, but that's too easy. Any ideas?

Offline Count of Cutesy

• Eager Elephant
  • Am I cute?
    • Awards
Re: Somebody help, please!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 08:39:30 PM »
Okay, THIS is why I can't improve as an artist. THIS is why I'm confined to my current state is that no one ever gives me criticism.

Right now, I'm trying to start my career as a cartoonist by drawing comics. All I want right now is for people to answer a simple question:

Can you understand what's going on in the comic?

If not, I will explain it, and we will go from there.

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 08:48:57 PM »
Yes, but not as easily and I should be able to. Your text layout needs a lot of work, as does the perspective of your backgrounds.

I also think you'd benefit from making an in-depth character sheet of your character(s). Viewed from multiple angles, listing multiple facial expressions, and so on. The first three drawings of Benny almost don't even look like the same creature. His teeth and ears change sizes, and his eyes look so different between the second and third drawings that it was hard to identify immediately that it was supposed to be the same creature. Consistency is often very important when it comes to comics, and having a character sheet to reference can help with that.

But yes. I can understand what's going on, so that's a start.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Count of Cutesy

• Eager Elephant
  • Am I cute?
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 09:21:31 PM »
Yes, but not as easily and I should be able to. Your text layout needs a lot of work, as does the perspective of your backgrounds.

I also think you'd benefit from making an in-depth character sheet of your character(s). Viewed from multiple angles, listing multiple facial expressions, and so on. The first three drawings of Benny almost don't even look like the same creature. His teeth and ears change sizes, and his eyes look so different between the second and third drawings that it was hard to identify immediately that it was supposed to be the same creature. Consistency is often very important when it comes to comics, and having a character sheet to reference can help with that.

But yes. I can understand what's going on, so that's a start.

Yeah, I knew background perspective was going to be a problem.

I also do have trouble with consistency. Like for example, Benny's feet. I always try to make them so big they look cool/cute, but not so big it becomes a foot fetish. But his horn, his ears, his eyes, all the cuts in his vest, many things about character making are difficult. And I struggle to get them right.

Right now, the only consistency problem that I see that's night and day is Benny's horn in the third panel at the top. The rest can be ignored for now. As for Background perspective, I think it might just be easier if I stick to one window for now. As for letter placement, I've always been bad at handwriting. That might be difficult.

Anyway, thanks for the criticism.

I should make a character sheet explaining his vest and his expressions, I should also draw an expression with Benny's mouth open.

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 10:20:34 PM »
One of the most important aspects in a character sheet is using it to determine all of the proportions of a character. Like seen here: http://redwallanimation.webs.com/photos/character-sheets/Rose_Character_Sheet_by_Eshva.jpg

Those horizontal lines that are drawn across the different views tell you *exactly* where the ears start and end, in relation to *exactly* where the head starts and ends, in relation to *exactly* where the body starts and ends, etc. Those are proportions you can use every single time you draw your character. If you follow them the best you can, you get consistency.

Art stream:

Offline Count of Cutesy

• Eager Elephant
  • Am I cute?
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 01:13:30 PM »
Now I'm trying to make this one Deviant Art stamp.

I've always kind of adored chubby characters, but I don't like people who draw characters to the point of disgusting-ness. That's why I'm deciding to make a "Pro RESTRAINED Chub-Art" stamp using my token chubby character, September Amirun. But, as you can tell, the sprite looks like poo. And I don't just mean that metaphorically. I need tips on how to make it so the sprite is tolerable looking. Because no one's going to fave a stamp that looks like THAT!

I'm currently a novice at spriting.

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 02:59:23 PM »
I think this person has some nice pixel art tutorials: http://kiwinuptuo.deviantart.com/gallery/27054576

Art stream:

Offline Count of Cutesy

• Eager Elephant
  • Am I cute?
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 10:03:21 PM »
Okay, I have an idea of shading, but now I have to add her whiskers, and I can't seem to make them look good. Even adding her nostrils makes the sprite look ugly. Should I just forget about the whiskers.

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 12:20:22 AM »
I dunno. Up to you.

Art stream:

Offline Count of Cutesy

• Eager Elephant
  • Am I cute?
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 10:24:19 PM »
http://mugourth.deviantart.com/#/d47hhrk

Now all I need are some pallet suggestions for these three fakemon I conjured up earlier. o:)