The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Advice: Telling others about being furry  (Read 84707 times)

Offline VoodooMax

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Orange and White
  • Height: 5 Feet 11 Inches
  • Weight: 130 pounds
  • Build: Slender
Re: Advice: Telling others about being furry
« Reply #855 on: October 04, 2016, 06:33:16 PM »
This is a hard and touchy subject to introduce to others, as mentioned before in replies to this topic. The sad truth is that most people are ignorant towards the Furry culture and rely on misconceptions about us (which are false by the way). I would suggest to just connect to communities such as this one to make Furry friends. If you must introduce yourself as a Furry to others I can try to help by listing ideas the COULD help, however I would think this completely through before taking action on such a subject.

These steps are not in any order:

1. Try to show a picture of your Fursona to the person you want to tell and gradually ease into the fact you are a Furry
2. Try to show this or another website focusing on the Furry community to the person you want to show and gradually explain what the Furry fandom is all about
3. Try playing dumb; ask what Furries are and see what they know then ease into explaining that you are a Furry
4. Try having a casual conversation about anthropomorphic animals and ease into you being one
5. Try writing a letter and giving the letter to the person explaining that you are a Furry

These steps could help but please use your best judgement to determine if you should say anything about being a Furry due to the many misconceptions out there .       

Offline Nazieri

• Avid Aardvark
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Lemur/Elk/Fox
  • Coloring: Black, Turquoise, Lime/Shamrock green, blue violet and sand brown
  • Height: 5'4"
  • Weight: 130 lbs
  • Build: slight muscle build
  • Currently: Calm
« Reply #856 on: October 22, 2016, 10:47:31 AM »
It's been almost a full year and I still haven't come out to anyone about being a furry. I don't know what to say to them. I feel like I have to purchase my fur suit and sneak off to conventions without being noticed or caught by my family, friends and others that know me personally. I wish there was a way I could show them and help them understand that it's not what they think it is and I just genuinely like being a furry. I want to go out and have tons of fun like the Furries I watch on Youtube. Furries who go to candy shops and amusement parks or even just a stroll around town. Not telling them and not being able to openly talk about it is hard and it makes me a little sad inside.
I like cold spaghetti

Offline Kate Hanami

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • An ACTUAL Animal Talker
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Red Squirrel
  • Coloring: Red Body, White Belly, Black Claws, Pink Nose, Dark Gray Eyes
  • Height: Kinda tall when look, but actually average size...
  • Weight: Lightweight, possibly underweight for his size
  • Build: I dunno.... Squirrel like? I've already said is a normal looking Squirrel
  • Currently: bored out of my mind
« Reply #857 on: November 30, 2016, 02:57:51 PM »
If I want to tell someone, I usually get VERY nervous and it won't come out, it feels like words go back to my stomach and make a spring cleaning there (the type someone else is obsessively doing, and when you try to go anywhere, you get stuck between loads of moved furniture, with piles of dirt everywhere), and the feeling won't go away until I completely dismiss the idea, and move pass any subject related...
If however, I casually mention it like just anything, I get it out easily, like:
You: Wow, you sure have a lot a plushes, don't you?
Me: Of course! you would expect from a Furry.
or
You: Is your Nintendo 3DS charged? can I play a bit?
Me: Sure!
You: You know... Nintendo DS is called "the Video Game of Pokemon", isn't that strange to a grown men like you?
Me: No stranger than being a Furry!
So I guess my trick if to not make a big deal out of it, it's just like saying, i write songs, I can fix your PC, or I like Kingdom Hearts and Steven Universe, is just a part of me, that I don't need to overthink,
that's what works for me anyways, otherwise I drop some obvious clues, but that's another thing.

Offline Silverwind Blade

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug
  • Arvaran Solar Ranger
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Pegasus
  • Coloring: Dark Grey fur, blue mane and tail.
  • Height: 6' 5"
  • Build: Rugged, but athletic. Relatively muscular.
« Reply #858 on: November 30, 2016, 07:14:49 PM »
My advice about it is that the weirder and more secretive you treat it, the more you treat it like it's something to hide or be ashamed of, the more other people will see it the same way.
It's a hobby; like model-making, gaming, watching anime, or anything else. Not everyone has to like or enjoy everything everyone else does, and nor should you expect them to. And it's up to you if you tell them or not as well - does everyone have to know? Would it make a difference if they did or not?
Like others have said; own it, and drop it in casual conversation, as much as you would any other hobby or interest. If your friends are decent enough to be friends in the first place, then they should accept it. If not, and they react like you've suddenly grown three extra heads, or have told them you eat children... then are they really people you want as friends anyway?
A Sound Like Distant Thunder...
USS Starfire - Star Trek based sci-fi action roleplay.

Offline Kate Hanami

• Avid Aardvark
  • An ACTUAL Animal Talker
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Red Squirrel
  • Coloring: Red Body, White Belly, Black Claws, Pink Nose, Dark Gray Eyes
  • Height: Kinda tall when look, but actually average size...
  • Weight: Lightweight, possibly underweight for his size
  • Build: I dunno.... Squirrel like? I've already said is a normal looking Squirrel
  • Currently: bored out of my mind
« Reply #859 on: December 01, 2016, 02:19:25 PM »
My advice about it is that the weirder and more secretive you treat it, the more you treat it like it's something to hide or be ashamed of, the more other people will see it the same way.
It's a hobby; like model-making, gaming, watching anime, or anything else. Not everyone has to like or enjoy everything everyone else does, and nor should you expect them to. And it's up to you if you tell them or not as well - does everyone have to know? Would it make a difference if they did or not?
Like others have said; own it, and drop it in casual conversation, as much as you would any other hobby or interest. If your friends are decent enough to be friends in the first place, then they should accept it. If not, and they react like you've suddenly grown three extra heads, or have told them you eat children... then are they really people you want as friends anyway?
I said better wouldn't myself, If you just take it casually like Painting or Collecting, there nothing you should be ashamed or afraid to tell anyone, but if they don't like it, it's okay, they don't need to, friend and Family doesn't need to have all the same likes and tastes, but if your so call "friend" thinks you rip eyes from people's heads or set fire on parked car, than you can tell that "friend" to bite you and choke on a egg, being a Furry is nothing to be ashamed of, and if they think you should, then that's not what I call a Friend, if I may be blunt as a shovel, what kind of Friend is that? a jerk I would slap so hard, a fortune teller could tell my future by looking at their face... I guess what I'm trying to say here is that, Your Friends and Family don't need to like, just accept it and understand, and if they don't, they ain't no good friends, so yeah...

Offline Zeya the cat

• Avid Aardvark
  • Be the change you want to see
    • Awards
  • Species: Kitten
  • Coloring: Black, white
  • Height: Kitten hight :3
  • Weight: Quite chubby
  • Build: Streamlined
  • Currently: sitting around in hoodies
how do i tell my freinds about this?
« Reply #860 on: January 27, 2017, 07:59:30 AM »
 how do  tell them? they asked what it was when they saw it on my history, so what do i say? They might find me weird after that and im an honest guy, so i cant just lie. Help? ^_^
well, i have a lame signature, so here is writing.

Offline Vortex Cynbel

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Blue
  • Build: Normal
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: I wanna learn to code dammit x3
Re: how do i tell my freinds about this?
« Reply #861 on: January 27, 2017, 08:07:22 AM »
I am suggesting just telling them the truth and explain them what it is that we do in this fandom so they don't get the wrong idea..

Anyways if they are true friend they'll accept you for who you are ^_^ Hope this helps ^.^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Avatar by: Nana (from furry amino)
  • Signature art by: Fable

Offline Halei-Helai

• Handsome Horse
  • A strange thing indeed.
    • Awards
  • Species: Lahaian
  • Coloring: White with black stripes
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 125 lb
  • Build: Svelte
« Reply #862 on: January 27, 2017, 03:51:38 PM »
The best way that this seems to work, at least from my limited experience, is not to go and make a big deal out of yourself being a furry. Tell them something akin to, "yeah, I'm a furry", and use the same tone of voice you might use when you say, "yeah, I ate a sandwich today."

You making a scene and a big deal of things increases the likelihood that your friends will as well.
Sorcerous sage and cataloger of curiosities
---------------
Feel free to PM me. I am always up for a conversation!

Offline Fuzzpaws

• Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Poster
  • Learning the wisdom of the wolf
    • Awards
  • Species: Feral Wolf
  • Coloring: White with black and grey frosting, generally a Native American feather dangle from one ear.
  • Height: big... a little over 40" at shoulders when 4 footing, over 6' standing
  • Weight: 190 +
  • Build: like a very healthy, active wolf should look!
  • Currently: learning... so much to learn!
« Reply #863 on: January 27, 2017, 04:55:44 PM »
My best buddy stopped by the house without calling... I was wearing my tail and grey fleece  (my current 'wolf suit'). I just acted normal, it's a part of me and who I am... NExt time he he commented "Nice tail" I just replied "Thanks" and left it at that.

My point is this: It is part of who YOU are, don't let the fear change how you feel about being a fur. If they bring it up again (and let them, don't do it yourself) just reply as casually as possible in an affirmative way. If they ask more then ask them to sit down and talk about it with you and explain what it means to you.. Don't core dump, just crack the door and let them think on it. If they want to know more then fine, otherwise just let it float.

Fuzzpaws the Wolf (temporarily)

(2 spirits, one body, one mind shared by both
Apache's call it Naake ni)

(Avatar artist unknown, will remove if needed)

Offline Zeya the cat

• Avid Aardvark
  • Be the change you want to see
    • Awards
  • Species: Kitten
  • Coloring: Black, white
  • Height: Kitten hight :3
  • Weight: Quite chubby
  • Build: Streamlined
  • Currently: sitting around in hoodies
« Reply #864 on: January 27, 2017, 05:06:51 PM »
thanks all for the tips. I already told my BFF tyler, and he did not care at all, he just said 'ok.' thats it lol
my other freinds, idk what to tell them, they dont understand my way of talking as much as tyler.
be seeing yall soon. :D
well, i have a lame signature, so here is writing.

Offline Fuzzpaws

• Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Poster
  • Learning the wisdom of the wolf
    • Awards
  • Species: Feral Wolf
  • Coloring: White with black and grey frosting, generally a Native American feather dangle from one ear.
  • Height: big... a little over 40" at shoulders when 4 footing, over 6' standing
  • Weight: 190 +
  • Build: like a very healthy, active wolf should look!
  • Currently: learning... so much to learn!
« Reply #865 on: January 27, 2017, 05:09:41 PM »
thanks all for the tips. I already told my BFF tyler, and he did not care at all, he just said 'ok.' thats it lol
my other freinds, idk what to tell them, they dont understand my way of talking as much as tyler.
be seeing yall soon. :D

Awesome news!

Fuzzpaws the Wolf (temporarily)

(2 spirits, one body, one mind shared by both
Apache's call it Naake ni)

(Avatar artist unknown, will remove if needed)

Offline Aphexbeats

• Avid Aardvark
    • Steam
    • My artist soundcloud
    • Awards
  • Species: Lupus
  • Coloring: Gray and black
  • Height: 5' 10"
  • Weight: 165
  • Build: In good shape - moderately muscular
  • Currently: Looking to meet more furry friends!
How to Approach Telling Someone you are a Furry
« Reply #866 on: February 05, 2017, 05:55:34 PM »
Hello everyone, I have recently started getting into being a furry but I don't really know how to tell people I am. I have mentioned to my sister or parents that I want to make a fursuit or a mask. Is there any other way to tell someone so that it doesn't seem so weird/awkward? There are so many social stigmas to being  a furry that people have such a negative perception of them. Thanks.  :)
  • Signature art by: Myself
Music makes the world go round!

Offline Cal Bluepaws

• Avid Aardvark
  • Railfan Tiger
    • CaliRailfan - The Official Website
    • Awards
« Reply #867 on: February 17, 2017, 12:15:59 AM »
So, here's one of my experiences. I was a new furry so I decided to post a bunch of "Stop the hate on furries" posts (Lame, right?)on Instagram. I got some questions and some hate but mostly I got other people to lighten up and now I know a few more furries (And a few more furry haters.) My advice to asnyone would be NOT to post it on a social network first, but get some of your friends and tell them. If they are a true friend they will accept you, even if you have to tell them what a furry really is.
I am an INTP, meaning that I am part of approx. 3% of the world's population.

Check out Chiku! They're pretty great!

Offline mizzbellakitty

• Avid Aardvark
  • Meow
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Cat, Tiger, Lion, & Snow Leopard
  • Coloring: Goldish base with Ivory underbelly (Think of Kiara from TLK2), Bronze markings, & White feathers on wings
  • Height: Roughy 5ft
  • Weight: Roughly 100 - 110 lbs
  • Build: Petite with slight curviness
  • Currently: Usually happy or irritated.
« Reply #868 on: May 24, 2017, 01:51:45 PM »
I would say be careful about who you tell but you shouldn't make a huge deal about it if you do tell them. Try something like, "Yeah, I'm a furry. So what? It's just one of my hobbies."
You don't have to tell them if you don't want to. It's not really like coming out of the closet as LGBT. Being in the furry fandom is really just a hobby, like being in any fandom!
If you do tell someone in your family or friend group, there is a chance of them not reacting to it well. It may take time. I remember telling my mom for the first time and she was worried and weirded out but she's cool with it now!
Our fandom is pretty unique and a bit weird in it's own beautiful way!
 :)

Offline Whisko

• Avid Aardvark
  • Genetically Altered Militant Eradication Regiment
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • De_son_genre Discord
    • Awards
  • Species: Augmented Albino Arctic Fox
  • Coloring: Dull silver fur with red running down my lower jaw to tail.
  • Height: 1" 7' (5" 7')
  • Weight: 20 lbs (120 lbs)
  • Build: Fur is more silk like (more stealthy) and shorter.
  • Currently: Living, breathing, and currently thinking...
« Reply #869 on: August 28, 2017, 01:37:19 AM »
So two of my trusted friends when I told I am a furry, one of them went out and said they are too! The other just started naming sites to see what I use... though when I meet up with a few friends for a MTG game, they (Names are made up here but this did happen) said "This card has a furry on it, you know any furries Jake? (said Mike) Mike then says "No I do not" I then pipe up and say "Yeah you do..." They both get really confused and I tell them "I am a furry" One of them yells yiff and starts making fun of the fandom and the other kinda just says "That is disgusting, but I don't wanna shame you".

So one friend is one. One friend is okay with it. The other friend stereotypes and acts like a... (INSERT WORD HERE). The last friend stereotypes them as well, but at least he wants to seem nicer and so doesn't harass me about it. What should I do? I think I should just not be friends with the few guys I refereed to as Mike.
I am an incomprehensible and needlessly complex soul and mind within an elaborate and intricate body. It's really quite simple, isn't it?