The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Internetz Help!  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Thalion

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • ~Squeak!~ ^^`
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Panda Mouse
  • Coloring: White and Black
  • Height: 5' 10"
  • Weight: 160lbs
  • Build: Slender But Toned
  • Reference: [link]
Internetz Help!
« on: May 15, 2015, 10:23:35 AM »
I have an internet question for anyone willing to answer...

My current living location doesn't allow me to get any internet better than 12mb/s naked DSL... Will this be enough for twitch base gaming (fps, racing, etc.) AND allow my mate to watch Netflix in HD at the same time?

I only ask because I don't want to fall into a contract and be stuck with garbage speeds for months to then be able to get cable net later. Any help is appreciated! ~<3
I'm a night fluff in the U.S. so if I don't respond I'm probably sleeping...

Offline EchoesAbove

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Noodle
  • Coloring: White/Green
Re: Internetz Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 01:35:09 PM »
So, you want to stream (upload) and your mate wants to watch Netflix (download) if I'm understanding correctly.

As long as your stream doesn't eat all of the upload bandwith this shouldn't be a problem. Not sure about Twitch, but OBS has a function where you can limit the upload rate, this is what I do because my boyfriend and me have a similar bandwith and sometimes I wanna stream while he plays Diablo III.
  • Avatar by: Photo by Nyro, Stock by ftourini-stock and venomxbaby, Edit by me
  • Signature art by: Kitsune_Nyx

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 02:52:11 PM »
Please use www.speedtest.net to see how your upload is.

Your download and upload are somewhat unrelated and your upload will usually be considerably slower than your download. An upload of about 1-2 mb/s should be enough to stream 360p quality streams or even 480p. You could upload higher quality video with an upload rate of 1-2 mb/s but it may cause stuttering, if you use twitch however they design it to cause as little stuttering as possible, instead the video buffers silently and then releases the full video when it's done buffering with an artificial delay. This WILL probably mean that people watching your stream are 10-20 seconds behind you but it will also mean there won't be too much stuttering.

A download of 12 mb/s is more than enough to download netflix, depending on the quality. Worst case scenario, just start loading the video and have a break, let the video load while you do something else and when it is fully, or partially loaded, then watch it. Download or upload speeds won't affect whether you can or can't download stuff.

Your bandwidth should be enough to handle two internet connections, but if it isn't you may should just do what Echoes says or stream (or download) lower quality videos.

• Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Thalion

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • ~Squeak!~ ^^`
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Panda Mouse
  • Coloring: White and Black
  • Height: 5' 10"
  • Weight: 160lbs
  • Build: Slender But Toned
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 03:01:29 AM »
They said upload would be ~1mb/s

Thanks for the help guys! :D

I might just get it cause I'm having withdrawls
I'm a night fluff in the U.S. so if I don't respond I'm probably sleeping...

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 11:42:48 AM »
> 12mb/s
> DSL

Yes, you can do with that. For Netflix that's more than enough unless your ISP is crap although for streaming, it should be fine but you may need to lower the quality setting a tad in your streaming software to prevent dropped frames.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 11:46:19 AM by Timmy Fox »
Proud to be a furry!

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 12:48:34 PM »
Here in South Africa, it's possible to watch Netflix comfortably with 1Mb/s ad we get HD with 2Mb/s

Lol. The most we get here is 4Mb/s

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 04:25:47 PM »
You can find Average connections here: http://www.netindex.com/download/map
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";