The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Just found out my roommate is a furry, looking for advice.  (Read 501 times)

Offline roommate42

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
Just found out my roommate is a furry, looking for advice.
« on: July 19, 2011, 05:18:41 PM »
Hey everyone, first off sorry if I unintentionally violate any rules here, I just googled and registered.

Just the other night I found out that one of my college roommates is furry. He's a pretty close friend of mine so I'd like to respond appropriately and sensitively. I experimented with furryism (is that the correct term?) a little back in high school, so I'm familiar with the basic idea of a fursona, but not much more than that. I've got a couple questions of my own but am really looking for general advice on what should/should not be done and what is/is not appropriate.

Should I avoid furryism in normal conversation, i.e. do most people consider it part of their private lives?
(Obviously I will avoid it in mixed company, not what I'm asking about)

Would it be rude to ask or not ask about his fursona?

Personally, it seems utterly indefensible to arbitrarily dispense hate upon any group defined by sexual interest, but are there more specific sensitivities I should be aware of?

Thanks for your help!

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
  • I am funny and intelligent. And attractive.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Twilight Leopard
  • Height: 9 ft long (274 cm), 7 ft tall (213 cm); tail, 12 ft (365 cm)
  • Weight: 2315 lbs (1050 kg)
  • Build: Stocky
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: *flop* One-man furpile.
Re: Just found out my roommate is a furry, looking for advice.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 05:24:25 PM »
As far as I know, it's referred to as furdom.

And the best thing you can do is ask the guy. Some prefer to keep it private, some prefer to be open and proud. And as you're good friends, I doubt he will take any offence in you asking what you've asked us. If anything, he'll be happy you're showing interest.

And mentioning that you've been in contact with it before proves that you're open towards it too, which I'm sure he'll appreciate.

But keep one thing in mind; furdom has nothing to do with sexual attraction. Many are, sexually attracted to furries, but that is NOT what defines it. It's like saying that everyone that likes Super Mario is into it because they think Peach is really hot.
Feel free to read this: http://www.thefurryforum.com/forums/index.php?topic=16042.0
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 05:28:23 PM by The Great Puncia »

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 07:21:39 PM »
I agree with everything Puncia said. Most likely he'll be perfectly fine talking about the fandom as long as you're open-minded about it.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Count of Cutesy

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Am I cute?
    • Awards
  • Species: A mythical creature called an Almiraj.
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: Not good with height.
  • Weight: Not good with weight, either.
  • Build: Since I made this guy in a program that didn't allow me to change the bulk or build of a furry, I would say about Average.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 09:22:02 PM »
While it's not true for all furries, many of the furries I know are among the nicest people I've ever met. Even the people here are really nice most of the time. The mods may seem a bit strict, but they're more assertive than anything else about their modsmenship.

I would at least ask him in private if he's comfortable about using the word furry around others. And if he is, well then honestly, he's a braver man that I am.

Just don't listen to all those sexual stereotypes and stuff you may see on TV. While it may be true for some, it's generally untrue for most. And even if it was, I consider it entirely a moot point anyway. Simply put, some are, some aren't. Chances are, your friend is NOT one of the sick kind, so don't worry too much.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 09:24:22 PM by Benny Bunnycorn »

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Gelidus

• Kuddly Kitten
  • I'll freeze your soul
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf/Falcon
  • Coloring: blue, tan, brown, and white
  • Height: 6'1''
  • Weight: 190 lb
  • Build: Althetically slender
  • Currently: PONIES!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 09:34:17 PM »
Well I've been kinda in your situation before, but on the opposite end. My roommate was really cool when I started turning furrry. He was the only one I wore my collar in front of. Basically as long as your cool with your roommate's furryness you two will get along fine. Just ask what your curious about, and I'm sure your roommate will be more than happy to answer. Make sure he knows your asking cause your curious and not cause you want to bash his ideas.

And another note: the furry fandom isn't defined by sexual interest. That is probably those most important thing to understand.
Love is only a feeling.
A feeling of security, a feeling of happiness, a feeling of lust, a feeling of belonging.
A feeling we need.
We may think we can live life without it, but a life without it would be boring, meaningless, and depressing.
Love controls us. Without love, we are nothing. With it, nothing else in the world matters
Love is only a feeling.
A feeling that makes life worth living or dying

Offline Blackfang1002

• Dancing Dragon
  • Avy was made by the lovely and talented Kaprika!
    • Awards
  • Species: Toxic Fox
  • Coloring: Green, White, and black
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 189 lbs
  • Build: Average
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 11:28:14 PM »
Honestly I agree with everyone here. They've covered just about everything there is to keep in mind. The only thing Ill add is he was most likely a fur before you found out and a fur now. He's still him so no need to act any differently than you already have been. Talking about it I'm sure will be fine but truly he's still the friend you felt so close to. ^_^ We're just like everyone else.....just our hugs are snugglier. XP

Offline Karma Moonshadow

• Chatty Cheetah
  • The blood of the wicked is my life support.
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Pure white
  • Height: 5' 9"
  • Weight: Light
  • Build: Lithe and wiry
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 01:02:12 AM »
Personally, it seems utterly indefensible to arbitrarily dispense hate upon any group defined by sexual interest, but are there more specific sensitivities I should be aware of?

This is a mistake alot of people make, the stereotype about furdom being a sexual interest is floating around but it's not true for the vast majority of us. I agree with the others. Putting myself in his place, I'd say that simply being openminded and non-assuming would be plenty to make him feel comfortable talking about it.

You seem to be a polite and sensitive person, so I don't think you'll have any trouble.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 01:05:00 AM by Aurelis Ornitier »
...So can you tell me what exactly does freedom mean, if I'm not free to be as twisted as I wanna be?

- Disturbed, "Divide"

Offline WhiteTiger89

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
  • Species: Winged Siberian Tiger
  • Coloring: White fur with black stripes, sapphire blue eyes, black wings
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 185 lbs.
  • Build: Tall with lean muscles.
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 02:26:46 AM »
So long as you're polite and tactful when/if you talk to him about it, as others have already said, you'll be fine. I know I would be thrilled if my friends were fine to my being a furry. I'm just not brave enough to tell them. :P And as Blackfang said, he's probably been a furry for a lot longer than you've known about it. I would also encourage you to mention that you dabbled in the furdom in the past. That will go a long way toward proving to him that you're genuinely interested/curious.

Best of luck. :)
"Avenged Drunkenfold, Disdrunked, and Drunken Force!" - Mike Wengren, drummer for Disturbed.

Offline ZombiezuRFER

• Dancing Dragon
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Spinosaurus aegyptiacus
  • Coloring: Grey, red, rust red, light blue, yellow eyes, black claws
  • Height: 9 ft 9 in
  • Weight: 360 lbs
  • Build: Tall, strong, and lean
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 02:39:00 AM »
If your friend is a furry, why worry? Nothing about him has changed other than self acceptance perhaps.  This is nothing to worry about, it's just your friend realizing himself.

= Special Operations =

Et tu, Human?
De oculo mentis, servire se optimum est.

Offline Cifero Windtail

• Velvety Vole
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Poster
  • I never give up... so don't push me. >_<
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Crat Feline-crow mix. (Just found out.... I HAVE FRACKING WINGS!!) (SO freaked out!!)
  • Coloring: Grey with dark grey stripes, Black hair, light blue scleras and blue corneas,
  • Height: 5' 10&quot;
  • Weight: 89 lbs. and then about 50 more (about 139 lbs.); he's fit, but he's not muscular. Has a bit of an outie.
  • Build: Lithe but wiry; a little soft around the middle, but it's hardly noticeable; he's actually got a rather feminine form.
  • Currently: Holding out for a hero... but always having to save myself.
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 05:55:47 PM »
Yeah. Just be cool. This doesn't change anything. And it might cause you and your friend to become even closer.  ;)
  • Avatar by: I have three or four great ones: one by Sabah and a few by Lovableoutcast/Kishi... and also this one, drawn by Kayato/ Kaya... thanks guys. ^_^
  • Signature art by: I just want to tell you, the reference is a link to my other fursona.  Also: http://www.sanger.dk/
(I love my sister) http://www.zark.com http://www.zark.com/pages2/az66/az66b.html
Don't mess with Grammaton Clerics. THEY WILL END YOU.

Offline ZombiezuRFER

• Dancing Dragon
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Spinosaurus aegyptiacus
  • Coloring: Grey, red, rust red, light blue, yellow eyes, black claws
  • Height: 9 ft 9 in
  • Weight: 360 lbs
  • Build: Tall, strong, and lean
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 08:26:04 PM »
Especially if you become a furry yourself...

*idea*
EVERYBODY CROWD THE GUY! HE MUST JOIN US! :P

= Special Operations =

Et tu, Human?
De oculo mentis, servire se optimum est.

Offline icy wolf

• the lone wolf
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf dog
  • Coloring: white
  • Height: 5.11 ft
  • Weight: 165 pounds
  • Build: medium
  • Currently: beeing playfull
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 02:27:34 AM »
i wouldmt advised asking him about being a furry or his fursona  unless your open minded , usealy  when you ask a furry about there fursona or being a furry, you will be talking for a wail. as ive seen we usealy love to talk about been a furry, or at least i do. talk to him and keep an open mind. oh and if you do see CSI or 1000 ways to die please for the love of every thing that is good keep in minded that, that is BS its fake. once you start talking to him you never know you might become one as well. also you found a good  forum, iam sure that most of our members here would love to talk about it, but if its more mature stuff ask one of our members who is over 18... iam one of them.

just a few facts

Statement: All furries are homosexual or bisexual
Truth: No, most furries are heterosexual
according to these results of a survey- http://www.klisoura.com/ot_... Look at the sixth category, on "Sexual Orientation"

Statement: All furries are into yiff
Truth: NO, that is a big lie,

Statement: All furries have fursuits
Truth: Most furries DO NOT have fursuits. About 19% of furries do own fursuit(s). Btw, I don't own a fursuit

Statement: Furry is a fetish
Truth: It's not a fetish,

Statement: Furries reject themselves as humans and behave like animals.
Truth: That is false, even though we know we like to act like animals, we do not reject ourselves as humans. ( i do but on a spiritual  level because iam therian .... unrelated to being a furry)

Statement: Furries are evil.
Truth: You got to be kidding right?We make donations to foundations that save the lives of millions of animal wildlife. How is that evil?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 02:44:34 AM by icy wolf »
shadow hide you   

my fall will be for you, my love will be for you, if you are the one to cut me so i will bleed for ever

[/size]

FCX[wolf dog=]m3acdrsw A C++ D++++ H+++ M? P++ R T++ W Z Sm RLS a cn+ e+ f++ h* i+~+ j+ p sm+

^ furry code

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
  • I am funny and intelligent. And attractive.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Twilight Leopard
  • Height: 9 ft long (274 cm), 7 ft tall (213 cm); tail, 12 ft (365 cm)
  • Weight: 2315 lbs (1050 kg)
  • Build: Stocky
  • Currently: *flop* One-man furpile.
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 04:41:26 AM »
I think this was generally covered in the link I provided at the top, isn't it..?

Offline Count of Cutesy

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Am I cute?
    • Awards
  • Species: A mythical creature called an Almiraj.
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: Not good with height.
  • Weight: Not good with weight, either.
  • Build: Since I made this guy in a program that didn't allow me to change the bulk or build of a furry, I would say about Average.
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 05:56:30 PM »
Statement: Furries are evil.
Truth: You got to be kidding right?We make donations to foundations that save the lives of millions of animal wildlife. How is that evil?

Probably because, and I quote: "If it doesn't benefit humans, then it's pointless." I forgot who said that.

Anyway, I don't think this guy has logged in ever since he posted the topic.

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 07:37:33 PM »
Anyway, I don't think this guy has logged in ever since he posted the topic.

Actually, he has logged in since... It's in his profile. >_>

Don't get so overly defensive about this thing, guys. Roomate42 posted some very polite and respectful questions. You guys should be equally respectful.

Locking this thread before it attracts drama.

Good luck with the roommate. I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.