The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Will I be making the right choice? is there even a right or wrong choice?  (Read 400 times)

Offline Grey_Wulf

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I feel stupid AND CONTAGIOUS!
    • Awards
  • Species: Vampiric Wolf
  • Coloring: Dark Grey
  • Height: 5 ft 11
  • Weight: about 140 pounds
k, I'm in my third year of college, seriously doubting if this is the right path I'm on (computers) and for about 8 years the army has been something to think about for me. Now the time seems to have come and I'm reconsidering my future.
Do I go out there and fight for my friends and family? my country? those are my reasons to want to go out there, whenever I see our troops killed part of me was thinking "I should have been fighting beside them". This links in with where I don't fear my own death whatsoever. But the feeling of making friends while serving and the constant threat of possibly losing them tears me apart, I've always valued friends over myself, not that I don't think of myself as low compared to them, but they mean so much to me.
Let me get on too...is my pride for my country and those I know blinding me? if I go out, whos saying what horrors I might encounter. But if I don't I have years, maybe a lifetime of regret for not trying to do my family proud.
I'm thinking of dropping out of college for this...should I at least finish my year first? or just get a job in computers and take what I have and try and leave this behind?
In all, the thought of serving...It's like it's always been there, like a calling. Though I have a four year old brother, trying to be a good one being an only child for most of my childhood (I'm 18). Who's going to be there for him if I'm gone?

Sorry if this was all over the place, my head is torn in two at the moment. Any advice to offer guys?
"I know an ash-tree stands called yggdrasil
a high tree, soaked with shing loam;
from there come the dews which fall in the valley,
ever green, it stands over the well of fate."
The Poetic Edda - Seeress's prophecy 19.1

Offline Kindran Ornitier

• The Resident Vampyre Kitteh
  • Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • =^,-,^= Nyah!
    • Fur Affinity
    • Facebook
    • Awards
  • Species: Snake/Cat hybrid
  • Coloring: dark grey scales with electric purple veins running through them
  • Height: 8'
  • Weight: 210 lb
  • Build: Athletic and built in the legs
  • Currently: Shy semi-lurker panda er... cat-snake
Re: Will I be making the right choice? is there even a right or wrong choice?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 10:01:56 PM »
First you need to weigh what you'll lose against what you'll gain. Then consider which you have the biggest passion for. You may get to finish college either way if the military will help pay for it. I have to consider the military to help pay for college because my parents and I can't afford it. If you think you will truly enjoy yourself (enjoy may be the wrong word for it) then go for it. Follow what you think to be right.
RIP Patchy 08/96 - 29/01/10

The Rave Master

Sors imanis et inanis
Translation: Fate monst'rous and empty - One-Winged Angel - Nobuo Uematsu

=^,-,^= Vampyre Kitteh saiz "Nyah!"

Offline Armalite_

• Shoots to Thrill
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Topic Starter
  • For the phony tough and the crazy brave.
    • Fur Affinity
    • My FA
    • Awards
  • Species: Spotted Hyena
  • Coloring: White, brown, charcoal, and green
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 200 lbs.
  • Build: Toned
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 01:43:54 AM »
Well I think that if this is something you're really sure about and that if you know what you're getting yourself into and you're alright with that. Then I say you should do what makes you happy (or atleast at peace with what you think you're destined to be). You should also be thinking about where this will take you in your future. Are you going to stay in the army for the rest of your life or will you go get an office job later on? The army's also a great place to learn about anything. It looks great on resumes and it takes care of your education which means free school.

FoXTAlL

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 03:58:42 AM »
This is a choice that you will ultimately have to make on your own. The only advice I can give is that go with what you really want to  do and feel confident about your choice. Take your time to make a decision, don't rush yourself into anything and you'll be fine no matter which path you pick.