The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Islam on Capitol Hill  (Read 1017 times)

Offline artimus

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Cat
  • Coloring: Black
  • Height: 6' 1''
  • Weight: 189
  • Build: Average build, fairly skinny.
Islam on Capitol Hill
« on: September 18, 2009, 08:01:14 PM »
So, has anyone here seen the news of the "Islam on Capitol Hill" prayer service on the 25th? I read about it and thought it seems really interesting and a good step toward acceptance of the Muslim religion in the U.S. What does everyone think about this? Do you think such an event will influence any other countries or bring acceptance to any other religions than Islam?

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to post a link to the website about the event: http://islamoncapitalhill.com/

And now I'm not sure if it's spelled "Capital" or "capitol" Oh well.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 08:06:08 PM by artimus »

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
  • Reference: [link]
Re: Islam on Capitol Hill
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 09:47:01 PM »
As a muslim, I will say that this is an excellent event and idea... will it make a significant impact upon the opinions of muslims that is held by over half of the US population?... No. I dont think it will. Events like this have come and gone in the USA, in Britain, in Germany, all over the place. They help a bit and do change the minds of quite a few people, but the people who are actively against Islam will most likely not be affected by this.

That said, there's always a good thing inherent to hope.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline artimus

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Cat
  • Coloring: Black
  • Height: 6' 1''
  • Weight: 189
  • Build: Average build, fairly skinny.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 10:26:34 PM »
I see what you mean, but I think what's important about the event is that it would show other countries how accepting the US CAN be, which is not an opinion held widely. I think it just may help the view of America in some Muslim countries. Yeah, it is hope, but there comes a point where hope is the last refuge and I prefer it to cynicism, you know?

Offline ¿ Jesse Pawman ?

• SILENCE! I BAN YOU!
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Top 100 Most Online This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 10 Poster
  • purrrrrrr...... here, have a cowlick :3
    • My blog.
    • Awards
  • Species: human
  • Height: six foot one inch
  • Build: round
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 03:11:28 AM »
The US can be accepting?! OMG!
MySpace

"when life gives you lemons, make apple juice and have the whole world wonder how you did it."- unknown

I HAVE TO CONSTANTLY REMIND MYSELF I'M A GROWNUP AND IT'S JUST THE INTERNET.