Author Topic: Those Sounds.  (Read 966 times)

Offline xXsilver bunni xX

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Angelicly Unique ♥
    • Awards
  • Species: Bunny-girl.
  • Coloring: White, pink.
  • Height: 5'6
Those Sounds.
« on: July 22, 2009, 07:14:00 AM »
My story is about a blind woman who is haunted by a poltergeist. So, all of the things described would be what the blind woman feels. She can't see, remember.
A poltergeist is like a spirit that haunts you by slamming doors, knocking on windows... ect.

(June 24th 1892)
I have been awoken again; and yet I can't really describe what my nightmare was. I can't even imagine things, because I was born to never see. I never once had experienced the joys of childhood, I never saw what laughter looks like, I never saw what happiness looks like. To see; would be a blessing, though some people don't realise what gift had being given to them. If only they could understand. So here I am now, stuck in a home which they all have left me inside. What use am I, if I can't even see? The only thing I can see, is the eternal darkness which remains my forever stalker, not even my friend.

The reason I guess I'm telling you all this, is because on this very night, something very strange had happened. I can't really describe it. My eyes weren't open, because it really wouldn't make much use, however my ears are listening. It was like a screeching noise, one that had the tendency to hurt my ears, but I didn't cover my ears, how would I know what was happening if I block out the only thing I need? I listened closely, trying to bear with the sound, but as I listened closer the sound got clearer; it sounded like sharpened nails, yet it was something different. Nails aren't that strong. I listened closer, and the sound was revealed, it was a blade slowly caressing the wall; strange it was pure silence. I couldn't even hear a man, or a woman breathing for that matter. I went against all I believed in, and let out a small "Who's there?"... no answer. The blade was becoming faster, faster, as if it was carving something, what could it be? Within seconds later; the blade dropped, and as it reached the ground, the sound echoed, and no person breathing was heard. I was alone in the echoing hollow. I stood up, and felt my way up to the other side. Crouching down to find the blade, all that was there was a pile of dust, I felt it closer; it felt like freshly burnt ashes, it was a mistake touching them as they had scorched my hand. As I got up, I tried to feel the carving, but there was no outline; just a liquid dripping down to the surface. I placed it to my mouth and it tasted of dried up blood mixed with new. What was this, what had broken loose in my home?

And this is where I decided to stop.

Well, time to post to Kupika and dA.
>_>
Angelique
Bunny girl
♥

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
  • Reference: [link]
Re: Those Sounds.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 01:17:48 PM »
Ok, bad things first (so that you'll feel better with the good things afterwards)

It's well written but ill researched. It's clear that you're writing this in a "what would it feel like to be blind" kind of way rather than a "I'm blind" way. For example, the dreams of the blind do have visuals because dreams are made by the mind and the mind needs visuals. Also, blind people tend to imagine what certain things look like depending on what they hear or feel, so they may not know what laughter looks like, but they can still guess. Also being blind doesnt completely eliminate the "joys of childhood," unless their parents are stupid, and if that was so, they probably wouldnt have enjoyed childhood anyway. And finally, you're really ramming home the fact that she's blind. You dont need to mention it so much, because as far as the character's concerned, she's been like that all her life. Why would she keep reminding people so explicitly?

As for the good bits, the writing has a good foundation and with some tweeks and rewrites, could actually become a rather strong piece. Lose most of the rhetorical questions unless the character is particularly fond of them, otherwise it sounds a bit like a children's show, over-emphasising the mystery and spookiness, which kinda breaks the immersion. But the ideas are good, and slow building nature of it works. This could be a good story, it just needs work.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project