The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: coyote hunt in my neighborhood  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Moonraiser

• The Nightwalker
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster
    • youtube
    • Awards
  • Species: Werewolf
  • Coloring: Black fur
  • Height: 6 Feet
  • Weight: 180 lbs.
  • Build: lean
coyote hunt in my neighborhood
« on: June 27, 2009, 04:42:40 PM »
I just had an experience this morning that i just thought would be an interesting topic to get off my mind. This morning i got up and found on my front porce dried blood splatter and blood paw tracks. I assume that a coyote came down from the small ridge above my neighborhood and caught a rabbit near my house in Colorado. This sounds like an average hunting but It is actually really weird. You see the coyotes in our area have never come down to our neighborhood in the 9 years that I have lived here to hunt. I am hypothesizing that these creatures are starting to lose their fear of humans which does not sit well with me since this is kinda a disruption in nature. You guys think that this was just a normal act of nature that just happened to find its way to my house or are these actions signs of their losing of natural fear? ???

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
  • Reference: [link]
Re: coyote hunt in my neighborhood
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 09:31:18 PM »
Depends on what the people are doing. If someones helping the coyotes then they are losing their fear. All they need is a good scare and they're gone. It's probably only one coyote doing it anyway. You should get like, guard dogs to chase them away. There's a place in india that did that to scare off tigers. They got the dogs and the people to chase it off slowly rather than frenzied charge like what would occasionally occur. That said, I certainly do not live in a place where this kind of thing happens, so I'm not the king of knowledge on this.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline Moonraiser

• The Nightwalker
  • Yellow Yak
    • youtube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 09:52:06 PM »
well we live in a fairly well populated area so maybe some people might be going onto their territory causing them to lose fear. A guard dog probably would not be a good idea though for me anyway since i have two dogs of my own. until it becomes a problem i'll just try and watch out for them and make sure that the fences are closed. I have seen this happen in the mountains as well with black bears going into town looking for food.

Offline ___

• Origami Guru
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 03:56:02 AM »
I hope this dosn't turn into a problem... People are trying to kill predators in the US as it is, and we don't need another reason for an all-out massacre...

Offline Moonraiser

• The Nightwalker
  • Yellow Yak
    • youtube
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 06:12:26 AM »
yeah im hoping it dosn't turn into a problem as well

Offline Manual_automation

• Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster
  • Artwork is © Kalaharifox on DA (I did photo edit)
    • Awards
  • Species: Alaskan malamute
  • Coloring: light to dark grey with black on back and top of head, white underside (and lower head)
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: ~230lbs
  • Build: Fit
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 12:51:38 PM »
as animals become accustom to human presence they will venture closer and closer to our residence, it's pretty simple, they get over the initial fear of us being there then they just kinda roll in, at the job corps i live at waaaay up the the Oregon mountains deer and other animals walk right up to the back door of my dorm building and poke around. As for hunting them, i dunno, I'm an avid hunter myself, but i think it should only be used as population control or for subsistence hunting. (But I'm from Alaska so that's kinda a biased mindset lol)

oh, also, don't forget, humans are animals too, a coyote or deer has no reason to fear us more then a bear or another mammal as far as they're concerned.

"Fight fore hope and it is eternal, stop fighting, and it was never there." ^Happy to meet ya'^
~Andrew H.

Offline Armalite_

• Shoots to Thrill
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
  • For the phony tough and the crazy brave.
    • Fur Affinity
    • My FA
    • Awards
  • Species: Spotted Hyena
  • Coloring: White, brown, charcoal, and green
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 200 lbs.
  • Build: Toned
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 05:22:58 AM »
I think it really depends on where you are and how they're treated there. Where I live, people shoot coyotes on sight so I can't say I've ever had one walk up to me or anything. Where you are I think it's different. If you travel a lot to places far different than where you come from and watch the behavior of the same animal, you will notice a significant difference. Take squirrels for example, some places they eat right out of your hand, some places, you cant get more than 30 feet from them before they run for their lives.

Offline Moonraiser

• The Nightwalker
  • Yellow Yak
    • youtube
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 03:40:02 PM »
Personally i've never seen any coyotes in my area either, I can hear them howling all the time at night but they are like ghosts. When I think of it maybe this isn't the first time they have come down since they are so stealthy. And that sucks that where you live they are shot on sight.

Offline Armalite_

• Shoots to Thrill
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
  • For the phony tough and the crazy brave.
    • Fur Affinity
    • My FA
    • Awards
  • Species: Spotted Hyena
  • Coloring: White, brown, charcoal, and green
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 200 lbs.
  • Build: Toned
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 04:47:53 PM »
Yeah it does but it's because there's a lot of farms around that live stock would go missing.