The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Rant o' Frustration  (Read 492 times)

Offline Manual_automation

• Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster
  • Artwork is © Kalaharifox on DA (I did photo edit)
    • Awards
  • Species: Alaskan malamute
  • Coloring: light to dark grey with black on back and top of head, white underside (and lower head)
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: ~230lbs
  • Build: Fit
Rant o' Frustration
« on: July 07, 2009, 06:47:23 PM »
This has been nagging at me for a while and since I got nothing better to do, I'm just gonna let er' rip lol

So, to start off with I'm going frinik nuts ca's my 20th birthday is soon.... and I hate getting older more then anything, and I was thinking it over and wondering why I hate it, and I think it's because the older we get, the more we are expected to act a certain war or follow a certain standard. This is a HUGE problem for me because for some reason people seem to think I should act like a president all the time all prim and proper and mature. That's really hard for me ca's I'm just not that kind of guy, actually, I'm really far from it, so here I am, with all these expectations on me, and they are only going to get worse after I turn 20, and I know I can't meet them, and if I act like myself the world comes tumbling down around me, it's like living in someone's body that I hardly know O_o and trying to convince everyone I'm them, I'm frikin six foot two and built like a bear, not to mention the beard and such, and everyone expects me to be this huge manly man, but inside I'm a Bi furry that thinks and acts more like a puppy then anything else.....

._. It's really hard to live this way.......

"Fight fore hope and it is eternal, stop fighting, and it was never there." ^Happy to meet ya'^
~Andrew H.

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
  • Reference: [link]
Re: Rant o' Frustration
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 08:52:36 PM »
It's my 20th birthday! yaaaay!

I was going through the same thing you are cus I've always been quite intelligent and everyone has always expected me to have big ideas and big plans and big success. The thing is though, ever since i was like 7 years old I've just wanted to have a family and be a househusband for the rest of my life. because of all the success and the expectation and the constant reminder that I'm not reaching my potential yet, I've started to avoid achieving. I'm much happier for it because i can focus on the things i love and the things i want. I want to be mediocre.

I'm not saying you should act as i do, or that my idea of a good life should be for you, but I am saying that people may expect things from you or want things from you but if it doesnt work with you then it's not worth it. You are the most important person in your life and you should act accordingly. Some people might not like that, some people will think you are a failure and that certainly doesnt feel great but at the end of the day, that's their problem. They're the ones pushing you into a certain way of behaving and their the ones who dont want to accept who you are. You're the one who knows you best and that's all that matters. Just do what you want.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline Manual_automation

• Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster
  • Artwork is © Kalaharifox on DA (I did photo edit)
    • Awards
  • Species: Alaskan malamute
  • Coloring: light to dark grey with black on back and top of head, white underside (and lower head)
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: ~230lbs
  • Build: Fit
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 04:25:22 AM »
Woah, hoppy birthday! (horrid bunny pun lol)

and thanks for the advice, it's pretty much what i was already thinking, i just wish "Doing what I want" were so easy, it's a problem compounded by living in a Dormitory with my friends, but i will learn to cope.... Flexibility is the jewel of youth lol

"Fight fore hope and it is eternal, stop fighting, and it was never there." ^Happy to meet ya'^
~Andrew H.

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 01:56:15 PM »
It's never easy to let go of the restrictions placed upon you. You follow those restrictions for a reason, but you just have to take in the fact that the only reason for growing up at all is to find your place and your personality. Once you've found it, you need to grab it with both hands, that's the whole point of the past 20 years.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • It's all fire and brimstone, baby.
    • Awards
  • Species: Bull Were-ier
  • Build: Thick
  • Currently: apprehensive.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 04:15:55 AM »
Expectations. That's such a hard issue for me as I have a lot from many different people. They range from becoming a crazed serial killer to being an angry artist. Not saying I want to be a serial killer, just saying people expect me to be for some reason. I'm also apparently supposed to become this amazing artist that people want. It aggravates me because people expect so much out of me, and a lot of it is wrong. I have my own expectations, and that's to be a comic book artist and write my stories. :P

Really, you should just brush everyone's opinions off and go by your own expectations. You don't have to be a crowd pleaser so long as you please yourself. Heck, if your friends have a problem with it, maybe you should find some new ones. They're supposed to support you, not act like you're a leper.