The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: It's frightening  (Read 562 times)

Offline FursonMandela

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Kitsune
  • Coloring: Cerulean
  • Height: 5'11'
  • Weight: 110 lbs
It's frightening
« on: July 27, 2009, 08:16:28 AM »
Hello everybody. I'm new here, and as I'm not quite sure as to how the board culture works here, I'll try to be as polite as possible when I talk about this. I apologize for how terrible my name is (first name is Nelson, decided to go with a pun, please don't dog me for it), and try to be as grammatically correct as possible (I'm sixteen, trying to improve the style of my writing; if my attempt at large words is off-putting, I will stop) but please bear with me. As odd as this must sound, I have never joined a forum like this before - I guess it was from fear that I would be demonized. I won't boar you with unneeded details, and will try to get straight to the point: my life has taken a terrible shift; my family has discovered that I am a furry. She saw some things I wrote in an AIM log, and was extremely shocked. I'm not trying to demonize it, but my mother certainly is. I am so frustrated right now with the way my parents are behaving about this, that I am ready to duck tape my room shut. Yesterday, I told her I wanted to grow my hare out, and she wanted to know if it was because of my "animal obsession"! It's unbearable! My muleing about hasn't helped, I suppose. I've shut down completely. I have needed to get this out of my system, tell others. Just not in this way. I wish my family could accept me; this is like a rabbit joint to my body; I am incomplete - I don't see anything wrong about it like my mother and father do. My brothers make fun of me. It is horribly awful, and nobody seems to see what is at steak here - this is part of who I am. My very essense.

A few weeks back, right after this came to light, I had to get my car toad; my dad picked me up and gave me a speech about how "experimenting" is wrong. I don't understand what he thinks of this situation. I don't even want to know. It feels like udder nonsense; like complete rubbish. I feel extremely sad, maybe because of the lack of acceptance. I don't know what to think anymore. It's as if my entire life has been seeled shut. What can I do? What can function as my family and I's "pigeon"? Where can we find common ground? Will it be this way forever? Sorry if I have been a little bit dark in my posting - I am just so very confused. Is there anybody who has shared a similar experience? Thank you for reading, at the very least.

Offline jwig

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
Re: It's frightening
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 08:27:54 AM »
Nelson, I too have been down that river before. It was only last year that my parents discovered that I too was a furry. They discovered pictures on my computer and the sketches to my Robin suit. At first they were confused and worried but eventually they came around and accepted me for who I am. It may be hard for you at first but in time your parents will come to accept it.

Offline Vamp

• Off-The-Wall Guy
  • Foxy Fox
  • It's meh!
    • My FA
    • Awards
  • Species: Crow
  • Coloring: Black feathers, green eyes
  • Height: 5 feet 11 inches
  • Weight: 180 lbs.
  • Build: Slim
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 09:09:34 AM »
Hey, Nelson, ya did the right thing posting here. We are all about acceptance here, man. If your parents are freakin' out about it, just sit them down one day and tell them, let them know it's not some obbsession. The Internet has given us a bad name because of the 'Y' word, but regardless ya need to teel 'em about it, that it is just a way of expressing yourself. Hang in there dude, It's always darkest just before dawn.

Pet's name: Sion
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
"I used to be a freak, now I'm a freak with a camera."

"If I had a dime for every time I made sense, I'd be broke"

My Steam  : Vamp Altum

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 01:46:53 PM »
Things like that happened to me and i just thought "sack it, if they react like that, then that's their fault." Tell them that you're not gonna change and that they can accept it or not; their choice. being sixteen on its own is hard, and stuff like this happens. You just gotta realise that none of it matters. All that matters is that you do what you want to do, regardless of what people think or say. Also, telling your parents how they make you feel is a safe bet that something will change. No parent wants to hurt their child, though they might disregard it as being overdramatic.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project