The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Who Am I  (Read 1169 times)

Offline al-Kateb

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
Who Am I
« on: March 02, 2009, 04:39:11 PM »
Who am I?

I am a young college student. An English major, to be specific. Originally, I was a Computer Information Security major with a specialization in Linux Administration. I decided to pursue Literature and language because it is my truest passion. My favorite genre of literature is Fantasy.

I am not a furry. I do not have a fursona. I have never been a furry. My experience with anthropomorphic animals (aside from cartoons as a child) has been limited to the Redwall series of books and Disney's Robin Hood and The Jungle Book (the first of which I greatly enjoy). On the other hand, I am obviously not a fur-hater (or whatever the term is), because I feel sympathy pangs for the Anthropomorphic Animal community. It is simply a sub-culture that is considered somewhat eccentric and not very-well understood. I have nothing against Furries for simply liking Anthropomorphic Animals.

In fact, I believe that American culture is very well steeped in Furry culture. Ever since we are children, we are bombarded by Furry material. We grow up watching anthropomorphic animals in our cartoons, whether they be serious cartoons (such as the not-well-known animated movie The Little Red Fox) or comedy (like Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies). All throughout our childhood, we are very deeply immersed in Furryism. Children even pretend to be anthropomorphic animals; I know I did, when I was a child. To expect these people to simply abandon all of that rich heritage and culture is absurd. I do not believe that anyone can truly leave all of that behind.

Now, this is not to say that every single person has a little Fursona hidden deep inside of himself. I believe that we are trained to be able to take Anthropomorphic Animals in a serious context. I believe that every person has the capability to appreciate and enjoy Anthropomorphic Animals, even if he does not personally subscribe to the "Furry" sub-culture.

I fit into that category. I am not a Furry, nor do I ever intend to be one. I can, however, appreciate and enjoy the non-fetishistic aspects of the Furry sub-culture, as I'm sure every person can, even if they deign to hate it all, instead. That's why I am here. To enjoy the furry sub-culture.

Now, this may sound contradictory (and it may be, but I'm not sure), but I do thoroughly enjoy one particular Anthropomorphic Animal species. I believe that the universally accepted term for this species is "Anubian" (although I hate that term, believing it to be an absurd misnomer; Egypt does not have a monopoly on all jackals). I have, therefore, as of today, begun to scour the Internet looking for other people who may also thoroughly enjoy Anubians (i.e. Furries). It just so happens that if you type "furry forum" into Google, this site is the first one to come up.

It does not appear that there are any fellow Anubian-Lovers here on this particular site, but that does not mean that I won't stick around.

Just for the sake of conversation, other hobbies of mine are history (especially American, European, and Middle Eastern), video games (although I do not have a next-gen system yet), and economics. I obviously speak fluent English, but I also know conversational German (and I can read it well enough), and I'm learning Arabic. I also delve thoroughly into religion and religious studies, with a specialization in Roman Catholicism (both theology and history). I am in the process of learning about Islam. I also, obviously, write (being an English major). I may write-up and post some 'Anubian' (I hate that word) fiction.

And you may simply call me "al-Kateb," which is Arabic for "The Writer."

Offline Renaud Magicpaw

• Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster
  • Watch my paws, and they will do things unheard of
    • Awards
  • Species: Lombolf
  • Height: 5' 10" "
  • Weight: 165
  • Build: tubby
Re: Who Am I
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 05:13:14 PM »
Welcome to the site.
Read the left column then the right column

Times change, and promises are broken        |   Life is short
Life goes on and yet it stops                        |   Yet the soul is eternal
I have much to give so have this token         |   Your words a port
And get some chocolate from the shops        |   For feelings, internal

Life is short so do not wait                          |   Go seek the love
Take love by the horns                               |   Who's soul is yours
Loyalty is a wonderful trait                           |   They are your dove
But be wary of a rose's thorns                     |   Who's love is lores

Things that live                               |   Join now in the search
Must always die                               |   And find your love
Yet do not dive                              |   They'll be your perch
Into this lie                                     |   As you are their dove

Offline furry biohazard

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 05:26:12 PM »
 :)hi I'm new to enjoy your stay
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 07:38:50 PM by Syra Reikan »

Offline Sparky15756

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster
  • A Wolf Amongst 'Roos
    • Fur Affinity
    • Twitter
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf and Lucario, no hybrid
  • Coloring: Wolf: Red 'n' Pink - Lucario: Red 'n' White (instead of Blue & Black)
  • Height: 5'' 7
  • Weight: 116lbs
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Pondering the future demise
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 05:49:23 PM »
gaaha ... well there goes my intro template xD

welcome to the forum
With 955 characters for a signature, I can try make something funny or interesting but no, I'm just gonna sit here and type instead of going to work because breaking the fourth wall is more humour than trying to figure out how I'll get access to my other laptop; picking up my charger that I left at a friends house, around 40 miles away...

Good going Sparky, you did well. On the plus side, it's given you a chance to accidentally revisit some old stomping grounds and see what madness you can create during this seemingly temporarily return.

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 06:02:34 PM »
There are a few non-furs around here that still get along with us just fine. So you're not alone. :)

Welcome to FF!

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline furry biohazard

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 06:26:31 PM »
whats a non fur im :) new

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 06:30:38 PM »

Non-furs are people who aren't furries.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline furry biohazard

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 08:39:10 PM »

Non-furs are people who aren't furries.
thanx your really helpful :D