The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: My Fursona Picture  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Somebody

• Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
My Fursona Picture
« on: May 15, 2008, 01:06:20 PM »
I was on deviant art and I was going to pay this artist for a professional portait of my fursona. I've wanted one for so long and when I found one to do it I was overjoyed. I went into expecting to pay a decent amount but it was worth it to me since I lack artistic talent. (Just look for Dispsosaurus on Dev and you will see what I mean) Anyways and we agreed on 30$ on the picture or 150$ if I wanted to buy the rights to it. I thought ok that seemed reasonable. Naturally I wanted to pay 150$, I didn't want anybody owning or using a picture of my fursona thats blasphemous to even think about.

But yesterday he gets done with the lineart for it and asks for the pay, but mentions that it will be either 30$, 150$ for medium rights or 300$ for full rights and a stop sign went off in my head. I couldn't believe it. He told me 150$ for the rights to the picture he never mentioned 300$. Why should I have to pay 300$ for a picture of my own fursona. Even if it was reasonable thats not what we agreed on. He never once mentioned 300$ nor does his commision page. So it looks like I might not be getting my picture after all

I was so excited about. I couldn't wait to have it for once I had something to look forward to. Now I'm back to my usual depressed self. Will anything ever go right for me.

ephemral

Re: My Fursona Picture
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 09:09:42 PM »
Perhaps you can kindly ask him to go back to the original price.

Meaning that you get your picture with full rights for $150.  ((Full rights even meaning commercial rights))
If not end the deal right there. Don't compromise. I mean it.

Do make sure everything is mentioned and agreed on before any money is payed.

To be honest that sounds quite steep for a price. Just how professional is this person?
Where do they employ their skills? How well known is this person?
If they're just some random artist with a DA page you don't need to
inflate their head any more than it already is.

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • It's all fire and brimstone, baby.
    • Awards
  • Species: Bull Were-ier
  • Build: Thick
  • Currently: apprehensive.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 01:09:46 AM »
Heck, as soon as my life settles, I could do you something decent for a cheaper price than that.
http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/nightdragon/

Offline Somebody

• Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 02:41:42 PM »
He tried to remain rigid in his price but I flat out turned him down. It wasn't what I agreed on to begin with. One of my major concerns was, without the rights, he would put it up on the site and people would steal the picture if they liked it and others would be runnin around with my fursona picture. I just couldn't allow it. Secondly without the rights he could sell it to somebody else. Granted I have the rights to the character but not the picture. It was too much of a risk for me to take. My fursona is mine alone I won't share it with anybody. Its too important to me.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed, I really liked his style of work and when I saw the lineart I was sure I would have something special. I've always been so proud of my fursona, I have more pride in it then I do for myself. I really wanted that picture. I don't think I could possibly describe in words what it would mean to me.

Just another disappointment. Someday.

I appreciate the offer Rigor.

BTW here is the guy I was commisioning to do the work. Link     It wasn't that he was a hyper real artist that made me choose him, it was his style that I liked and thought it would be good for my picture. Unfortunately he is an idiot who accuses me of leading him on so I could steal a lineart from him. Which I didn't even do so much as link much less steal
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 01:12:26 AM by Dispsosaurus »

ephemral

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 07:10:01 PM »
His web site is too simple and incomplete for my taste.
and too many pictures shown on his sight listed as "for personal use".
He may be good, but I wouldn't trust him for anything.
I'm guessing if you had got the commercial rights he still would have posted it somewhere. lol

Offline NalaFontaine

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: feline
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 11:48:59 PM »
what that guy?!?! :shcoked: Dispsosaurus?!?!
looked at the dA page of his, his drawing is bad :(
his characters are stiff in posture and he doesn't seem to understand proportions.
I draw LOADS better than this guy.
(ps I do commissions too check my own dA page)

Don't Necro threads over 2 weeks old. This one is almost 1 year old.
Vosur
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 11:51:23 AM by Vosur »
SHUSH! I'm thinking...