The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Amazon cracking down on independent publishers -- us too.  (Read 2704 times)

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
Re: Amazon cracking down on independent publishers -- us too.
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 03:23:31 PM »
I still think advertising your books on popular furry sites (if possible) is your best bet. You could do searches for furry art or furry fiction sites and stuff like that and probably find some that offer the ad space. Have you tried working with any other online book sellers similar to Amazon? While they may not be as popular, it might still help with sales.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Osfer

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Bad Dog
  • Height: 6 foot fine!
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 03:31:39 PM »
We're experimenting with that kind of advertising this month, in fact. You may see the ads here and there :)

The performance in terms of clickthroughs is quite modest, we furries are such an internet-savvy bunch that our optical cortex filters out most ads we see on webpages -- but it's a start.

We're put a few feelers out, but the general consensus is that at this point we're not big enough to be a proper affiliate or partner, and at the same time, there aren't any other companies out there that offer the same kind of third-party services that Amazon offered.

Our eyes and ears are open :)

Offline [D.E.M] zetsumei

• Kuddly Kitten
  • CRAB BATTLE!
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 01:55:39 PM »
they probably dont even know what the book is about, its all about how much a book sells, and if it doest sell good, they take it off the shelves to reduce costs of ordering the book at the publisher, very simple, and it has nothing to do with furries, its just bussiness,

the fact that the book was anthro, was probably just a coincidence (this was only directed at the persons who actually thought it had something to do with the fandom)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 03:40:03 PM by Deus Ex Machina »

Offline Osfer

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: Bad Dog
  • Height: 6 foot fine!
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »
It's nothing against furries, but it *is* against smaller publishers. The programs Amazon.com runs actually doesn't cost them anything. Instead of buying copies from the publisher, this program requires the publisher to send Amazon the copies they ask for free of charge. Only when Amazon sells a copy, is the publisher paid for it.

That's what made this development so peculiar; this program's an insanely good deal for Amazon.com, so shutting it down makes very little sense, unless they're actively trying to stifle the developing small-press market.

Offline ¿ Jesse Pawman ?

• SILENCE! I BAN YOU!
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Top 100 Most Online This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 10 Poster
  • purrrrrrr...... here, have a cowlick :3
    • My blog.
    • Awards
  • Species: human
  • Height: six foot one inch
  • Build: round
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 03:30:15 AM »
I'm not an expert in advertising but I would like to say something.

If I ran your company, I probably wouldn't put it into mainstream quite yet, however, slowly build up to it. Try getting in contact with another selling site that might be able to sell your products, or possibly start your own.
MySpace

"when life gives you lemons, make apple juice and have the whole world wonder how you did it."- unknown

I HAVE TO CONSTANTLY REMIND MYSELF I'M A GROWNUP AND IT'S JUST THE INTERNET.

Offline [D.E.M] zetsumei

• Kuddly Kitten
  • CRAB BATTLE!
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 08:42:16 PM »
I'm not an expert in advertising but I would like to say something.

If I ran your company, I probably wouldn't put it into mainstream quite yet, however, slowly build up to it. Try getting in contact with another selling site that might be able to sell your products, or possibly start your own.

i agree, you could also try to find a random local bookstore, or a library or something