The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Trying to get my friends in the fandom pls help  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Prickle The Dutch Dragon

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • I love Prickly Pears ❤
    • Awards
  • Species: Dutch Angel Dragon
  • Coloring: Green and White
  • Height: 6ft 2"
  • Currently: Excited
Trying to get my friends in the fandom pls help
« on: July 04, 2017, 07:13:43 PM »
I am trying to get my friends into the fandom but they don't really understand. So I'm thinking because they like to have fun and be CRAZY I think they would like it. How do I introduce it to them. :?
  • Signature art by: Me
🐲Prickle🐉

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
Re: Trying to get my friends in the fandom pls help
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 07:56:33 PM »
First of all I would suggest not to try and force it on them. Feel free to just talk to them about it and explain it to them but remember that they'll probably like it a lot more if you don't try and beg/force them to join.
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Michen_S

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A wild MICHEN appeared!
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Feral snow leopard
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 08:51:04 PM »
Just explain to them what it is, and what it means to you. Don't explain to them what it isn't, because then they start to focus on that. Also, just treat it as a hobby you really like. The bigger of a fuzz you make about it, the more likely it is that they'll think it's something that should stay secret.

If you want you can use your creativity to give them a better idea of what it is. You can show them your favourite artwork, show them pictures of a fursuit, create a furry drawing for this situation, mention famous anthro characters, tell them about this amazing furcon you've been to... I'm just giving some examples here, you can fill in whatever here.

If you wish, you can carefully test the waters to see if they already have an opinion of it. If they don't, you can introduce them. If they do, you can ask them why they have said opinion, no matter if it's positive or negative, and you can play in on that if you wish.

I wish you good luck!

Offline Brisky

• Awkward armour
  • Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • Spooky, isn't it?
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: WereTonk
  • Coloring: Black with gold stripes
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 09:47:55 PM »
In my opinion, it might be good to dismiss the thought that most furries are directly associated with zoo's and vorers, and other messed up stuff...

Offline Prickle The Dutch Dragon

• Vibrating Furby
  • I love Prickly Pears ❤
    • Awards
  • Species: Dutch Angel Dragon
  • Coloring: Green and White
  • Height: 6ft 2"
  • Currently: Excited
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 02:16:12 AM »
Thanks for the help :)
  • Signature art by: Me
🐲Prickle🐉

Offline Captain Degenerate

• Boisterous Bear
  • NO UGLY ALLWD RUN CUSTOMER AWAY
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: A something
  • Coloring: Its got color but I dont have the skill to color it!
  • Height: 5:5.235647834233536684
  • Weight: 120 pounds
  • Build: Skinny?
  • Currently: Addicted to the booty.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 04:25:50 PM »
I am trying to get my friends into the fandom but they don't really understand. So I'm thinking because they like to have fun and be CRAZY I think they would like it. How do I introduce it to them. :?
How about don't try and just let them if they are.

Simple as that you cant force people.
I hope my big gay butt doesn't get any bigger or gayer!

Offline Malina

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Malina is here and deffo queer
    • Awards
  • Species: Border collie
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 04:43:32 PM »
Really just let people discover it themselves, don't try to force it on them else they'll just start to hate it
The best thing you could probably do is to be open about you being a furry (without being cringe) and then let them discover it themselves from there, but also be open to explain anything

If they ask about the **darker** side of it then just explain that it's there and some people enjoy it, but you particularly don't (unless you do ;) ). But I wouldn't even mention it in the first place (same way that if you say don't think of cats, they'll probably think of cats), and don't try and say "It's only a small minority which does it !!" because that just makes you sound like you're in denial.
[/URL]

Malach1te -- Marauder

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 07:47:19 PM »
You can't really 'force' someone to like the fandom. You do or you don't. I always explain it as a "liking for cartoon animals", which most people seem to understand.

Most people find fandoms on their own, maybe just guide them to yours?

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 100 Poster
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 07:50:13 PM »
Thread's a bit old, but I recommend not trying to control what other people should like. :P