The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: What do you study?  (Read 4623 times)

Offline L. Jay Echoes

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • I have a pigasus, too.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Pig/Bat/Devil
  • Coloring: Blue
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 99 lbs
  • Build: Short and trim
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: refreshingly busy
Re: What do you study?
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2018, 06:25:46 PM »

Formally, I have a BA in English with a minor in psychology.

Informally, the four main branches of my intellectual pursuits are Literature, Psychology, Biology, and

Anthropoloy. Those are the four main lenses through which I observe the world.

Specifically, I look at everything that doesn't happen to me as a plot device. E.g, Everything is going normal,

something disrupts the routine, the people involved strive to return their circumstance to homeostasis, then

something disrupts that, everyone tries to restore their surroundings in a way that will enable them to return

to homeostasis, then THAT is disrupted, etc... Within these disruptions, any individual might uncover a solution

that will bring some restoration; after all, this process happens in both microcosm and macrocosm. Ultimately,

though, nothing is static. Some vessel of opposition will always turn up.

My psychological lens involves the symbolism within the world, and the discrepencies between the individual

impacts they have on multiple people; the symbols themselves are, I daresay, fixed. The ideas they represent are

not. Within the separate minds of the people who encounter them, there is at least a slight difference, albeit

one whose measurement depends entirely on the honesty of the person reporting it. Invisibilia's Season 3 episode

gives the example of black bears in a rural Minnesota town: Are they a brutal, lethal menace, liable to maul you

should you get too close, or are they a widely misunderstood sweetheart who's supposed inclination to attack can

be easily circumvented with the proper respect?

Less pronounced but still present is my Biological view of things. We're all trapped within the bones, blood and

organs we are born with, and most of what we experience is shaped by their function. Ever wondered how strawberries see the world? If individual trees have personalities? What a holocaust among bacteria would look like? If fungus could afford to be picky, what would inspire it? Whether or not Daffodils have free will? Actually, I've never wondered any of these things, but I like the way they sound now that I've typed them out. Gonna post about O. Henry's "Tale of a Tainted Tenner" in the "Odd Book" thread after this.

Then there's my interest in Anthropology, which is pretty much a culmination of the aforementioned lenses applied to mankind, specifically. I like looking up some specific region's cultural backstory, what environmental factors sculpted the social factors, and what social factors sculpted the scope of individual personality.

I got carried away in describing this. I'm not really studying at the moment, I'll do that when Autumn rolls around. But yeah, that's what I go and read up on.
  • Signature art by: Me again
What did the toilet say to the bath tub?

"I'm hungry for an apple."