The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Zeus Virus?  (Read 1099 times)

Offline Rocco Rex

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
    • Awards
  • Species: German Shepherd
Zeus Virus?
« on: May 22, 2017, 05:43:21 PM »
I was browsing Yahoo using Mozilla Firefox as my browser. This is a Windows 8(pretty sure 8.1) laptop that I don't allow Microsoft to update.

Anyway. I was just browsing Yahoo when all of a sudden, without clicking on anything, it changed to a white screen with text. Think I read something about "Zeus Virus" before it changed to a new screen with VERY adult images. By then I had closed the tab. Currently running a Norton virus scan, hasn't detected anything yet.
Anyone know what this is?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 05:45:11 PM by Rocco Rex »

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
Re: Zeus Virus?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 06:39:49 PM »
Norton is pretty useless tbh, I wouldn't recommend it at all.

Try using the free version of this one for running a scan and see what it says (it's not an antivirus replacement though!)

https://www.malwarebytes.com/
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Rocco Rex

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
    • Awards
  • Species: German Shepherd
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 06:52:38 PM »
I have to use Norton. dad decrees that we shall use Norton because he's a dumbass, even though I've shown multiple sources saying Norton is garbage

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 06:55:30 PM »
I have to use Norton. dad decrees that we shall use Norton because he's a dumbass, even though I've shown multiple sources saying Norton is garbage

Ouch, right ..

Well, do try the one I linked and see how that works (it's just a scanner so it won't interfere with norton)
Proud to be a furry!

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 01:27:53 PM »
Keep in mind if you're not experiencing any other symptoms and your AV isn't picking anything up you may be fine.

What probably happened is you were redirected to a malicious trojan webpage that informed you that your computer had a virus (even though it didn't) in order to get you to click things (like a proposed Anti virus). Because you clicked on the webpage it would have redirected to a funded adult site or something.

Point is unless you downloaded something or you're experiencing symptoms outside of your web browser (or your web-browsers default webpage has changed or something) you should be fine, the virus scare was just the attackers trying to trick you.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";