The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: So just how have you dealt with...  (Read 2968 times)

Offline Mr. Meerkat

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter
  • Meerkat World
    • YouTube
    • Awards
  • Species: Meerkat
  • Coloring: Brown
  • Height: Average
  • Weight: Light
  • Build: Mascular
Re: So just how have you dealt with...
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 10:30:30 AM »
As i will say "United we stand"
Respect The Elders.
Teach The Young.
Cooperate With The Family.
Play When You Can.
Work When You Should.
Rest In Between.
Share Your Affection.
Voice Your Feelings.
Leave Your Mark.

Offline Rhakshi

• Feudal Lord of the Warzone
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster
  • huzzah!
    • Awards
  • Species: Panther
  • Coloring: black, kind of grey
  • Height: 5'11
  • Weight: 132
  • Build: Slim, agile,
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 02:41:50 AM »
make fun of the humies o.o and then laugh.
don't get mad get sadistic
on "imvu" I am Rhakshi. How original                        
and heres the link for you lazy bums out there
http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_mypage.php?user=5238336

Offline [D.E.M] zetsumei

• Kuddly Kitten
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • CRAB BATTLE!
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 06:53:58 AM »
if humies is refering to humans, i dont get it... you are a human too, so how are you going to make fun of em?

Offline Pibi

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
  • Species: Antropomorph
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 01:03:04 PM »
Now that was direct hit >_<
Ur pitiless xD
I think that 'humies' meant those who are blind and can't live without flaming each other, destroying earth and causing conflicts. All humanity is cursed so it's nothing wrong in reject roots ;P

Offline [D.E.M] zetsumei

• Kuddly Kitten
  • CRAB BATTLE!
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 03:50:08 PM »
ah, so he he meant the rotten part of human civilisation? tell me about em... lucky that most havent found out therian yet :P

Offline DaiRraito IS, FurryLAE.

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2008, 12:53:39 AM »
RHAKSHI!!
Don't slaughter the English language please!  XD

Offline Amaroq

• Avid Aardvark
  • Wolf Mage
    • Amaroq.org
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Black
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 185 lb
  • Build: Moderately slender.
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2008, 05:22:22 AM »
I think that they don't simply do it to get a reaction out of who they pick on. They do it because they want to feel superior, and to do that they have to make their target look like they're as low as dirt in comparison to themselves.

When someone reacts to them, it isn't the fact that they're reacting that makes the troll feel like what they're doing is working. It's how the person reacts. People, us furries included, tend to get defensive when someone trolls us about our beliefs. Even if we believe there's nothing wrong with being furry, we know that society thinks there's something wrong with it and therefore we feel we have to defend ourselves when someone trolls us.

Now, when someone gets defensive against a troll, the defendant immediately begins to look like the lower out of the two. If there was nothing wrong with being furry, the defendant would have no reason to defend themselves.

Another problem is that the people who do take an offensive stance often do it weakly. It's usually "well you're doing something wrong too", which is still defensive. "Well, you're ruining the earth." for example. Not only do they get to pick on you for being a furry, they get to pick on you for siding with the scaredy-cat environmentalists as well. Not that I think there's anything wrong with being environmentalist. It's just that environmentalists often fight back weakly and defensively just like many furries do. Either way, wording your retort like that puts you in a defensive position.

And even if you do take a strong offensive position on them, perhaps hurling insults at them, the most you're going to get on them is equality. You won't be a subordinate to pick on anymore. You'll be a challenge that they won't be able to step down from if their pride has anything to say about it. You're probably still going to look lower than them because you're reacting to them, which means that you must be lower than them if they can bother you.

The trick to this is to become their superior. You have to speak to them in such a way that you make them feel like they're the lower one. You have to speak to them as if you seriously don't care about them. Speak calmly. Don't lose your cool. Speak your insults to them indirectly, in an implied manner so they come to the conclusion that they're being insulted rather than you making it clear to them. You don't have to directly insult them because if you're better than them, they can't bother you, and therefore they don't merit the attention for an insult.

If you become the one who doesn't care about them and they continue to insult you, it's because they've been placed in the position where they're having to start looking up at you when they talk to you. They don't like that, and it bothers the hell out of them that they can't bring you down to their level. Put them in the defensive position for the win. They might not stop attempting to bring you down, but that way you are the winner and they feel like the loser.

Maybe it's because I'm a nerd (and proud of it). Maybe it's because I'm a Wolf. Maybe it's both. But I've spent a lot of time thinking about things like this from time to time. Considering why people act and react the way they do and putting it in the perspective of dominance and submissiveness. I think that in order to win against these kinds of people, you can't look up at them and defend yourself from their onslaught. You have to be able to at least pretend to look down your nose at them so that they are the ones who feel bad instead of you.

EDIT: Coming to that conclusion is one thing. Practicing it is something entirely different. Haha.
I can force myself to do it that way online if I need to. But I'm too shy and easily intimidated IRL to ever stand up to a troll in person like that.

ANOTHER EDIT:
A good example.
Troll: You ***********
You: Whatever, loser.

It's a bit direct, but it's still nice in that you're not only dismissing them as a loser, but you're dismissing them! You're not even putting forth the effort to explain to them why they're a loser. You're just shooing them away. Shooing them away not only implies that they're not important enough to maintain your attention, but it makes them seethe with self-doubt that you think yourself far enough above them to be able to dismiss them so easily.

LAST EDIT, I SWEAR:
When you really think about it, the troll is already lower than yourself for going out of their way to try to insult you in the first place. As long as you don't let them get the upper hand, the win is yours.
Partial censorship is not allowed.
Ephemral
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 09:47:55 PM by Ephemral »
He who seeks fame will lose his soul. But he who seeks creation will find it.

Offline Pibi

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
  • Species: Antropomorph
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2008, 02:49:23 PM »
The trick to this is to become their superior. You have to speak to them in such a way that you make them feel like they're the lower one. You have to speak to them as if you seriously don't care about them. Speak calmly. Don't lose your cool. Speak your insults to them indirectly, in an implied manner so they come to the conclusion that they're being insulted rather than you making it clear to them. You don't have to directly insult them because if you're better than them, they can't bother you, and therefore they don't merit the attention for an insult.
Duh? No invective? No foul language? Drive in some IQ to their childish minds with their own weapon without losing your cool ;d

lucky that most havent found out therian yet
Or maybe they found out but don't care bout it cuz it's not physical aspect but spiritual ;p

Offline [D.E.M] zetsumei

• Kuddly Kitten
  • CRAB BATTLE!
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2008, 04:50:28 PM »
Or maybe they found out but don't care bout it cuz it's not physical aspect but spiritual ;p

sure, its spiritual, but furry is also spiritual to some extent, its not your body telling you to pull on that suit, is it? but its only for the better if they dont care about it :P
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 10:10:51 PM by machinimamaster »

ephemral

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2008, 09:53:49 PM »
Your example, Amaroq, is a poor response to a troll.
By hurling an insult whether implied or not is an instant defeat.
In that case you are lowering yourself even lower than them.
If you want superiority you don't respond.

Offline DaiRraito IS, FurryLAE.

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2008, 03:35:37 AM »
Yes, Eph's got a point...
Most trolls get P'd off if you don't respomd tp them.

Offline Amaroq

• Avid Aardvark
  • Wolf Mage
    • Amaroq.org
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Black
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 185 lb
  • Build: Moderately slender.
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2008, 04:09:28 AM »
Yeah, not responding is better. Hehe, then they feel ignored and you don't sink to their level and respond.
He who seeks fame will lose his soul. But he who seeks creation will find it.

Offline Hraesvelgn

• Vibrating Furby
  • Timber!
    • Hraesvelgn's IMVU Homepage
    • Awards
  • Species: Vulpes Vulpes
  • Coloring: Red and White
  • Height: 6"0
  • Weight: 180lb
  • Build: Medium/Muscular
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2008, 07:50:08 PM »
I used to be the kind who would basically use lots and lots of sarcasm to try and 'out-insult' the troller, which I'm now fairly ashamed of as it makes me look almost as pathetic as the one who kicked the argument off. If you find the kind of person who just seems to be asking for a flame war, the best thing you can do is just simply ignore them. Why should we try and explain our way of thinking to those who won't listen? My way of dealing with them now is, in the words of the legendary Dylan Moran, 'I'd go away, and thing about what I WOULD have done to them - if they'd been tied up!'
We want the finest wines available to humanity. And we want them here, and we want them now!

Offline Xegras

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Pirate Beaver
    • Awards
  • Species: Beaver
  • Coloring: Brownish
  • Height: 5'11''
  • Weight: 180
  • Build: Muscular
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2008, 10:31:07 PM »
If you go to any of there websites you will notice one thing in common. They do it for the "lulz" so no "lulz" no fun for them. If you respond in anyway they get what they want. Whenever i get flamed either jokingly or seriously i go along with them and let them do it without responding or just agreeing with them. Which confuses them when you don't get mad and of course a confused troll is not having fun so they stop.

Offline [D.E.M] zetsumei

• Kuddly Kitten
  • CRAB BATTLE!
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2008, 10:32:19 PM »
If you go to any of there websites you will notice one thing in common. They do it for the "lulz" so no "lulz" no fun for them. If you respond in anyway they get what they want. Whenever i get flamed either jokingly or seriously i go along with them and let them do it without responding or just agreeing with them. Which confuses them when you don't get mad and of course a confused troll is not having fun so they stop.

isnt lulz that 'anonymous' thing? those guys that take the internet way, way, way to serious?