The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Magic the gathering  (Read 4526 times)

Offline Ori

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter
  • "You can't see me" - John Cena
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Warm Grey, red, black
  • Height: 5ft 6 ish,
  • Weight: 140
  • Build: Skinny, Scrawny.
  • Currently: Working on college homework
Re: Magic the gathering
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2016, 01:52:36 AM »
I'm a fan ^.^ Me and my friend's used to play (With old cards since none of us wanted to keep buying out brand new cards for each set.) I generally played Simic Hydras. (I however only played since the release of Return to Ravnica.)

The whole old Phyrexian thing to me also sort of epitomizes old Magic vs new Magic. Take Phyrexian Negator, for instance. When that card came out it was amazing, even with that crazy drawback. Now it is something few people would ever consider using because the power curve has just shot up exponentially since it was released. The days where Tempest was new, which is when I started playing, are so much different than the environment now. The game is a lot more refined these days, that's for sure. I can't outright say that it is better though. Maybe just vastly different.

True. Games will evolve, and it kind of reminds me of things like mmos, oddly enough. With new expansions and such they have to increase level cap and item caps. I think that's why I got out of MTG for a long time, it felt like the new aspects and features made it a little bit of a mix of over complication, and yet too easy. But that could just be me being a stubborn jerk, I suppose.

Again, I feel the same that it's smoothed, but it doesn't necessarily mean best.

Lol this is exactly how I feel about Yugioh.
My name is Ori.

I am totally not trying to impersonate Edward Scissorhands. Who is that anyway?
Also I am humming this is Halloween.
Also John Cena Memes don't die. (John Cena theme blares in background)

Offline Calun the Bat

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • But Nobody Came
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Spectacled Flying Fox
  • Coloring: dark brown main, sandy/gold secondary, assorted blues. Black/maroon eyes.
  • Height: 6' 00"
  • Weight: 185
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2016, 04:11:53 AM »
Very cool! I tried a deck for each color in the old days, but it never worked out. lol I did try my best to make a Kavu deck, but bleh. Cards didn't compliment one another.

Fun story; I had a Merrow Witsniper take out Akroma, Angel of Wrath. XD

I definitely hear you on the buying new cards thing. It got reeeeeally annoying wth how often they put new editions out. Made t annoying to try and keep up with for sure, and combined with the way some abilities and ways of gameplay evolution tht kept being put in so fast was a lot of what pushed me away.

I'm a fan ^.^ Me and my friend's used to play (With old cards since none of us wanted to keep buying out brand new cards for each set.) I generally played Simic Hydras. (I however only played since the release of Return to Ravnica.)

The whole old Phyrexian thing to me also sort of epitomizes old Magic vs new Magic. Take Phyrexian Negator, for instance. When that card came out it was amazing, even with that crazy drawback. Now it is something few people would ever consider using because the power curve has just shot up exponentially since it was released. The days where Tempest was new, which is when I started playing, are so much different than the environment now. The game is a lot more refined these days, that's for sure. I can't outright say that it is better though. Maybe just vastly different.

True. Games will evolve, and it kind of reminds me of things like mmos, oddly enough. With new expansions and such they have to increase level cap and item caps. I think that's why I got out of MTG for a long time, it felt like the new aspects and features made it a little bit of a mix of over complication, and yet too easy. But that could just be me being a stubborn jerk, I suppose.

Again, I feel the same that it's smoothed, but it doesn't necessarily mean best.

Lol this is exactly how I feel about Yugioh.
"The world is what you make of it, sir! If it doesn't fit, you make alterations."

Offline Halei-Helai

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A strange thing indeed.
    • Awards
  • Species: Lahaian
  • Coloring: White with black stripes
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 125 lb
  • Build: Svelte
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2016, 12:40:39 PM »
Very cool! I tried a deck for each color in the old days, but it never worked out. lol I did try my best to make a Kavu deck, but bleh. Cards didn't compliment one another.

I tried making a sliver deck once or twice so I could finally use my Sliver Queen that I pulled from a Stronghold booster waaaaaay back in the day, but could never get it to work properly. I didn't feel like buying a bunch of singles for an unproven deck either. I almost invariably stick to two colors, but I sometimes think about building a Necra deck since I think the W/G/B color combo is an interesting one.

Quote from: Vampyrum
I definitely hear you on the buying new cards thing. It got reeeeeally annoying wth how often they put new editions out. Made t annoying to try and keep up with for sure, and combined with the way some abilities and ways of gameplay evolution tht kept being put in so fast was a lot of what pushed me away.

I just buy singles every so often when I want to update my decks (though I have been out of the game for a while, so I haven't recently). I have found that buying singles tends to be more economical than grinding through boosters. I guess one advantage of playing Vintage like I do is that you don't have to update terribly often. I think the average age of the cards in my suicide black deck is around 10 years or so, and it is mean enough that modern replacements are very rare. You'll never see another Necropotence again!
Sorcerous sage and cataloger of curiosities
---------------
Feel free to PM me. I am always up for a conversation!

Offline guanno1249

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • Species: Canine
  • Coloring: White
  • Height: 5.7
  • Weight: 223
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: Curious
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 10:25:29 AM »
Anyone here play Magic the gathering? If so what formats and what kind of decks do you play?
I play magic every Friday, I play mostly every format besides legacy, vintage is my favorite format the community is amazing. Standard has been garbage, pauper is a fun format I play but want more people to play,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MisterCarey991

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2016, 10:04:17 PM »
Yes, I do.
Modern Belcher is my main deck!

Offline Calun the Bat

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • But Nobody Came
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Coloring: dark brown main, sandy/gold secondary, assorted blues. Black/maroon eyes.
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2016, 04:48:19 AM »

I tried making a sliver deck once or twice so I could finally use my Sliver Queen that I pulled from a Stronghold booster waaaaaay back in the day, but could never get it to work properly. I didn't feel like buying a bunch of singles for an unproven deck either. I almost invariably stick to two colors, but I sometimes think about building a Necra deck since I think the W/G/B color combo is an interesting one.

I just buy singles every so often when I want to update my decks (though I have been out of the game for a while, so I haven't recently). I have found that buying singles tends to be more economical than grinding through boosters. I guess one advantage of playing Vintage like I do is that you don't have to update terribly often. I think the average age of the cards in my suicide black deck is around 10 years or so, and it is mean enough that modern replacements are very rare. You'll never see another Necropotence again!

Yeah. I totally agree. Two is the most I used myself. Which was kind of what killed my Kavu. Red and Green Kavu were good staples, but so many tactics, even simple, needed 3 or so to be particularly well oiled. lol My vampire deck circa... er... Whatever came after Apocalypse... was pretty fun, but kind of messy in a 'let's use this maybe twice out of five games' kind of way. I rocked the Baron just because he looked cool. lol

But yeah, hand selecting is how I worked on my Vampires, Merfolk, and sooooort of just to have generic and only moderately themed decks. (Like Ihsan's Shade who I rolled with for a time, also 'because he is cool'. Boosters are fun to open, but I feel like the glory days of booster packs is well in the past. At least for me.

In fairness I have gotten about two free pre-made decks as gifts, and one of those rat ninja decks from Kamigawa just because it was cheap at the time. lol
"The world is what you make of it, sir! If it doesn't fit, you make alterations."

Offline Halei-Helai

• Handsome Horse
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2016, 12:20:43 PM »
Boosters are fun to open, but I feel like the glory days of booster packs is well in the past. At least for me.

For sure for me too. Not that they are completely without appeal. I wouldn't have a Mox Diamond without them, so they count for something.
---------------

Offline Calun the Bat

• Chatty Cheetah
  • But Nobody Came
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2016, 11:18:11 PM »
For sure for me too. Not that they are completely without appeal. I wouldn't have a Mox Diamond without them, so they count for something.

You know, ironically, my best luck is with Pokemon cards. And I've never built any playing decks for that game. I just collected because I loved the Pokemon.

My MtG booster luck was pretty alright. I'd need to dig them up, but I'd give my average high card a 7.5/10 for rarity and usefulness.

Trying to think what my best would be but honestly I can't. lol

Offline Ori

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter
  • "You can't see me" - John Cena
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Warm Grey, red, black
  • Height: 5ft 6 ish,
  • Weight: 140
  • Build: Skinny, Scrawny.
  • Currently: Working on college homework
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2016, 11:41:10 PM »
Luck with booster packs? In the course of a life time? hehe... ;-;
I think I bought about 6 packs of yugioh cards one time (I was like ten at the time) Trying to get one card, and I got every other card. (And one useful rare card in holographic rare.) I never, ever get a card I particularly want. My friend who started playing, however. First few days (Within at least 5 or 6 packs). He pulls a Chandra
(All of us: Seriously?)
Couple days later
Same guy: Hey guys I pulled Jace.
(Me: Groans)
A week later: Hey guys I pulled Liliana.
(Me: Smiles bitterly. How does this guy manage three planeswalkers in two weeks. From packs (My friends were with him on two of them so I doubt he actually bought them separately.)) (And Jace was worth 80 on ebay at the time too.)
My name is Ori.

I am totally not trying to impersonate Edward Scissorhands. Who is that anyway?
Also I am humming this is Halloween.
Also John Cena Memes don't die. (John Cena theme blares in background)

Offline Calun the Bat

• Chatty Cheetah
  • But Nobody Came
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2016, 01:45:41 AM »
Luck with booster packs? In the course of a life time? hehe... ;-;
I think I bought about 6 packs of yugioh cards one time (I was like ten at the time) Trying to get one card, and I got every other card. (And one useful rare card in holographic rare.) I never, ever get a card I particularly want. My friend who started playing, however. First few days (Within at least 5 or 6 packs). He pulls a Chandra
(All of us: Seriously?)
Couple days later
Same guy: Hey guys I pulled Jace.
(Me: Groans)
A week later: Hey guys I pulled Liliana.
(Me: Smiles bitterly. How does this guy manage three planeswalkers in two weeks. From packs (My friends were with him on two of them so I doubt he actually bought them separately.)) (And Jace was worth 80 on ebay at the time too.)

Wwwwwwwwow. That is nutso. XD Yeah, like I said with mine, I wish my luck were that good in a game I actually play! My Pokemon are holos, legendaries, and stuff every pack. Wish my luck with Phy and Mers were as good. lol that is some insane luck he has there!

Offline Halei-Helai

• Handsome Horse
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2016, 04:22:57 PM »
Wwwwwwwwow. That is nutso. XD Yeah, like I said with mine, I wish my luck were that good in a game I actually play! My Pokemon are holos, legendaries, and stuff every pack. Wish my luck with Phy and Mers were as good. lol that is some insane luck he has there!

Probably my absolute best was a Natural Order from a Portal booster. Nobody bought those things! My Tolarian Academy might tie it though, but I bought like a billion Urza's Saga boosters so it all evens out.
---------------

Offline pawz9

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: White with black or brown markings
  • Height: 6'0
  • Weight: 270 lbs.
  • Build: Athletic
  • Currently: Never know how or when it’s going to end
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2016, 03:06:54 AM »
I mostly play modern. And by mostly I mean I have 3 modern decks and only one deck in any other format, an elesh norn commander deck.
nine out of ten voices want me to sleep the tenth is wondering if penguins have knees

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!
                Stealth operative

Offline kylethefox

• Dancing Dragon
  • Its been so long XD
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: fox
  • Coloring: classic fox colors
  • Height: 6.2
  • Weight: 130 (i am pretty skinny!)
  • Build: small muscles (but i know martial arts!)
  • Currently: bored, im free to talk about anything!! (seriously anything!!)
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2016, 07:03:51 PM »
i use to play magic all the time, a friend showed it to me and i loved it! i use to play it eveyday but all my friends got bored of it and went on to other things, i still love it though and ive been waiting to play it for some time! my deck is a forest/fire deck, it mainly focuses on destrorying the other player(s) thought the inside out, I WANNA PLAY IT AGAIN SO FREAKIN BAD!!!

Offline Ibi Tanvaal

• Probably the least fierce spider you'll ever meet
  • Xceptional Xenops
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Poster
  • Guess who's back?
    • Awards
  • Species: Silver Fox
  • Coloring: Grey, duh...
  • Height: 7'1"
  • Weight: 120 kg
  • Build: Toned
  • Currently: Well, I'm kinda better, but also kinda not?
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2016, 12:01:51 AM »
I play standard and EDH mostly, but I have a few tiny leaders decks too.

One of my standard decks is a mono-white artifact populate lifegain *Gasp* and the other is an izzet prowess control
I've returned, though I don't suspect I'll be terribly active. Hey, do you want a cookie?

Offline kylethefox

• Dancing Dragon
  • Its been so long XD
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: fox
  • Coloring: classic fox colors
  • Height: 6.2
  • Weight: 130 (i am pretty skinny!)
  • Build: small muscles (but i know martial arts!)
  • Currently: bored, im free to talk about anything!! (seriously anything!!)
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2016, 03:42:45 PM »
do you think there could be some way for us to play online? XD