Author Topic: Crystal Tears  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Proto Triose

• Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
Crystal Tears
« on: April 05, 2016, 10:10:56 AM »
There are times when I'm driving, or relaxing at home, that I get what I have lovingly termed a Vision. It's when you're sitting there, listening to music, zoned out, and suddenly a scene comes to your mind. A battle playing out. A loved one dying. A world being destroyed, ripped apart at its base. It's these moments that you perk your ears and sit up straight (or straighter, as the situation requires). It's when you realize "I need to make this." I had one of those today, and while I'm not a cinematographer, or even a phenomenal artist, I can write. It was the beginning of Crystal "Sightblinder" Rayne's story, finally coming to me. So I needed to write it.

Sightblinder's Saga
-Book One-
Crystal Tears

The rain came down hard that day. Harder than either of the two could remember. Their armies, far below them, still fought and struggled. Struggled for a cause they knew not; or at the least, a false cause that they believed in. The truth of the matter was that it had been a long and violent struggle, a war that raged across not just the planet, but time itself. They were both of them, in this place and on this day, extremely old. They were young, too, but the two standing in the torrential downpour also knew history that wouldn't happen. They knew ages that hadn't passed. Still, they knew each other better.

Darillian, long sword held in his left hand, shifted his grip on the hilt. A dragon's horns jutted from the helmet upon his head, one snapped off, the other bent backward. Scrapes and dings covered his armor. Armor that would never shine again. Crystal, his daughter - his nemesis - stood across from him. Draconic wings sprouted from her shoulderblades, an opening in the armor allowing them through. Thunder crashed, illuminating the scene. Blood red scales glimmered from under the cracks and joints of the armor covering his daughter. His hand twitched involuntarily. "You have sold your soul to a demon, my dear. And for what?" He shouted, throwing his gloved right hand out over the battlefield so far below them. "For this?"

"In violent times, decisions are forced upon you that you don't always accept." Crystal shot back, moving slowly to the right. Darillian answered the move, going left. The two generals of world spanning armies circled each other slowly, testing for any weakness. A limp. A stumble. Any kind of tell. "You're the one who did this to me, father. You, and you alone."

"I was trying to save this world, you ingrate!"

"Save it? Save it how, by sending it crashing back to the core?! You'd have killed thousands. Millions! I can't allow that. No matter how righteous you thought you were being." Crystal lunged with her sword, parried easily by Dar with his own blade. A quick stroke knocked her weapon aside, followed by a jab. Crystal turned, but the blade severed one of the armor's bonds and screeched as the blade slid along her hip. Her leg mail slid down, revealing more of the blood red scales, marred now with the mark of a blade. She looked down at it, then back up at Dar as she backed away. "Your mind is dangerously unhinged, dad." She pulled the other strap on the opposite side, letting her mail clunk to the ground. She removed her helmet, tossing her shining red hair, instantly soaked with the rain. Her breast plate was the last to go. She stood naked before him. Red scales that shone of the demon's fire covered her hips, all down her back. Her forearms were protected by them, her legs. Talons clicked together as she pulled her blade from the ground she had stabbed it in to. Her wings stretched, free of the restrictive plate mail.

Darillian recoiled a step at the slanted eyes in his daughters face, the sharpened teeth from such a delicate pair of lips. "You are a monster in more than your soul."

"Not any worse than you are." A trail of red began to follow Crystal around the plateau, coming from her talon tips as they danced, tracing a sigil Darillian couldn't see. With the rune finished, glowing brightly against her palm, she threw it forward. A fireball arched from her hand the size of a small boulder.

Darillian traced swiftly in the air a counter-rune, glowing green in the air before him. When the fireball struck it, flames burst to the left and right, but none came close to him. A backwash of cool air blew between the eye slits of his helmet. But Crystal knew his counters, knew his mind as well as she knew her own. They were family. She charged forward, a dragon's tail churning the mud behind her, and leaped through the flames with her sword held high.

In a downward slash she fell, striking with cold metal at her father. She landed with a squelch of mud where Darillian had been standing, her sword tip buried in the muck sucking at her feet. Her slitted eyes shot left and right. A noise behind her caused her tail to lash out, striking at an unseen object. As the smoke from the fireball cleared, she saw four Darillian's standing around her in a circle. Each was a spitting image of the last, and each just as real as the next. So he'd called upon Sul'Vahn, the god of trickery, had he? Crystals lips curled in a growl, smoke sifting out of her nostrils and curling around her horns.

Farluk, god of judgement, sprang a list of spells into her mind. Lifting her hand, the ground all around them instantly raised into four walls. With a flap of her wings and a mighty downward thrust of air, she rocketed into the sky. The pillars of earth slammed toward each other, crushing the images between them. She scanned the field from above, keeping herself aloft, but the rain was making it difficult to see. There, a brown glow against the impenetrable darkness. Quickly, she traced her own runic emblem in the air ever as a bolt of earth shot skyward. It was no bigger than an arrow - she had overcompensated. The rune of deflection worked with strange physics. Its size needed to be directly proportionate to the item that was being deflected, or it would overreach and bounce the object too hard and too wildly to effectively move it away from oneself.

The small projectile made no noise but a whizzing through the air as it bounced astray and pierced her left wing, shredding a hole. Her balance off, she fell from the sky, plummeting back to the plateau. Earth shook around her, water splashing upward into the heavens. Her scales absorbed most of the impact. Bruised from the fall, she rolled sideways as a sword tip plunged into the ground near her head. Her tail lashed, tripping Darillian.

Vines called forth from Vertan, goddess of life, shot from the ground and grabbed her wrists as she raised her sword, pinning her in place. Dar shoved himself backward, regaining his footing. He'd removed his helmet, his short cropped hair covered in mud. A dark look of vengeance burned behind his eyes. "It ends now, Crystal." She hooked a claw, tracing a very small rune that he wouldn't be able to see on the underside of one of the vines. "You've lost."

"Not quite." She hissed. The rune, learned so long ago - or was it so long from now? - ignited. A very simple fire rune, meant for lightning the man's cigarettes. But it was enough to burn the vines. At the same moment, clerical magic ran through her mind. Detrus, god of death. Black mist roiled around her, turning her invisible. It continued to fill the arena, choking Darillian, halting his breath. He knew he had very little time left. The demon - what he thought of as a demon - that had taken his daughter was nowhere to be seen. He heard a flapping noise, traced a small rune of light and ducked as claws raked the air over his head.

"I will save them!" He screamed into the darkness, wasting his precious breath.

"You consign them to death, father. Yours is an apocalyptic future."

"But one that will bring the world back from the bring of despair, nonetheless." He heard a rock scrape from a talon, and lunged. His sword bit successfully into soft underbelly. The black smoke dissipated, vanished almost instantly before his eyes. "And that is a future." He twisted the sword, pushed harder, brought his face closer to his daughters wide violet eyes. "That you will have to accept." He threw her down to the ground.

Blood welled around the blade jutting from her chest even as Darillian stood, turned, and walked away from her. His steps were faltering, but he was alive, while his daughter died painfully behind him.

As her blood seeped into the ground, her talons gripping the sword and trying to draw it out, she stared up into the rain laden sky. She coughed, and blood trickled from her mouth, down her neck, to join the rest of her blood. The mud around her began to take a dark red color, more of her life than of earth now. Her mind went back over her life.

Back to the beginning. Where did it all start? How did she get here? How did she end up with a sword, her father's own, jutting from her chest? With mangled wings, protective scales, the use of both runic and clerical magic?

How? That is a story that begins hundreds of years from this moment.
[/center]

Post Merge: April 05, 2016, 02:42:55 PM
Please feel free to tell me what you think. I'm curious to see if anyone is interested in Crystal's story, and the floating world of Aitarra. I tried to demonstrate how runic and clerical magic work - runic with symbols traced in the air, each with their own weaknesses and strengths. You have to be a master of them, but you're nigh unstoppable if you know how to manipulate the symbols properly. Clerical works by one of the gods gifting you a list of spells to achieve a goal. For instance - you're faced with "I need to get through this group of mercenaries." Death would give you a list to kill them all. Nature would gift the vines you saw in the story. Judgement would bind them, stopping them where they stand. Based on your affiliation and how you personally would respond, you pick which is the best route.

Something you'd want to read, or not? Without giving away plot spoilers. :3
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 02:42:55 PM by Proto Triose, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
  • Signature art by: Lucky978 on Deviantart.com
Sorry for the absence; I had to get my life and my mind together. I missed you all.

Offline HellEye

• The Elementalist
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Fox go boop
    • Awards
  • Species: Red fox
  • Coloring: Red and white, normal red fox coloring
  • Height: 5'8" Anthro / 1'4" Feral
  • Weight: 150lbs Anthro / 20lbs Feral
  • Build: Average, fluffy
  • Currently: *Happy fox*
Re: Crystal Tears
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 03:29:50 PM »
Well, what can I say? I don't even know, so ima meme:

Can you call the first part of the book a pilot? I don't care, I love this GIF XD

I love the story, starts great as do all of yours. Hope to read more of it soon!
Love the magic that is shown here. I have to learn the runes some day, seem like some practical spells. I want to find out more about them in the future parts, for some reason I really enjoy all the sciency magic, explained with some stuff yet still magical. And the other type, the gods' powers. It's interesting too, I like glyphs more tho :P

Keep it up when you can!
Everyone seems to have it, so here's mine

Offline Proto Triose

• Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 11:05:49 PM »
I've been asked for a second part to Crystal's story, and since I have to eventually tell the whole thing, I might just go about doing that here if everyfur wants. It'll be a long process, though!

-Chapter One-
-The Future in the Past-

Crystal woke to a house shaking boom of thunder that rattled the window panes. The rain came down hard, pattering against the glass in her room with a vengeance. That wasn't what woke her, however. She looked around her room, letting her eyes adjust to the dim light from the sleeping computer screen on her desk. The reassuring blue light of her speaker system glowed in the upper right corner. Rubbing one eye with her hand, she rolled over and looked at the little alarm clock, glowing red. Digital numbers read 1:43. Entirely too early to be waking up. Had she had a nightmare? She didn't think that was it. She hadn't woken up swinging her fist, so she imagined it couldn't be. She listened intently for anything strange, out of the ordinary. There was nothing.

Which was odd enough. Typically she could hear her father in the next room, snoring away like a freight train out of control. But it was silent. Slowly, she removed her covers and sat up, tugging her black t-shirt with the pink skull and crossbones further down. Swinging her legs over the side of the bed, the t-shirt long enough to cover to her knees so she only wore her panties, she leaned sideways and gently pulled the drawer of her nightstand open. Inside were her two handguns, a black one and a silver one. Ebony and Ivory. She'd named them after her favorite video game, Devil May Cry - when she was gifted them by Darillian for her 18th birthday a year ago, she'd thought it only fitting.

They made only a slight clunk on the sides of the drawer as she took them out, removed the clips and checked that they were loaded. A ball of light floated up outside her window, casting shadows all around her room while brightening so that it hurt her eyes and she was forced to cover them with her arm to look at it. It wasn't a beam of light. Was it a drone? She got up out of bed, the floorboards creaking under her weight, and tiptoed to the door to her room. Pressing her ear to it, eyes focused on the light behind her, she listened.

There was definitely the sound of footsteps. Muffled voices, but she didn't recognize what little of the language reached her ears. French? It sounded a lot angrier than that. German, maybe? Very slowly, she pulled the top of the gun back, loading a bullet into the chamber of each gun. Light poured under the door at her feet, erasing some of the few shadows that remained in the room. They had stopped at her door. That light outside - did it alert them? Son of a bitch.

Reaching over, she started pulling the door's hinge bars out of their place. She was raised to be paranoid. Darillian was a very edge father, always looking over his shoulder, thinking people were watching him. He was a prominent religious figure on most of the planet, calling down miracle cures that people couldn't explain away as anything other than godly intervention. Paranoia came with fame - in this case, that same paranoia bled over into raising a daughter. Enough so that she kept the hinges to her door oiled and easy to remove, just in case she ever got locked in. People tended to find it better for their sanity when they didn't ask.

She had absolutely no idea what they were saying on the other side, but there was no way in hell some Master Race scumbag was going to take her without a fight. Backing up a step, she planted her left foot. Wait. Wait. The doorknob began to turn. Unhinged, it began to lean forward at the same time. She lifted her right foot and kicked as hard as she could. The door slammed forward, stopping short of the wall with a body blocking its path. There was a second one to the side, dressed in some odd red robe with strange markings embroidered around it. They were all strangely glowing blue except one he had his finger on that shone red under the fingertip. "What the hell?" Crystal faltered, one handgun dropping slightly in surprise.

"Sumet haht, sumet haht! N'ek bitata ont trat flot!" The person yelled, lifting his hand. His fingers started dancing, tracing an emblem in the air that she could see, glowing white. She lifted her other gun and pulled the trigger with a resounding blast, acrid smoke rising from the barrel tip. The bullet lodged in his shoulder, stopping his drawing and eliciting a scream as blood pulsed from the wound. The strange symbol began to unravel, wisps of white fading into nothing.

Crystal slammed a fist into his nose, the punch hardened by the handle of the gun clenched in her fist. With a crack of splintering bone, the man fell to the ground on his knees, blood dripping to the floor from his now broken nose. She lifted her foot and kicked him in the side of the head with all the force adrenaline could muster. He collapsed, unconscious - from her kick, or her defensive handling, it mattered little to her. "**censor** you and your fancy light display, anyway." She muttered, stepping over the body blocking the hallway.

Keeping her back to the wall, she made her way to the stairwell leading down in a spiral to the bottom floor. She peered out over the drop, looking for more. A row of the intruders came into view; before she could count the number, she jerked her head back and looked down the hallway. It ended in a plaster wall, with two door on either side of the opposing walls. She was on the third floor, though, so it wouldn't be smart to try and hide there. No escape that way.

The stairs creaked. The Germans were making their way up. That ball of light rose slowly, seeping its glow through the banister railing. No time. She jumped on the railing, laying back with her feet pointed down. With a push, she started sliding down. Bullet casing flew from her gun as she fired. The show of danger forced the ones on the stairs to duck, covering their heads. Bullets puffed plaster in the walls above their heads. A couple of them managed those strange drawings, the bullets striking an invisible shield. Those few stumbled back into the wall from the impact, but no bullet reached their bodies.

Halfway down, at the second floor, she spun her right foot so the momentum kicked her off the banister in a spin. Her right heel came down on someone's arm below her, the body falling underneath her with a muffled cry of pain. She landed with her feet on his chest, using whoever it was as a cushion for her fall. Snapping upright, guns held forward, she stared. There were at least six more of them, surrounding the stairwell, but they were all unimportant to the man she saw standing calmly at their head.

He didn't have a hood pulled up. His features - a pudgy face, with a goatee on his chin. Short hair have close to his scalp made it hard to tell what his natural hair color was, but his body matched his face. He was heavy set, with a trench coat hanging open to the sides. A nice dress shirt was buttoned up underneath it, with a nice pair of slacks. He had one hand shoved in the pocket of his coat, the other hanging at his side. A cigarette dangled from his lips, smoke curling into the air. When the cherry brightened as he inhaled on it, those same strange symbols glowed on his neck, fading their light as the smoke came out of his mouth.

"Who the hell are you people?" Crystal shouted, though she knew they more than likely couldn't understand her.

"Aitarrans." The man said as he lifted his hand. She couldn't be sure if that was some foreign word she didn't understand, the name of somewhere, his name. His fingers dance an enchanting dance of different colored lights, causing Crystal to raise her gun after realizing something was going to happen, like the way her bullets had struck but not struck the men on the stairs.

She was too late, though. All of the symbols - red, green, black, white, blue - coalesced inward, and a beam of light shot forward, striking her in the forehead. The world didn't fade. The world just ceased to be.

(Going to eat - nowhere near done with this chapter, but I hope you enjoy what I got so far)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 11:10:44 PM by Proto Triose »
Sorry for the absence; I had to get my life and my mind together. I missed you all.

Offline HellEye

• The Elementalist
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Fox go boop
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 04:08:29 PM »
Just read that. I have no idea what's going on. I love it! And all the small references, DMC gun names, amazing!
*Grabs popcorn and sits down patiently*

Offline Proto Triose

• Quizzical Quail
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 07:29:03 AM »
It seemed to her that it was a continuous moment. She held up her hands, falling backward to the cold stone floor, trying to stop the bolt of light. Except that there was no light. No main entryway. No circle of Aitarrans surrounding her, if that was actually what they were called. Just the cold, damp basement. In every direction, casks of wine that her father liked to collect sat on shelves. A drain sat at her feet. Across from her, with a little lamp turned on over a desk, sat the man that had answered her. She backed up, hitting her head on the low sitting electric box. The thunk and following curse as she lifted her hand to her head made the man look up.

"Back with us, then." A cigarette, half smoked, hung from his lips. The chair he sat in squeaked as it turned, unaccustomed to his weight. He lifted a hand as he inhaled on the cigarette, pulling it from his lips as smoke followed. So he spoke English; she supposed the leader of a terrorist organization would have to to get anywhere. "Welcome back, Crystal. I take it your last name is Rayne, as well?" She slowly nodded, opening her mouth to ask him a question, but he held up a piece of paper torn from a spiral notebook and pointed to the name in the upper right corner. "Found your homework in your room. Simple enough to put the pieces together. You're Darillian's child."

"My dad doesn't negotiate with terrorists. Whatever you think you're gaining from holding me ransom -"

"Ransom?" The man laughed, touching the two guns that rested on the desk near him. Then, unexpectedly, he lifted one and looked down the length before standing. Crystal tried to back up more, but he only laid them at her feet and took another drag off his cigarette. "Hardly. We're here for your father, not you."

"Great." She eyed the guns at her feet, expecting a trick. "More extremists. Why are you people so against my father? He's not doing anything but healing people."

The man ashed his cigarette and ran a hand through his short hair, stopping it at the back of his head. "You really don't know anything. We're not here because of that. Although, I will say it's very impressive that he's using his abilities for good. A clever ploy. We never would have thought to look into a cleric here, but," as he grabbed a plate from the desk, his back turned to her, Crystal lunged and grabbed the handguns at her feet. She fired four times from Ivory, the first one she'd picked up. A blue glow traveled from where the bullets struck to a location on the opposite side of his body, and one of the wine caskets received four new holes, pouring aged alcohol to the floor. A rune, glowing the same blue color as the wave that had enveloped him, slowly started to fade even as the smoke from her gun barrel started to dissipate.

The man turned, holding the plate out in front of him, with a raised eyebrow. He looked at the gun in her hand, then placed a piece of paper that was folded into a W shape on top of it. He held it out to her, looking at the gun with an extremely nonchalant look on his face. "I'm Caleb Demetrai."

Not taking the plate, more from shock than anything, Crystal kept staring at him, wide-eyed. Then she threw the gun at him. The same blue wave shimmered around him, and her gun skittered across the ground on the other side. He started to bend down toward her, which made her try to press back in to the wall even more. "What the hell is going on?" She had tears shimmering in her eyes, pulling her knees up toward her. "What do you people want with my father, if not that? Are you German?"

"Are we ..." Caleb placed the plate at her feet as well. It held two slices of bread and a piece of wrapped cheese. When she didn't move toward it, he put it together with the cheese between the bread. The piece of paper had two halves of one of those strange symbols painted on it. Putting the two halves together, they sucked into each other like magnets, and the rune flared red. Grabbing the back of the paper, that now acted like a handle, he pressed it into the bread. Pulling it back, he flipped it and pressed it down again before the rune faded and vanished from the paper. It was left a plain, folded piece of paper in his hand. On the plate, a smoking grilled cheese sandwich drifted its scent to her.

Crystal edged forward, snatched the sandwich and turned it over in her hands, looking for the trick. Caleb stood, using his knees as a support, before continuing. "I have to make the assumption you heard my men talking and couldn't understand them. I suppose Aitarran does sound a little angry, like your Germanic language." He went and picked up her gun, bringing it back to her and holding it out. "We're not Germans. I told you, we're Aitarrans." With a nod toward the sandwich, he went back to sit in the chair, leaning back with his hands across his stomach. "Eat. After the runes I had to use on you, you're going to be famished. We can get you more food when you calm down." As she slowly took a bite of the grilled cheese, suspicion still blatant in her eyes, he continued talking. "An interesting choice, going with the silver one. It says a lot about you." When she narrowed her eyes in a partially irritated, partially curious fashion, he leaned forward.

"You took the one not shrouded in darkness."

She swallowed, picking up her other gun timidly and tucking it into the holsters at her hips. "Yeah." Then she paused, and looked down. She still wore the same shirt, but it appeared they had put her clothes on, complete with her weapon holsters. What game were these people playing at? "So?"

"It shows an inclination to the light. Or, good, as you would translate it." Crystal finished her snack, standing shakily. Her eyes drifted up the stairwell, to the exit to the basement. She knew the layout of the house far better than they did. When she didn't say anything, Caleb waved away what he had been saying. "In any case. We're from Aitarra, a world completely separate from yours here. It's a world that floats in the sky. The world your father ran from, to escape here. A world broken long, long ago by a dragon called Sightblinder."

Her father was from somewhere else? She shook her head. Wasn't possible. This man was playing all sorts of tricks with her. Those glowing letters, the strange blue that surrounded him when she shot at him. Slight of hand, somehow. How, she wasn't sure, but other worlds didn't exist. She had to get out of here and alert the authorities. Sightblinder, huh? She'd blind their sight, alright. Reaching back, she slammed all the switches to the left, shutting the lights off to the house.

She ran in pitch blackness for the stairs, straight for the open doorway. Then she slammed headfirst into some invisible barrier and a flash of white light. Was knocked back down the stairs. Landed on her back, staring up at Caleb, who was still sitting in his chair and calmly smoking. Green symbols glowed around his eyes, lighting his facial features. He tapped a finger to the side of his eye socket. "We had a little time to prepare for any scenario while you were out." He explained, standing and going to switch everything back on. With a thunk, the lights illuminated the basement again.

"Damn you people." Crystal spat, getting up to her feet and wiping the dirt off her hands from where she'd fallen.

Caleb started to walk back toward her, one hand in a pocket. He fished out a pack of cigarettes, a soft pack, and flipped his wrist so one popped out of the pack. Putting it to his lips, he lit it by snapping his fingers and holding a flame to its end. Crystal stood staring angrily as Caleb took his time puffing it alight. Then the flame vanished, and he took a drag on it. "You're not going to get answers by repeatedly trying to escape. Can we end this little tirade, or would you like to try again?"

Crystal grit her teeth, clenched her fists, and managed out, "This is a non-smoking household."

Caleb grinned at her and clapped her on the shoulder. "There now. That's the spirit. Completely irrelevant, but the spirit. Go ahead."

"Fine. Let's say this world does exist, that my father did come from it. Which, I'm not saying I buy, but let's say he did. Why are you chasing him if he wanted to leave?"

"He was trying to destroy it."

"Destroy it? He wouldn't."

"Why, because he's a good person?" When Crystal nodded only once, Caleb pulled the cigarette down. "Well, in a way I would say you're right. His goal was to send the isles crashing back to the core of our world, to reunite them. So he was doing it for what he believed was a good cause, but ultimately would have killed millions. Let me ask you one thing. Have you ever heard him say 'Sacrifices are made in lieu of the greater good'? Ah, I see you have. Then you at least acknowledge I might know him?" Crystal nodded hesitantly. "Good, then. Any more?"

Crystal crossed her arms, tapping a finger against an elbow. "Those symbols?"

"Runic magic. From Aitarra. Really, from every world, just as Clerical magic works here, so does Runic."

"Runic? Clerical?"

"That is a very long answer. The long and short is that Runic specifies a reaction you want to be created by tracing the instructions in the air or on a piece of paper, as you saw. Though the paper greatly lessens their effect and makes them last a shorter time. Clerical calls upon the gods, who grant a list of spells to achieve a goal. Your father has the ability to utilize both - in his practices as a man of God here, you've seen Clerical magic first hand often enough. He's one of three in our history that have shown the talent and be considered a Clerunic Magi. There are much finer details, but those are irrelevant to you."

"Clerunic ..." Crystal shook her head, put a hand to her temples. "Fine. Whatever you say, Magic Mike. What do you want with me, then?"

Caleb's eyes fell on a tiny symbol on her wrist, and he stopped midway with his cigarette to his mouth. "Initially, just to learn a few more things about Darillian. He's run again, and we figured you would be the best to learn where he might have gone. That thing on your wrist." He pointed with his cigarette.

Crystal looked down, turned her wrist to look at it more easily. "It's a birthmark. Don't interrupt -"

"Can I see something?"

Crystal sighed and held her wrist out. "I don't know how much help I can be. If I make something up, will you people leave us alone? He hasn't run anywhere, but you're apparently obsessed with this fantasy of yours." She stopped when Caleb traced an intricate symbol over the mark on her wrist. It flared black, then vanished. The dragon-like birthmark on her wrist was moving its serpentine tail, and it actually moved. Crystal screamed and yanked her hand back as the birthmark ran up her arm and into the shirtsleeve. She could feel it moving to her shoulder blade, where the strange itching feeling stopped. "What the **censor** did you do? What was that? Did you just curse me?!"

Caleb flicked his cigarette away, worry written plainly in his eyes. "I'm afraid just getting information is now out of the question. Crystal Rayne." He shoved his hands in his trench coat pockets, staring her in the eyes very seriously. "We're going to need you to come with us. The survival of millions of people may very well depend on it."

Crystal's gun Ivory, that she had still held in her hand, hit the cold, hard floor of the basement.

Offline BlueWolf

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • The Village Idiot-Wol
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Blue Northwestern Wolf
  • Coloring: Thick royal blue fur
  • Height: 5'6
  • Weight: 170
  • Build: Pudgy
  • Currently: Avidly avoiding work...
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 01:14:55 PM »
I'm going to be saving this for special occasions, and I think this is one of them!

This is awesome!  I love how snarky and combative Crystal is when it comes to Caleb.  I've always been a fan of decently displayed magic, and this is one of my favorites: time to draw, thoughts as to the type, size, and other considerations makes magic a tricky thing in this universe, I could see how that would destroy people if not studied correctly.  Poor dad isn't exactly winning over any crowds, is he?  I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this story and seeing how it goes!
I can easily be reached:
PM me here, contacts to the left OR....
email: [email protected]
kik: tjsieling
IMVU: BlueWolf55

Pet's name: Bunbun

Pet's name: Krios
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!

Offline HellEye

• The Elementalist
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • Fox go boop
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 02:20:29 PM »
Love it as always! I'm really grateful you're spending the time making this story for free instead of working on the book that will give you money.
The thing I want to see the most now are magic lessons for crystal. It's gonna be epic!

Offline BlueWolf

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • The Village Idiot-Wol
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Blue Northwestern Wolf
  • Coloring: Thick royal blue fur
  • Height: 5'6
  • Weight: 170
  • Build: Pudgy
  • Currently: Avidly avoiding work...
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 03:49:51 PM »
Love it as always! I'm really grateful you're spending the time making this story for free instead of working on the book that will give you money.
The thing I want to see the most now are magic lessons for crystal. It's gonna be epic!

I was thinking the same thing.  :P
I can easily be reached:
PM me here, contacts to the left OR....
email: [email protected]
kik: tjsieling
IMVU: BlueWolf55

Pet's name: Bunbun

Pet's name: Krios
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!

Offline Ibi Tanvaal

• Probably the least fierce spider you'll ever meet
  • Xceptional Xenops
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Guess who's back?
    • Awards
  • Species: Silver Fox
  • Coloring: Grey, duh...
  • Height: 7'1"
  • Weight: 120 kg
  • Build: Toned
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Well, I'm kinda better, but also kinda not?
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 06:00:11 AM »
I somewhat remember Proto once telling me that I should write more so he can read it.
PROTO I NEED TO FIND ALL OF YOUR STORIES AND READ THEM ALL!!!
I've returned, though I don't suspect I'll be terribly active. Hey, do you want a cookie?

Offline Proto Triose

• Quizzical Quail
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 06:01:35 AM »
Crystal's foot hit the gun, sending it bouncing into Caleb's shoe as she grabbed the collar of his shirt. "The hell do you mean you're going to need me to go with you?" She pulled him forward so their noses were touching, eyes locked. "First you come in here, you wreck my home-"

"Wrecking your home you did all on your own."

"Wreck. My. Home." She accentuated each remark by shaking him once. "Then you expect me to go galavanting off with you to every corner of the globe, looking to kill not just someone, but my DAD? You've got some screws loose, Copperfield, if you think I'm going anywhere on this planet with you." With that she shoved him backward, leaning down to pick up her gun.

Caleb stumbled a few steps, then caught himself and straightened his shirt collar. "You're correct in a few places. Where you're wrong is a lot more entertaining, however. For instance, it's a good thing you won't go with us anywhere on this planet. We're not staying here. I'm afraid that mark on you is far more important than even chasing Darilian."

Crystal looked up at him from under her lashes as she put her gun away, reaching back to touch the mark that she assumed rested upon her shoulder. "You are seriously diluted. Do you need a psychologist, a psychiatrist? Dr. Jekyll?"

Caleb lit another cigarette - he seemed to do that a lot, and she wondered briefly how he didn't already have emphysema already. "I'm aware of how crazy and ridiculous this all sounds to you, but that mark on your shoulder - I assume that's where it moved to, judging by your movements - is extremely important to the people of Aitarra. If I'm right, and I'm very rarely wrong, then you are Sightblinder's offspring, and we'll need -"

Crystal cut him off with a sharp laugh. "Offspring? Me? The offspring of a dragon? That's rich." She laughed again, gestured upstairs. "You know who my father is. I have a birth certificate with his name under 'Father.' Does he look like a dragon to you? Besides, I'm pretty sure they both knew who put their dirty steeple in her open church."

"Colorful, as always." Caleb took a drag on his cigarette, blowing the smoke in her face as he walked by. "I don't know your lineage, nor do I care. At some point, your blood traces back to the dragon Sightblinder. Still, even that I don't care about. It's the fact that Sightblinder's offspring is said to be the one who is going to protect and save us."

"It's said. Are you seriously talking about prophecy?"

"If that's what you want to call it. It's more of a promise from the dragon itself, really, but prophecy sounds so much better, doesn't it? In fact," Caleb stopped at the top of the stairs, cigarette dangling from his lips. "I rather like the sound of that. Prophecy's Child, Crystal Rayne." He held his hands up, spreading them apart like he were displaying it on a large billboard.

Crystal went red in the face and clenched a fist. "It doesn't matter. You're a paranoid delusional, so you can call me whatever you want. It doesn't make it true."

"You're just going to keep ignoring glowing symbols that do things inexplicable and keep insisting it's all a fabrication of my mind, aren't you?"

"They can be explained. I've seen plenty of magic shows. It's all fancy mirrors, smoke, and lasers."

"You actually believe that?"

"You actually believe a dragon from some other world somehow got its genetics into a person on a world millions of miles away from its own, hundreds to thousands of years later, and that that person - who, by the way, doesn't buy this bullshit for one minute - and that that person is going to save all of you from a fate you don't even know about yet?"

Caleb was silent for a moment, taking a drag on his cigarette. "Fair enough."

"What. Really?"

"Absolutely. I'll tell you what. I'll make you a deal." Crystal narrowed her eyes, tilting her head slightly in suspicion. "No tricks, I promise. All I want you to do is come with me to see something. If you don't believe me after that, we'll leave you alone here and never come back. I'll even subject myself to this Dr. Jekyll you recommended."

Crystal tapped her finger against the handle of the gun at her right hip, considering. "One thing I can't figure out." Caleb raised an eyebrow. "How'd you get the birthmark to move?"

"Simple misdirection. I made you focus on the rune while I pinched the scar and moved it to your shoulder." Caleb traced a mirror rune over the doorway, causing a rainbow sheen like light over a bubble to flicker, then fade.

"Shut up." Crystal followed him out of the doorway, put a hand on his arm. "Really? You can do that with scars?"

Caleb looked over at her, then back where they were walking, gesturing at each person they passed that all was well. "No. Violent and gullible. Not typically two qualities you find in one person. It's either that, or I'm a runic mage from another world that floats in the sky."

Crystal couldn't decide if she wanted to hit him or not. Looking at the nearest intruder, she thought better of it. They stopped in the main entryway. Caleb had his hand on the door. They had removed the doorknob so the door would swing open and closed more easily, even if it didn't latch in place. From what she could see through the hole where the doorknob used to be, lights were flooding the large open field. Enormous crates with warehouse labels slapped on them were floating across the ground, directed by teams of three of the Aitarrans. She couldn't make out more through the small opening. "What are you waiting for, Johnson? Let's get this little 'Prepare to be awed' moment of yours over with so I can lock you up in a mental institution."

Caleb held up a finger. "Johnson?"

"Magic Johnson. Basketball ... You know what, forget it." Crystal shoved past him and kicked the door, sending it slamming into the side of the house.

There was nothing. Nothing more than large boxes floating in the air and being pushed by teams of three. Those bright balls of light sat on the grass all around the clearing, illuminating the scene as bright as day. The smell of rain permeated the air. Crystal looked around, looking for some awe inspiring moment. The most she could discern was the fact the boxes and the others disappeared from view. Only the people came back out.

"This is it? This is your big convincing moment?" Crystal took out her cell phone from her pocket, shaking her head as she pressed the unlock button. But the phone didn't turn on. Frustrated, she shoved it back where it had been. "You drained my cell phone. Clever, but a deal is a deal."

Caleb stood beside her, drawing on a piece of paper with a stick of her lipstick. "Run out of Magic references to call me?"

"No, I can call you plenty more, Magic Mountain. You just haven't earned them all."

Finished, Caleb stepped forward into the clearing. Crystal followed reluctantly, looking over her shoulder at the house where the land line was. She really needed to get the call started. Caleb cleared his throat, to get her to turn back toward him. He turned to face the field, crouching down slightly. "It's a lot less dramatic when you're not," he paused to jump a little, shooting the crumpled up paper like a basketball. "Looking." He finished as runes began to light from the base of the field, unwinding and whisping away in the gentle breeze. The first ones started slowly, but like a field of dominoes, picked up speed until it was a veritable waterfall of runes glowing and unraveling.

An enormous, sleek black ship began to appear before her eyes, the curtain hiding it sloughing away from its hull. The lights in the clearing lit it up from underneath, causing the whale of a ship to shimmer in all its glory. It hovered like some kind of space age giant, a silently turning conveyor belt jutting from the aft. The large boxes were being loaded onto the belt; at the top, another team of three maneuvered them into place.

Crystal, wide-eyed, walked slowly toward the monstrosity. She crouched at its hull, leaning down and throwing a hand left and right underneath it. There was nothing holding it up. Nothing that she could see, anyway. Caleb came walking calmly up behind her, one hand in his trench coat, per the usual. The other was free, holding an unlit cigarette. "This is the largest skyship in Aitarra, and I would dare to say on Earth, as well. Fully fitted to comfortably hold a crew of 30, with plenty of food, soft couches, and every form of entertainment you could think of. If there's one thing you Earthlings do better, it's that. She's also the first Starship, with linked paneling, filter runes for the oxygen encased when we take off. Of course, there's all sorts of other runes. It took us a good year to transcribe the necessary ones. We've also fit her with clerical magic, auxiliary thrusters for increased speed, and an enhanced positioning system.

Crystal. Meet the Prism. First Class Aitarran Starship."

Crystal stood slowly, looking up the things gleaming plates. She looked down the full length of it, left and right, before meeting Caleb's eyes. "Kind of small for a team of 30."

Caleb was taken aback at her calm demeanor, then patted a series of runes transcribed in the shape of a door. "On the inside, it's approximately three of your fooseball fields stacked on top of each other."

"Football."

"Whatever. Spacial distortion runes see to the available space."

"Alright, but it's still not that impressive. Smoke and mirrors, Siegfried. Smoke and mirrors."

"Frustrating little," with a sigh, he motioned for one of the crew to come over and whispered something in his ear. When the girl nodded, he put a hand on Crystal's shoulder to keep her in place. The girl disappeared into the back of the ship, the conveyor rolling inside. The back slid closed soundlessly, white light appearing as the seam simply vanished. Then the Prism shot vertically skyward, dwindling into nothing even as they watched. No wind touseled her hair or moved Caleb's coat. It was just simply gone. Caleb leaned against a large crate with the words "R.J. Reynolds" stenciled on it, lighting the cigarette he'd been holding with that strange finger snap.

A few moments later, the ship shot back down just as quickly, stopping short of the ground without any more wind than there was before. As the back opened and the conveyor belt slid back out, Caleb came back up to her side, where she was standing stark still and ashen white. Reaching up, Caleb touched a rune at the base of the rectangular set of runes. A small stair case slid down as the runes flared and the area inside the markings simply vanished.

Once he'd climbed inside, Caleb turned. "We've got some preparations to make still. Put in your requests with any of the Magi around. They'll see to it that it's done. I assume you have some packing of your own to do?"

Crystal just stared up at him, forgetting herself for a moment. This couldn't be happening. Her world had just been flipped upside down, turned inside out, and jettisoned into the pit of the sun itself. Everything she knew, or thought she knew, was turning out to be false.

"Yeah." She muttered lamely. Suddenly, her world seemed very small.

Post Merge: April 30, 2016, 03:39:01 PM
For anyone reading along, the next chapter involves a brief discussion of Caleb's history, the rediscovery of runes, his part in it, and a brief though more in depth explanation and demonstration. Hope you're still enjoying it! Don't be afraid to comment! (and yes, I've seen the re-use of words and everything, but it's what I've talked about. First drafts to be edited later. ;))
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 03:39:01 PM by Proto Triose, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

Offline HellEye

• The Elementalist
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • Fox go boop
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 12:42:39 PM »
I'm a bit late, Completely forgot I saw it uploaded a while ago. I love every sentence in this history. Every bit of magic, every sarcastic comment, every reference I don't get cuz I'm lame. Can't say a bad word about it. I'm looking forward to the history of the runic magic. It's gonna be amazing I know.

Offline Proto Triose

• Quizzical Quail
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 11:27:10 AM »
It had taken her all of ten minutes to get her things together, and even less time to start giving orders to the Magi around her as she packed her things. None of them liked it much, but none of them would go against Caleb's orders. Crystal had started referring to herself as the girl with the dragon tattoo, which she thought was quite funny. None of the others seemed to get it. Those large crates they had been pushing around now included no less than three filled to the brim just for her with snacks from earth. She had not been allowed to bring a crate of ammo for her pistols, as she had wanted, but she did pack an entire duffel bag with it. Damn them anyway.

Lugging two bags out, with a backpack over her shoulders, she dropped them at the base of the stairs leading up to the entryway. Caleb came around from helping with the loading process, now nearly complete, with that damn constant cigarette hanging from his lip. Now she understood why he had purchased several crates of the nasty things. She grabbed the cigarette from his mouth and put it out on the heel of her boot, only to look up and see him lightning another one. She bristled, but gave up as he leaned down and grabbed the bag with ammo, stopping when the weight threw him off. She almost got a protest in before he unzipped it.

"Seriously?" He looked up at her, shaking his head and zipping it back up. "I suppose I'll allow this much. It's not the full crate you had tried to order. A crate?"

"And I suppose you needed three crates of cigarettes?"

He moved the cigarette, holding it up. "These are to calm me down. These," he gestured at the ammunition in the bag. "Are to kill people with."

"I can use them just to maim. As much as you can use that to burn someone." She crossed her arms defiantly, reaching for her bag.

Caleb swatted her hand away, lifting it. "I said this was better than what you ordered. What kind of shooting spree were you planning on going on, woman?"

"Woman?!"

Caleb ignored her, climbing up the steps into the heart of his star ship and muttering to himself. "I have more than one way to burn someone." More loudly, he called over his shoulder. "Grab your things and come on. Let's get you situated in your room before we take off. Preparations are almost complete."

"Yeah, which one are we on, Colors? H?" She waited at the base of the stairs as he climbed his way up, the other bag held clutched in her left hand.

"Colors? That's the best you can do, short stack?"

"Didn't say they'd all be gems. Like short stack is much better. You're losing your edge in your old age, aren't you old man?"

She started climbing up after him, but he leaned down and shoved her forehead so she stumbled backward. "I'm not much older than you. Don't even try the old man approach." He disappeared to the right with her bag, She took his absence to give a small smile. Alright, so this guy wasn't so bad - sure, he was taking her from her home, but she couldn't deny there were strange things at work. And if that were the case, perhaps her father really wasn't here anymore. Once up, she saw him waiting a small ways down, with the door propped open.

Squeezing past him, she shoved forward against his gut. "I thought you said there was plenty of room on this rust bucket."

"There is. I just didn't want to make you comfortable yet. You're comfortable enough with insulting me. That's step one to lower your defenses so I can kidnap you properly."

Crystal stopped and dropped her bag on the floor, looking around the enormous room she'd been given, trying to wrap her mind around how it could fit in here. It was veritably a palatial estate, with a full chandelier hanging from the ceiling. A tub big enough to fit a football team with all their gear on sat in the corner, with polished marble inlaid all around it. The carpeting was softer than anything she'd ever felt. The bed looked like it was filled with clouds, the sheets and comforter so thick there must have been a thousand geese killed just to make it. Caleb used his gut to shove her forward, moving her bag to the side. "Now who's taking up the limited room?"

"How?" Crystal walked in, trailing her hand along the back of a leather sofa, looking up at the chandelier.

"Runes. How many times do I have to tell you?"

"But this isn't -"

"Easy to put together, no. I spent the entire time you were ordering the mages around to draw up the runic designs and have them implemented. This is all an illusion, so it really doesn't take up much space."

"An illusion? But I can touch it. Feel it. It even feels soft and comfortable."

"It's a strong enough illusion that it might as well be real. As long as your body and mind believe it, then it's enough."

"I guess." She sounded hesitant, shaking her head at the grandeur. "Why go to all the trouble?"

"Because if you're going to go to trouble for something, might as well put effort into it." Caleb shrugged at her. "Magic isn't as mystical and hocus pocus as you earthlings think. Let me ask you. Have you ever seen someone here draw a ward against evil in the air, and it somehow worked? Something strange happened that you can't explain? A chalk drawing that actually set someone's house on fire? Things like that?"

"Yeah, but that was -"

"Coincidence? Slight of hand? I'm afraid not. It was a rune. The ability can be bred in anyone, anywhere, on any planet. It's a force that lives everywhere in the universe."

Crystal snorted. "Alright, Yoda. How does it work? I'm going with you to this Aitarra place, where the ability is supposedly known, recognized, and trained, right? Should probably know about it, don't you think. Especially if I'm going to prove you wrong."

Caleb looked like he was unhappy with this thought, but finally sighed and pulled a chair out from the unnecessarily large table, pointing at another one for her to use. "Fine. I'll give you the basics of what you need to know. Nothing more, as long as you're being snarky with me."

"Snark this." She put her fingers under her chin and flicked them at him, but grabbed a chair and dropped into it, leaning back with her feet propped up on the table. "Alright, Laveau. I'm listening."

Caleb shook his cigarette at her, held between two fingers. "Marie Laveau. Voodoo Queen. There's that wit." Crystal held her hands out and did a mocking half bow. Caleb took his pack of cigarettes out, removing one more before putting it upright on the table. "Runes have limits, just as much as a bullet from your gun can only travel so far. You start with a base; in this example, we'll be going with the one for shield." Lifting the pack, his fingers glowing that same white she'd seen countless times tonight, he started tracing an emblem on the tabletop. So that was what the white was - they were forming a shield.

Setting the pack down, he took the time to light his next dose of cancer before continuing. "As you've discovered when shooting and putting one of my magi in critical condition, every rune requires time to draw. Your own skill depends on the time needed - if you can draw it quickly enough;" he turned, his finger dancing. What must have been a base rune glowed large in his palm, before his fingers started tracing five more symbols around it. A bolt of lightning flew from the base rune, striking the wall, seven in rapid succession - each one a different color. He was showing off. "You can be a force to be reckoned with. But that takes time to master each individual rune. And there are countless combinations, with different reactions. Not all of which we have figured out." Turning back to her, he pointed to the table, began drawing the small runes around the base.

"The smaller runes tell the base rune what you want it to do. I'm only using Shield for now, but you can add diffusion or any others you see fit. Fire. Water. Other concepts like diffusion." He waved his hand, "I'm getting distracted. These small ones here limit the height, width, density. If a shield is too dense, you won't be able to see out of it or retaliate, as it will block you as well. Too thin, and it's pretty well useless. Too wide, and you could harm yourself, or blow apart your surroundings. Break things you didn't want broken. Too small," he demonstrated small by waving away the white mist of one of the limiter runes, redrawing it. The blue shield that had formed around the pack vanished, then reappeared much smaller, cutting the top half of his pack and sending it sliding sideways down its exterior. "Well, imagine that were your head. You understand?"

Crystal nodded, setting the legs of her chair down and leaning over in fascination, tapping her finger against the blue. It had a hard, stone-like resilience to it. "Awesome." She muttered under her breath.

"You're impressed. What about proving me wrong?"

Crystal looked up from under her eyelashes. "I'll think of something. Men are always wrong."

Caleb chuckled, taking a drag on his cigarette. "Now you understand the basic idea and what to look for, should anyone attempt using them in a fight. While we begin takeoff I think you should have a history lesson." Crystal groaned. Caleb blew the smoke at her, forcing her to wave it away. "You said it yourself. You're going to this Aitarra place. You should probably understand it, the magic, and the people there before we arrive." Pointing at the runes on the tabletop, he raised an eyebrow at her. "There was a time when even we didn't know the runes, or if we did, it was lost to us."

"Get out of dodge. You people, ignorant?" Sarcasm dripped from her words, but Caleb chose to aggravate her more by pretending he didn't notice.

"No, it's true. It was I that rediscovered them. Or discovered them, as the case may be. When I was child, no older than eight."

"Eight? When was that, a thousand years ago?"

Caleb looked at her out of the corner of his eyes as he turned his chair to face her better. "Give or take hundreds of years."

Chapter Two
A Lesson in the History of the Present's Past

Offline Pegu

• Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Poster
  • Purloining Pegu
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Ori / Guardian Spirit
  • Coloring: White fur, light purple eyes.
  • Height: 107cm at the top of my head! Ears add a bit more =p
  • Build: Lithe
  • Currently: Curious
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 11:49:38 AM »
I feel sorry for Caleb. I really do  X3
"Shine once more - Before the end."

Offline Ibi Tanvaal

• Probably the least fierce spider you'll ever meet
  • Xceptional Xenops
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Guess who's back?
    • Awards
  • Species: Silver Fox
  • Coloring: Grey, duh...
  • Height: 7'1"
  • Weight: 120 kg
  • Build: Toned
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Well, I'm kinda better, but also kinda not?
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 06:41:48 AM »
As do I... Wondering how the next chapter's going
I've returned, though I don't suspect I'll be terribly active. Hey, do you want a cookie?