The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: [Question] Fursuit Making  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Lovebug

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • I am scary!
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Cat/Mix
  • Coloring: Blue!
  • Height: shorty
  • Weight: chubby
[Question] Fursuit Making
« on: May 20, 2016, 03:41:46 PM »
Hello everyone. Upon joining this community, watching videos, and seeing the many forms of Fursuit creations the temptation to have one of my own of my fursona, Leo, is so tempting. But here's the main issue. I'm legally a 'kid' and I am broke so... since there's no possible way I can like trade something in exchange for like art or something. BUT here's where the question part comes in.

What would you all recommend to making it myself? I need the following:

-fur material
-tutorials on how cutting, sewing, etc.
-eye material (what to use to make the eyes LOOK solid from the outside but I can see out it)
-any aditional information you can provide!

I would also love whoever would donate to help me afford one. I have a PayPal and I'd give you art or a MV c:

Offline Nori

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: {Aiklar http://aiklarspecies.webs.com/} & {Eastern Dragon}
  • Coloring: {Black, light blue, purple, turquoise, red and dark blue} & {Purple, lavender, sea green & black}
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 115 lb
  • Build: Lean
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Recuperating
Re: [Question] Fursuit Making
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 08:28:26 PM »
Hey there! I've made two suits so far, one foam and one resin. You can always pm me for specifics!
I still can't commision people because I'm under legal age, but there -are- blanks out there, or you can make your own. For fur, Distinctive Fabrics (online) has beautiful fur, but it can be a bit pricey. Fabric.com usually has pretty cheap specials, like 40% off an order over 50$, etc.
If you search online, Matrices has amazing fursuit tutorials for making and caring for a toony fursuit, as well as Mischief Makers on youtube, they have a few tutorials around.
Most suit makers use Buckram for eyes, but a cheaper alternative is a few layers of screen (like what is used for windows). Really any kind of material that you can paint over and see through should work fine. Most of the time, people make the -whites- of the eyes out of white craft foam, and see through both the colored and pupil of the eye, though some just see out of the pupil, and color the rest of the eye on some kind of material. (I have't looked into this method).
I'd probably be best to just make a partial of you don't have much experience with sewing. My first full suit I made, I messed up a -lot-  and went through 26 needles. Which is a lot XD.
Also, if you have  Hancocks that's still open, they have some furs that are going to mega cheap, since they're closing all their stores. If you do order fur online, order a swatch first to make sure it's what you want!

Hope this helps a teeny bit, but feel free to PM me if you want specifics!