The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Furlosophy: A Thinking Thread  (Read 7293 times)

Offline Grovygrunge

• Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter
  • I am just some guy. That's 'bout it
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: White and blue
  • Height: 5'10
  • Currently: Being current.
Re: Furlosophy: A Thinking Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2016, 10:32:46 PM »
Random people? I don't think that's how romantic relationships work. First you go from acquaintances, to friends, then to partners. Dating some person you've never met just seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2016, 12:29:40 PM »
My view on relationships is it's entirely based on compatibility between you and your partner, that sounds obvious but it does reflect certain consequences here.

So if relationship is entirely based on compatibility, than someone could indeed go into a relationship straight away without going through friends and so forth as Grovy says, and they may still have a very happy and healthy relationship. As long as the two people are compatible, the relationship will work.

However, figuring out whether someone is compatible or not is quite tricky! Most people act differently in public than they do in private, so when you meet someone first off, you may only think their public side is compatible, while their private more secretive side may not be. As well, you and your partner will change over time, which means that if you were compatible at one stage you may not be compatible at a different stage, this is why it's very rare for a relationship to go on and remain healthy and exciting for a long time (while most relationships last a long time, not all of those are happy and healthy).

So going through the friend to partner stage is generally a safer way to get a long-lasting relationship, but there are still chances that the relationship can fail cause you may change, and meeting someone randomly generally won't work out as often because you don't know of someones compatibility, but it can still work out if you're lucky. There's a whole slew of other things that need to be taken into account including how desperate someone is and other internal biases.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Salakar Crocoli

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Red Wolf
  • Coloring: Pale Gold-ish, with some grey patches
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 150
  • Build: Slim
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2016, 05:27:38 AM »
Random people? I don't think that's how romantic relationships work. First you go from acquaintances, to friends, then to partners. Dating some person you've never met just seems like a recipe for disaster to me.

Maybe I wasn't very clear. I didn't mean just a random person off the street. I meant more like a random person that you already know and possibly already have a friendship with. I meant pseudo-random rayher than pure random.

Anoni, I donbt think that two people can ever be completely compatible, and I don't believe two people can ever truely understand each other. I do believe that they can comprehend each other and use their very little understanding to try to make themselves more compatible.

I've been thinking a bit while writing this and something is actually starting to scare me. I don't understand how I think. I can produce sounds using my mouth and I can move my limbs, but I can't tell you what thought, image, or words go through my head to cause it to happen. Obviously, when I talk, I think about what I am going to say, but other than that I just don't get it.

And so, I have a question for you. Can you tell me how you think? Can you remember what goes through your head whrn you move? I'm not gonna be able to sleep tonight because of this.

Please excuse any typos. I'm typing this on mobile.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 05:29:09 AM by Salakar Crocoli »
I'm done with this thing. I don't know what to put here.

Offline YourUnknownHost

• Dancing Dragon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • Species: Cat
  • Coloring: Grey
  • Build: Slightly Skinny
  • Currently: Im back ^w^
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2016, 06:48:39 AM »
You're getting a bit existential. We perceive things, our brain tries to do stuff to fit that situation whether good or bad . We don't tell us to move our arm our brain is and i'm not sure if that means if we have no free will or not. But whatever it is free will or not i love what i'm in right now and i'm actually pretty happy.