The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Monster Hunter (Open Auditions)  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Proto Triose

• Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Poster This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
Monster Hunter (Open Auditions)
« on: April 23, 2016, 08:04:21 AM »
A new sign, freshly cut, was hung over the entrance to the Gathering Hall. "Now Recruiting!" it proclaimed, calling for hunters from anywhere they might journey from. The small town was constantly bombarded with all types of monsters. Unfortunately, most of those hunters never returned, but that was the nature of the job. The pay was good, the hunting fantastic, and the risk of death - if you're in to that kind of thing - was exponentially high. What kind of hunters dared to sign up for this arduous kind of task?

Hopefully, you!

So, this is a role play based off the video game Monster Hunter by Capcom. I've been playing it since the first one, and I always thought it would be fun to have a role play based around it. Just hunting the numerous large monsters and having a good time doing it. It's not really story driven, though there will end up being a relationship between all the characters eventually. When you hunt a ton of monsters together, it tends to happen.

I plan on making a webcomic based on Monster Hunter, so anything we do here might end up in the comic as well, once I get it started. For now, though, it's just for funsies. I'm going to give a list and description of every weapon you can pick from the game, so any fur that hasn't played it will be able to role play with us, still.

Great Sword
 The Great Sword is really easy to understand. It's a giant sword that hits very slowly, but it packs a wicked punch. One of the heaviest damage weapons in the game. The best time to attack with it is when the monster is knocked to the ground. You can charge your downward strike for maximum damage output. Think of it like Cloud's Buster Sword from Final Fantasy VII.

Long Sword
 The Long Sword is like a giant katana. Most of the weapons in the game really would require magic to be able to swing them around and attack like you do, just as a warning. The Long Sword does decent damage, mid-range. The perk is after so many hits, you can turn on a combo amplifier that lets you swing it around like a mad man and get a ton of charged hits off to increase your damage.

Sword and Shield
 The Sword and Shield is as advertised. You get a sword. And you get a shield. The shield can't block every attack, especially by elder dragons, but it's useful if they're charging you and you can't get out of the way. Lower damage, but much faster hits than the Great Sword or Long Sword. You can run up walls and attack at the same time, then jump off and attack in the air with it for a chance at mounting the monster (which I will explain later, when this gets going).

Dual Blades
 A personal favorite of mine. Extremely fast attacking weapons - you're there for the damage, and nothing more. Elemental focus, so the blades themselves do less physical damage (maxing out at around 300 damage per blade) but pack an additional 150-300 elemental damage; if the monster is weak to the element on the blade, it increases that base stat by 1.5 times. There's a move I call the Demon Dance. It drains your stamina, but you get upwards of ten hits per blade with each one for a very sizable damage meter.

Hammer
 The Hammer is pretty self explanatory. You wield a giant mace and smack the crap out of the monster with it. It's used mostly for breaking off parts to weaken the monster, and for smacking it in the head to stun it and keep it from moving. Blunt weapon, so mid-fight sharpening is not horribly necessary.

Hunting Horn
 The Hunting Horn is similar to the Hammer in the way it functions in a fight. However, you can also play a series of notes to add buffs to the party like Wind Pressure Negate, Stamina Drain Negate, Attack Up, Defense Up, Healing, those kinds of things. More of a support role that buffs and heals the party, and runs in to get a few thwacks off when the monster is dropped.

Lance
 Special skill of the lance is a charge that you can hit the monster repeatedly while it's down, or while you run down the length of it. Mid charge, you have the ability to jump and hit the monster, giving a chance at mounting. Comes with a much larger shield to block stronger attacks from monsters.

Gunlance
 It's a lance with a gun. How epic is that? You can't charge - believe me, if you saw it, you would understand why. The shield on this weapon is a Tower Shield. And I mean you might as well be carrying around a Tower as a shield. While keeping the shield up, you can unload five enormous shots into the monster or jab at it with the spear tip. Wyvernfire is a skill that charges the weapon and unloads an enormous blast that could demolish a building, doing as much damage as that building falling on the monster. Downfall is the slow movement - with the weapon out, you can hardly move, and putting the weapon away and taking it out takes a very long time. If you're a tank, this is the one for you.

Switch Axe
 These next two can be confusing because of how they named them and what they do. The Switch Axe is a weapon that you can charge by hitting the monsters. It's very slow moving. Once its charge bar is full, however, you can switch it to a sword form that you can swing a lot faster. Probably about as fast as the sword and shield. The charge ups its damage. In addition, finishing a combo will let you unload a blast of charged energy into the monster.

Charge Blade
 The Charge Blade is one of my off weapons in the game. It has a sword version with a mid-sized shield that can block just about everything, though you still take damage. It has vials that you fill up (blocking will also fill them and decrease its sharpness). Once they're full, you put the shield on your sword and turn it into a giant axe. Unleashing the vials charges the shield tip. Repeat filling the vials, turn it into an axe, and when you unleash a combo it releases a massive wave of shock energy that breaks pieces and stuns the monster, in addition to doing 3x the weapon's base damage. You can also just swing it - every hit (up to 3) does 1.5x, 2x, and 2.5x the damage. Only the finishing move does 3x.

Insect Glaive
 This is my main weapon. It's a stick with two serrated ends. As the name implies, you also have an insect that's kind of like a pet and a fighting friend. Throwing the insect out at certain parts of the monster makes it imbue the insect with a white base, red for attack, or orange for defense. Attack and Defense both up their respective stats, and the white base will up them even further. When you have all three, it's substantial. The Glaive can be spun very quickly, and is a fairly heavy hitter. In addition, you can pole vault any time, any where and jump at the monster for a chance at mounting. With upped attack, you get additional hits while in the air - no attack means only one hit.

Light and Heavy Bowguns
 I'm combining these two because they're very similar. The differences are Light and Heavy. The Light is easier to put away, and you can move much faster with it. The Heavy you move about as fast as a Gunlance. The Light bowgun is much more elemental and status aimed - the bullets it uses are some type of element or things like paralysis or poison. You can use normal, but its actual damage is much lower than the Heavy. The Heavy blowgun is the damage dealer. Using elemental or status shots is nearly pointless, as you have to reload it after one or two. Normal shots have upwards of 12 bullets you can load at a time, and its base damage is much higher.

Bow
 The Bow is exactly what you're thinking. You'll be an epic archer with a giant bow. The perk to the bow is its charged shots - anywhere from Rapid Fire to Spread Shot where you can fire multiple arrows at once. There are usually three levels to the charges. You coat your arrows in Close Range coating, Power coating, Poison coating, etc. There are no elements other than what's on the bow, but you have status shots as well as heavy damage. Done right, the bow can be a nasty damage weapon.

So those are the available weapons. If you're interested in doing a fun and relaxed role play, I would like to know. I can post a character sheet and what we would need, but before going to far with it I want to know if there's any interest for something like this? Look forward to hearing from you all!
  • Signature art by: Lucky978 on Deviantart.com
Sorry for the absence; I had to get my life and my mind together. I missed you all.

Offline coolcoyote

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
  • Species: coyote
Re: Monster Hunter (Open Auditions)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 06:35:47 PM »
actually, yes. I will bea tad slower for the enxt week but yes :)

Offline Razuel

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Most Online
  • A true gentleman fights to protect
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Western Feral Dragon
  • Coloring: Black body,wings(underside is red), Red underbelly, silver-ish Spikes along spine
  • Height: 6' 12''
  • Weight: 217
  • Build: Muscular
Re: Monster Hunter (Open Auditions)
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 05:53:40 PM »
I'm interested!

^ Is really happy, and spreads positivity around the forums and even the world. This person is a really cool and friendly person, and really deserves everything life has to offer. This person is how everyone should be like. When I grow up, I want to be just like Razuel